Sponsored by:

Is this a rat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 02:47 PM
RavenSoul
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is this a rat?

Was looking at my engine bay and noticed what looked like some leaves or something around my passenger side intake. So I began trying to remove this from there and I think i found a decayed rat stuck under my intake manifold. Any idea guys? I thought maybe it was a tree local to California but that is because i'm not native to here.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:28 PM
RavenSoul
Track Day

After taking it up to the gas station and using their air to blow it out from under there, I am going to have to assume it was an animal. It smelled pretty foul when i was removing it. I guess its a good tip to always look around for little critters who needed a warm home.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:41 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

Welcome to California!

From those front teeth, that does look like a rat. If you are not convinced, I'd take a closer look just at those, and they will probably be unmistakable.

Since you now know it was there, in addition to seeking warmth and shelter from the neighborhood cat(s), they have been known to eat the insulation on wires in the engine bay (on all cars). So you might want to keep this in mind if you ever get a weird engine problem that might be caused by a damaged wire.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:43 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Don't eat it. That's how this whole mess started.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:13 PM
RavenSoul
Track Day

Yea, i believe you are right, I found some rat droppings later when inspecting it further. I will have the mechanic give her a look over here next month when i plan on having the coolant pipes replaced. I have had a couple of issues that could be from that rat chewing on some vacuum lines or wires. Cant wait to have it at least looked over.

Also Thank you, I hope the weather gets warmer soon!
Old 03-20-2020, 01:47 AM
RSbob
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Old 03-20-2020, 04:37 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RavenSoul
Yea, i believe you are right, I found some rat droppings later when inspecting it further. I will have the mechanic give her a look over here next month when i plan on having the coolant pipes replaced. I have had a couple of issues that could be from that rat chewing on some vacuum lines or wires. Cant wait to have it at least looked over.

Also Thank you, I hope the weather gets warmer soon!
Sounds good. I have noticed a few times over the years (not such a problem any more, now that our neighborhood cat is on the prowl) that the first sign of a rodent (rat, squirrel, chipmunk) issue is nuts or snail shells tucked in corners. Usually the engine cover makes all of that invisible on these cars, but on other cars, you can look down and may notice a pile of snail shells, etc.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:25 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts

!!!
Illuminate under there with a blinking LED or just a lamp
It will keep the pack rats away from your car and its wiring insulation

Quick Reply: Is this a rat?