Sponsored by:

'Check Dipped Beam' Help/Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 10:16 AM
jmacgroup
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 'Check Dipped Beam' Help/Fixes

Hello all. Having much difficulty with the dreaded 'Check Dipped Beam' on my 2008 Cayenne S. Had condensation in the left headlight assembly after brutal cold spell last winter. Applied Silicone gel to seals, dried out unit gently with heat.
My driver's side low-beam headlight does not work (Xenon HID). THe cornering light works sporadically/does not work.
High beam is Fine, as is turn signal and lower fog lights. Issue is that I have to have both headlights working to pass inspection in my state (rapidly coming due), and my regular mechanic can not fix this problem. Took it to the dealer, who quoted me an astronomical price that made it so I am seriously considering trading the car, which would be a shame.
My question: the fix detailed in this post doesn't seem applicable- I have a really good fit plugging the harness into the headlight assembly. Also, can I conclude that the High Beam ALWAYS working correctly would indicate it is something else besides the wiring connection?
What steps should / could I take myself to investigate this that are cost effective, and in what order? I mean, after changing the bulb, checking the connection pins, electrical cleaner, and this trimming of the plastic fix? I do see that some of the wiring inside the headlight assembly has some insulation flaking off and the copper wire is exposed...
Should I get a new harness? Ballast? A whole new (used) headlight assembly? Other??
Any guidance from those with experience with these issues would be appreciated...
Old 06-29-2022, 07:17 PM
Jimmmy
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue with my 05. After following the guide with a dremel and eventually replacing the harnesses, I was still having the same issues. Changing the ballasts out fixed it for me. I went with a set of aftermarket ballasts because they were less expensive than the Porsche ones. I lost auto-leveling, but they work fine otherwise. I'm not sure if you have this option with the 957.
I changed the ballast out around three or four months ago and I haven't had an issue since then. This is an easy DIY job. It took me twenty minutes, but that's including the time I spent watching a youtube video on how to do it.
Depending on what your time is worth, you could swap the ballasts or just order new ones and see if that fixes your issues.
If that doesn't work, I would try switching out the low-beam bulbs. If nothing else, they'll be brighter when they do work.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:11 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 132 Posts

05 and 08 are totally different designs, different electronics.

OP, you fried the ballast/headlight control unit. Unfortunately, the unit attaches to the bottom of the headlight and any water that condenses in the headlights runs, well, to the bottom and fries the unit. This is almost common now with cars getting up in age.

Dealer probably quoted you $1300 for new light, $600 for ballast, and another $350 for installation and programming, so $2250+tax. Let me know if I got close.

You need a new (or used working) ballast, and it will need to be programmed by a dealer or someone with PIWIS. Search around (for "moisture in headlight), there's a bunch of threads on the matter and a number of posts I made with abundant detail. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2022, 09:31 PM
957austin
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I would suggest checking the wiring inside the headlights first. Both 955 and 957 use biodegradable wire inside the headlights that deteriorates and exposes the bare copper which causes shorts. The fact that your cornering light is also flakey makes me suspect wiring over ballast at this point.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:59 PM
delauren667
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slavie
05 and 08 are totally different designs, different electronics.

OP, you fried the ballast/headlight control unit. Unfortunately, the unit attaches to the bottom of the headlight and any water that condenses in the headlights runs, well, to the bottom and fries the unit. This is almost common now with cars getting up in age.

Dealer probably quoted you $1300 for new light, $600 for ballast, and another $350 for installation and programming, so $2250+tax. Let me know if I got close.

You need a new (or used working) ballast, and it will need to be programmed by a dealer or someone with PIWIS. Search around (for "moisture in headlight), there's a bunch of threads on the matter and a number of posts I made with abundant detail. Good luck!

Recently, I bought a 2008 Porsche Cayenne from a family member, but it’s not in showroom condition. . I read a few of your post and it’s very informative. Both of my dipped beam headlights are off or broken, but high bean are fine.
I’m suspecting the ballast as the culprit. What watts is needed for the ballast and where would you purchase a ballast?

Quick Reply: 'Check Dipped Beam' Help/Fixes