Towing a locked Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 09:26 AM
sand8
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Towing a locked Cayenne

Hi Gents,
My daughter 957S was towed from a parking lot without her knowing. Apparently the parking area was reserved for specific shop only. Anyway, we found the car 9 miles away in the secured gated parking lot and after paying $250, we allowed to get the car back.
My question is, how did they tow the car that is 4WD, armed, gearbox in "P" and foot brake on? Can the front wheel free wheeling?

Thanks,

Sinclair
Old 12-19-2019, 09:56 AM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 225 Posts

The tow companies have dollies they can put under the wheels. If it was in a tight spot they just drag it out and then put the dollies under the wheels.
The following users liked this post:
sand8 (12-19-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 07:28 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

That sucks. If you haven't picked up the car yet, I would video tape the first start and drive. If they dragged it out without dollies, they could have done some damage to the transmission or differentials.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:56 AM
NelaK
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

The towing companies are liable* for any damage they cause to your vehicle (in most places). Most reasonable companies when they get a call for a Porsche or other exotic vehicle know to send a flatbed or other equipment suited to towing with minimal risk of damage to the vehicle. They want to get their fee from someone already pissed off at them. The fewer excuses they give you, the better for their business.

* Liable if you can prove they caused the damage. Which can be hard to prove. The best approach is that when you go to pick it up and pay your fees, demand to be able to inspect the vehicle and move it (within their lot) before you sign any waivers which probably clear them of any liability.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:07 AM
sand8
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all. We picked up the car the same night after paying $250. I went around the car to check the body and wheels, as well as underside the car to check if any damage or oil/diff leak before disarming the car. After that, I disarmed the car and start the engine and no warning light. A short drive in their parking lot to check the drive train. Not issue.
What surprised me is the car alarm did not go off when the car is being moved/Tilted? I guess the Cayenne don't have the tilt sensor like some other car alarm system?. I have to check the manual again to find out.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:59 AM
hopsis
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

There is a sensor, it can be toggled on/off from the instrument cluster menu. Maybe it is deactivated?

Quick Reply: Towing a locked Cayenne