Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of Common Coolant Leaks to Expect?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 04:22 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts
Default List of Common Coolant Leaks to Expect?

I have an 03 955 turbo. 75,000 miles For a while I've smelled a faint whiff of coolant sometimes after driving.
I can see slight evidence of coolant getting spit on the beauty covers near the right (driver's) side and saw some other slight weepage residue underneath around that side.
It's still a very small leak, but have nothing but time now to address it.
On my old BMWs there were common failures like a plastic expansion tank, plastic t-stat housing, a hot water valve for the heater and the radiator neck.
Are there similar "not if but when" repairs for my pig? Maybe it's my alternator coolant connection?
(I did the the plastic to aluminum coolant pipe conversion and all of the Ts in the back got changed to aluminum a year ago.)
Old 04-04-2020, 05:09 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 225 Posts

Expansion tank, water pump and plastic coolant pipes under intake are common. You already know about the coolant pipes and t's from your post. Look at the water pump and the expansion tank. At the age of our vehicles now, the alternator could be suspect as well. It's pricey.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:44 AM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks. As usual, I know I just have to dig in and answer my own question. Just looking for easy answers.
With all that's going on in the world, it seems like this board is slow. I'm afraid of posting anything "OT" but... can't we get together more as a board and share life?
I mean there's this board, then there's "rentech" whatever the hell that is... meanwhile a facebook group I somehow got subscribed to has like 30 posts a day with all sorts of videos and stuff and its just too much since I only look at it on my phone.
I'm not sure I have a point and I lost my thought.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:35 AM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 225 Posts

ot is the general discussion area about life and politics and such. We keep these as clean as possible for technical stuff.
When I was a on Facebook (have since left and I have to say it's refreshing) I got very frustrated because the people there chatting seemed unaware of the vast technical resource here at Rennlist and would ask the same questions over and over and over. The there is the whole lack topic organization and a dismal search function. I'd have to say if you don't want to ask or give technical help in your respective vehicle spot on Rennlist, then go to OT and chat away! Kind of the point of "off topic". About the only spot in your particular vehicle forum is "what did you do to your.... today."
The following 2 users liked this post by jeff spahn:
deilenberger (04-05-2020), thesteve (04-05-2020)

Quick Reply: List of Common Coolant Leaks to Expect?