When is it my right for a LOANER?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 02:17 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by George from MD
My Porsche dealer won't provide loaners (even on appointments) as I didn't buy the car from them.

My BMW dealer will and does so gladly-no questions asked. On the 2001 X5 I didn't buy from them and even on a 98 528 (which I didn't buy from them either) long out of warranty.

Guess which dealer I will visit first when I'm shopping for a new SUV?

Porsche, and quite a few Porsche dealers it seems, have a lot to learn when it comes to service. Around here (the Gaithersburg MD area) the local VW dealer trumps them. Hands down.
I hope your not talking about Rockville VW (whatever there name is) because I couldn't get a sales person in there (two separate visits) to talk about a Tourage with me.

Went over the Porsche dealer and was treated like a king.

Strange how different people have different opinions on dealers based on their experiences
Old 04-26-2004, 02:37 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

The Rockville VW dealer is Congressional. The Porsche dealer is Rockville Porsche- formerly Manhattan. The latter treated me very well early on- on both the Audi and Porsche sides. I bought a number of cars there and was very happy with them.

But I think their service and sales departments took a serious nose-dive after they were purchased by Sonic Automotive. They lost the best service manager and one of the best mechanics I ever met. Their sister dealership (BMW of Fairfax) was also purchased by Sonic and took a similar nose-dive in the sales department but maintained a very good service department- thanks in large part to BMW's insistence from what I heard.

Ironically (or just to show how things change) I now take the BMW's to VOB- which used to have a terrible reputation but which I now swear by.

Sonic, to my knowledge, is based out of Charlotte NC and is one of the "mega-dealerships" owning many dealers of various makes in the South and East. They specialize in growth by buying established dealerships and have a reputation for ruthlessly cutting costs and installing their own management.

The dealer, IMO, can make a good car bad or a bad car good. Porsche has some good ones in this area (Arlington, Tischer) and some that aren't so good (Rockville and- much worse based on my experience and what I've heard- HBL). Porsche does not, from what I have seen, seem to take nearly as active an interest in their dealers or their practices as BMW does.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:40 AM
jarama beige
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear MagicDracula:

At my first service visit, the dealer said (via telephone) they would provide a Porsche loaner. Sounds great. However, the loaner actually turned out to be an itsy-bitsy Chevrolet from an off-site rental agency. With my second service visit, I went to a different dealer (30 minutes away in the next town) and they provided a free Mercedes SUV for 2 days. However, when it came time to pay the service bill, this dealer charged over $200 for an oil change and another $130 to rotate the tires. Watch out for those "free" loaners.

Quick Reply: When is it my right for a LOANER?