V-belt service : parts question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 01:42 AM
chamilka
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
Default V-belt service : parts question

Hi All,
I am in the process of buying parts for the V-belt service (2008 Cayenne GTS).
I want to replace: Tensioner, tensioner roller, water pump pulley, idler pulley left and idler pulley Right and the Belt. I assume this is the standard list correct. I plan to replace water pump & Thermostat as well.

I have few questions:

1. In Pelican Part I did not find the Roller but found Drive Belt Tensioner Arm with Roller (948-102-403-23). Is that how it is sold? Can’t I just buy the Roller and install it without having to buy the arm assembly?

2. I have a question about the Tensioner. Per the Part Catalog, part number for the Tensioner is 948 102 261 21 which I located in Pelican Parts: https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...948-102-261-21. For some reason it says “we can not confirm this part will fit your car”. I wonder why.
3. regarding the Water pump. Porsche one for $400. I typically like to buy parts by OEM suppliers, however I could not find an OEM brand for the Water pump. Following brands have them: Laso, GEBR, & Uro Parts. Any experience with these brands?

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

I've used Laso pumps before. Make sure whatever pump you use has a composite Impeller, not a metal one.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:14 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I've used Laso pumps before. Make sure whatever pump you use has a composite Impeller, not a metal one.
Pros and cons for both types of impellers. Metal impellers can and will gouge the case face if/when the bearings start to fail. Composite blades can cause passage blockages if/when they fail. On and on and on. Moral of the story: Buy the best bearings from OE supplier and replace based on time in the engine, not mileage. Bearing quality is root cause of H2O pump problems.

I do not want to “cheap” myself with a “bargain” water pump.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:13 AM
Skitch
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been doing some similar research for a spring project to do a similar service on my 09 CTTS. I kind of landed on this kit as the way I think I'm going for the belt refresh. (I haven't seen the tensioner arm seperate in my looking either)

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...ine-955beltkt1

And have read the suggestions on the water pump as well, but I noticed on Pelican's site even the OEM Porsche pump is marked as having a metal impeller. I'm wondering if what came factory was composite and they have updated the part? Or was it originally metal?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog..._pg1.htm#item3

Tim
The following users liked this post:
v10rick (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 02:15 PM
chamilka
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skitch; I kind of landed on this kit as the way I think I'm going for the belt refresh. (I haven't seen the tensioner arm seperate in my looking either)
[url
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-drive-belt-kit-contitech-ina-genuine-955beltkt1[/url]
Tim
Thank you, that kit makes it much easier.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:36 PM
chamilka
Rennlist Member

Skittch - thank you for the fcpeuro link. I did not know about them until now. I have been buying parts form Pelican Parts for very long time and love the service. I just compared apples to apples (same brands etc.) for following two services and looks like fcpeuro is cheaper.
Do you have any experience with them. I like the fact that they have kits for everything.

Engine Water Pump and Thermostat Kit:
fcpeuro:Porsche $318.98, free shipping
Pelicans Parts: 447.00, free shipping

fcpeuro: Porsche Accessory Drive Belt Kit 327.83, free shipping
Pelicans Parts:381, free shipping
Old 01-14-2020, 03:50 PM
Skitch
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I pulled their recommendation for another thread for something else and have ordered a few times with them with no issues, maybe some others can chime in with more experiences? I have ordered from Pelican for years as well, and the only issue I've had is some slow shipping, and I'm willing to pay a bit more for their site and service. But sometimes the budget calls for some comparison shopping!

Tim

Quick Reply: V-belt service : parts question