Sponsored by:

Thermostat & Waterpump P2181

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 01:36 PM
Richard Flores
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Thermostat & Waterpump P2181

So I got my first check engine light come up. Shows the code P2181 which from my research shows the thermostat is in the open position. So I need to replace my thermostat (also water pump since it comes out anyway). The other code seems to be a Valve Lift Solenoid Replacement could fix that code. I will try first to replace the coils to see if that code will go away as some threads said that it did with new ignition coils.

Anything else that I can replace for upcoming maintenance while getting this fixed? Seems like my extended warranty doesnt cover the thermostat but does cover the waterpump so that is a shame.

I also will be doing an oil change, spark plugs and coil pack.

If anyone in Houston wants to help me with this install that would be great. LOL. Ill buy the beer and food!

Last edited by Richard Flores; 01-07-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:10 PM
Richard Flores
Advanced

So far I have the below parts.

Read that I should do the intake manifold gaskets since manifold comes off. Also to do the serpentine belt while Im in there.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:59 AM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You don't say what engine, but on the V8, you dont take the manifold off. I recently did my T-stat and pump. On your list, you wont need a new pulley, porsche lubricant, or new torx bolts. Instead of Porsche lube, you can just use silicone spray. It is just to help get the socket in without damage. I needed just under 2 gallons of antifreeze
Old 01-08-2020, 09:06 AM
Richard Flores
Advanced

Originally Posted by Avec
You don't say what engine, but on the V8, you dont take the manifold off. I recently did my T-stat and pump. On your list, you wont need a new pulley, porsche lubricant, or new torx bolts. Instead of Porsche lube, you can just use silicone spray. It is just to help get the socket in without damage. I needed just under 2 gallons of antifreeze
​​​​​​Yes it's the V8. Good to know about the manifold. Which tutorial did you follow?
Old 01-08-2020, 09:44 AM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 225 Posts

Just use this:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm
Old 01-08-2020, 11:17 AM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Flores
​​​​​​Yes it's the V8. Good to know about the manifold. Which tutorial did you follow?
I used the Pelican Parts tutorial. The biggest problem I had was removing the lower radiator hose to pull the radiator. I had pulled the nose off for a different project, but it turned out to make access much easier. You can get much closer and work easier. Pelican has a tutorial on that as well. It is much easier than you think