Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front differential experts please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 09:57 PM
torakki
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Front differential experts please?

I'm working on an '05 Base model that had some suspension damage due to the owner hitting a curb. And, from the damage, it was quite the hit. The wheels (front and rear) were broke, the strut bent, the half shaft broke, lower control arm bent, brake line kinked. This is all, drivers side, in front. I replaced all the parts with new pieces but now, once all back together, some hidden damage appears. It seems the output flange, from the differential, has come disconnected. As you can see in the photo, the shaft is coming out. Half shaft is on the left and the red lines is the gap. I also added a photo of the strut bottom to show how far this was bent. So, does anyone know what could be going on in the dif? I see, there is a cir clip on the end of the shaft, maybe knocked off? Or, the shaft is sheared in half? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:56 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

I'm no expert but, yes. It's going to be one or the other.
The following users liked this post:
torakki (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 02:07 PM
torakki
Advanced

After thinking about this, I'm sure it's not a broken shaft. When putting in gear, it will move forward about 6 feet then it's like the shaft slips out and no more drive. So, maybe the cir clip? But, looks like you have to take the dif out and apart to change it?
Thanks for the response, (and bump). Other ideas?

Old 03-26-2020, 03:20 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 132 Posts

The axle stub just pops out.

Check this vid, start at 2:32:

If it's good, you should be able to pop it back in and drive off. If you already tried that and it won't stay in, the c-clip is broken, or worse. If the clip is missing, it's gotta be inside somewhere and now at risk of getting stuck in the wrong place. See inside if you can spot it.
Also note, entirely possible you'll need to replace that axle if it got over-stretched and yanked out of the diff. But, cross that bridge when you get there.

Do NOT drive the car with axle popped out like that. You don't get full engagement, obviously, so you can strip out the axle or diff and they you're really hosed.
The following 2 users liked this post by slavie:
19psi (03-26-2020), torakki (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 04:54 PM
hopsis
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

6 feet distance is roughly the same lenght as one full tire revolution or circumference (is it spelled like that, english isn't my native language) of tire. That equals to one revolution of driveaxle. There could be some internal problems if it always slips out at the same point of revolution.
torakki (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 10:12 PM
torakki
Advanced

Slavie - You da Man!! I've been to two different shops today, one a "Porsche/Mercedes" mechanic and both thought something internal and neither wanted to deal with it. So, I took the wheel off and wiggled and pushed on the half shaft to try and "pop" it back in. I got a 2"X2" and tapped lightly with a hammer on the half shaft. Didn't budge so I wiggled the brake rotor a little till the splines lined up, then a few taps more and it started seating back in. I then pulled and pushed and it felt like it was locked in. I slow test down the street and all seems OK. Then, a trip up to Les Schwab for an alignment and now drives straight and true. Though, Les Schwab said both front and rear left side were pretty messed up.
Thanks for the responses. And Hopsis, your scaring me with the math.

19psi (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 11:04 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 132 Posts

Good mechanics are hard to come by these days. Most of those that call themselves "mechanics" are really parts swappers, unable to diagnose much more than worn brake pads. Nah I take that back - bring the car in for state inspection and "mechanics" will fail to recognize the difference b/w 80% of pads left and 8% of pads left and will tell you you need new pads in both cases.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:40 PM
torakki
Advanced

Slavie, I think your right again. The two places I talked to, didn't want the work. To complicated or to big of a job or whatever. Maybe easier to just change brakes and oil all day.
I did a final oil change and engine detail and the car is done.
And the owner is on his way over to pick it up with a handful of green.

Quick Reply: Front differential experts please?