Sponsored by:

Not starting when warm?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 05:00 AM
Colly
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not starting when warm?

2008 Cayenne S, 70k miles, had a problem a while back where the car sometimes would not start. It would just chug once, maybe twice and stop. Usually I try again and it's fine, occasionally takes a 3rd try to start. So the garage replaced the starter motor, battery was less than a year old so I got it tested and they said it's fine.

Seems to be happening again now many months later. I notice it mostly happens when the car is warm. I come back to the car after parking and it fails to start. Rarely happens first thing in the morning.

Any ideas what this might be?
Old 07-03-2020, 12:29 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Is it like this?
I had a similar problem. The only clue was a one-time code thrown for crank position sensor, even though the tachometer moves while trying to start.
I replaced the sensor, and quickly decided it was all a lie because the same thing happened soon thereafter once.
Strangely though, it only happened that one other time and has not returned in many months, whereas it used to be every day like clockwork, after parking for an errand and restarting when hot like you say.
My advice is buy the sensor and wave it around under the hood. Maybe hang it from the rear-view as a charm.
The following users liked this post:
deilenberger (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 01:21 AM
user 7972979723
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say it’s likely time for a new starter..... but see you already replaced. If under your shop’s warranty, I would have them try a replacement anyhow if no charge to you.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

Sounds to me like voltage drop under the load of the starter like from a bad ground connection. I'd check the grounding points on the battery itself, where the grounds strap attached to the chassis right in front of the driver seat, and at the starter.

Could also be a weak battery or one without a high enough CCA rating.

To test the battery, with the car not running, open and close the power tailgate 3 times in a row. If the hatch stalls part of the way up on any of these attempts, the battery voltage is low from either a discharged or bad battery (weak or dead cell).

Quick Reply: Not starting when warm?