Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 05:08 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2004 CTT Can't pass NYS emissions, Need Waiver

Hi All,

Anyone know of a NYS inspection station near Long Island willing to write a DMV Waiver? My 2004 955 CTT will NOT pass (have OBD scanner, CEL on before all monitors are even ready!). Moving onto the city in six months, and I will likely sell her then, but I need to be on the road for the time being. Very frustrating.

I’ve been to a couple of my local stations, and they absolutely refuse to issue a waiver, claiming they’ll be audited asap if they do. I’m not asking for anything illegal, and I’m willing to pay the $450 required to do some work to satisfy NYS. Help, anyone?

Inspection expires end of this month (Feb ’20), so ANY suggestions sincerely appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Jeff
Old 02-21-2020, 05:33 PM
BrianC72gt
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Any idea what the CEL is for? Error codes?

Do you have any OBDII tools? Even a $20 Bluetooth reader and Torque on your phone?

This will allow you to see your Readiness status - including which parts have failed or are incomplete, and permit you to see some generic error codes and clear them. Note that when you clear error codes, Readiness resets to incomplete. This means you have to drive the car around to set readiness before emissions testing.

Last edited by BrianC72gt; 02-21-2020 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:41 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Brian,

A nearby shop found these codes: 507, 2187 (x2), P0011 and a turbocharger overboost (don't have the code handy). I’ve since installed my own OBD scanner (today) and have so far gotten 2187 (2x) and P0011 (pending), but the CEL is already lit up even before all monitors have had enough time to reset as "emission ready," so I have NO "window of opportunity."

Had other repair work performed in the last couple of months when mechanic advised of multiple vacuum leaks -- would have to pull intake manifold, looking at lots of work to be done.

I'm simply not financially able to proceed with all that at this time (contrary to what I've done in the past), and likely selling once I move, so just trying to get through the year.

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by k2kv; 02-21-2020 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-21-2020, 07:08 PM
BrianC72gt
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

507 and 2187 point to a vacuum leak. 0011 is cam advanced more the expected. Again, if the engine is revving higher than expected through a vacuum leak, the cam advance would correspond to higher rpms.
I just did had the intake manifold out replacing the starter, coolant tees, and every damn plastic pipe I dared to look at with brass tees and reinforced silicone hose. It's a tedious job, so yeah, i get it. I used to know a guy in Lindenhurst on the South Shore, but he's retired and I left NYC 10 years ago. I'm no help.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:22 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks again Brian,

Appreciate the info! Yeah, she revs like crazy in Park/neutral, leaks a bit of oil and smokes on startup. Otherwise, she looks great, and still performs like a supercar.

I'll have to find a solution next week or I'll be VOR.

Jeff
Old 02-22-2020, 12:57 AM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

I feel your pain... FYI, if you do manage to get a waiver, you will be completely SOL in 1 year: apparently, if you were issued a waiver, next time you have to go to a state owned inspection station where there will be no monkey business. So, either fix it or sell it within a year. Might as well diagnose it and try to fix. Maybe the vacuum leak is something that can be fixed within the $450 budget, who knows. Any competent shop should be able to hook up a smoke machine and at least find the leak for under $100.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:14 AM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Slavie,

It's not the smoke that's preventing me from passing. It's the presumption that there are lots of vacuum leaks, and a very large outlay to follow.

I'll be selling her before another year passes, so I'm not really concerned about next year. And, I'm not looking for any "monkey business," just a reputable NYS inspection station that can perform some work where required and, if it still won't pass afterward, is willing to issue a waiver. It's unbelievable to me that I'm unable to locate a licensed NYS inspection station that will agree to do what is clearly legal, and written as part of the NYS regs!

And that's why I've turned to the forum, hoping someone can point me to the right shop.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 02-22-2020, 11:30 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

hypothetically of course an easily an inspection sticker comes off with a razor blade when a car is left in the sun with the defroster runnin for a bit. Say you needed to clean the windshield really thorough, under your sticker and needed to put the sticker back, ya know? Worst case you mess up the sticker, your friend can get his car reinspected for a mere $20...
Old 02-22-2020, 11:52 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Have you been calling the shops, or actually showing up? I can see how shops would blow you off over the phone, especially if they don't know you.

Originally Posted by MM951
hypothetically of course an easily an inspection sticker comes off with a razor blade when a car is left in the sun with the defroster runnin for a bit. Say you needed to clean the windshield really thorough, under your sticker and needed to put the sticker back, ya know? Worst case you mess up the sticker, your friend can get his car reinspected for a mere $20...
Registration on a vehicle cannot be renewed if said vehicle does not have inspection sticker tied to its registration number. Not sure what happens if a cop pulls you over and runs the car through the system, questions may be asked that there are no easy answers to.
Having just "a" sticker is only useful for parking the car on the street where a meter maid is likely to cruise around. They watch registration stickers like hawks along with making sure your parking time is paid up.
If you don't need to park on the street, you can cruise around for months. Or, until your registration expires. Ask me how I know.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:10 PM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by k2kv
I'll be selling her before another year passes, so I'm not really concerned about next year.
In for $14.99... Shipped.

Claims insurance...

Old 02-25-2020, 01:15 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Get it smoke tested and nail all those pesky vacuum and boost leaks, once and for all.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:17 AM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 116 Posts

We should get a group buy together for these Greta Thunberg stickers.
For all of our pigs.
: P

Last edited by thesteve; 02-25-2020 at 11:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Pillow (02-25-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 06:45 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by k2kv
I'll be selling her before another year passes, so I'm not really concerned about next year.
In Cal, you can't sell a car, ie, transfer the title, without a clean smog done within the prior 45 days.

Quick Reply: 2004 CTT Can't pass NYS emissions, Need Waiver