Sponsored by:

Wrecked 2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 02:08 PM
newmexico
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecked 2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Hello, my wife rear ended a Jeep truck yesterday pretty good. The Jeep had a hitch that punched through radiator, condenser etc. Enough damage that I don’t want to fix it. Is there a place that buys these vehicles and parts them out? Has 93,000 miles.
[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/55015683-a25d-4ecf-a09c-c349b49999f6

Last edited by newmexico; 10-24-2019 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Importing picture
Old 10-24-2019, 02:22 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Sorry to hear. Maybe her next car could have automatic emergency braking? I would just put it on ebay if I were you. You might get about 2kish for it.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:24 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Ouch! Hope she's ok. Yeah, that Cayenne is pretty tore up. Looks like it might have gone far enough into the Cayenne to damage the front of the engine too. Someone here on Rennlist might want it if they're close enough to you. Craigslist might be the easiest route for you.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:57 PM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Poor brand new Gladiator!

Yeah, try CL first as it is easy and local.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:10 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

I have to say I am impressed with how the Gladiator held up. I didn't think they would be that stout. A Wrangler would not have faired so well. Do you have any other shots?
The following users liked this post:
Pillow (10-25-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 08:20 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts

Does she always come into the driveway that hot?
Old 10-24-2019, 09:01 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Really sorry to hear that and see the photo. I understand you not wanting to fix it, but I bet it's not that bad as far as fixability.
Hope you buy another one if you do get rid of her.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:15 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

It most likely has one item many people want...an engine without the tick of death. So yeah, the $2K mentioned above should be easy to get.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:05 AM
RSbob
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by thesteve;[url=tel:16188436
16188436]Hope you buy another one if you do get rid of her.
TheSteve, I hope you are not talking about his wife.

Actually sorry to hear about the accident and glad to hear the Mrs is ok. Automatic braking on the next car is probably not a bad idea as long as it is not a Datsun (Nissan) SUV since there have been over 700 complaints of them unexplainably braking to a complete stop with zero cause.
The following users liked this post:
thesteve (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 01:07 AM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbob
unexplainably braking to a complete stop with zero cause.
Anecdotally, they also break with seemingly zero cause.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:59 AM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 132 Posts

Did the airbag deploy? Doesn't look too bad, but this type of accident repair is certainly not for everyone, so I can understand you wanting to just dump the car. Call an auction house (Copart Direct or similar) and see what they will offer you for the car - not the best price, but was much better than just any old junkyard, and they came to pick up the car in a day or two with a check in hand last time I used them.

Not to take it too far off topic, but automatic breaking is not the answer. Not for now, at least, as the current generation of these systems fall very short of what the marketing departments want you to believe. I was really hyped up all about it when I was considering a new car, until I did some research...
1. It only works under the best of circumstances. Night or inclement weather driving, forget it...
2. Too many false alarms, so people frequently turn the whole thing off
3. Creates false sense of security for drivers that buy these features with intention of relying on them. Would you rather rely on the system that's more likely to fail than not, or not have such as system in the first place?

There are many articles on the topic, here's just one of them from Car & Driver.
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ted-explained/

And a quote from above that sums is up pretty well:
"These systems do their best work preventing the kind of crashes that are easily avoided by an attentive driver."
Old 10-25-2019, 09:00 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 571 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
It most likely has one item many people want...an engine without the tick of death. So yeah, the $2K mentioned above should be easy to get.
Exactly. Great donor that someone could repair for less than swapping the motor.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:13 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

Man that stinks.

With 955 values, I think that's going to be totalled unless you fix it on your own, but since the Jeep is a brand new car there's not going to be any way to do it without involving insurance, so I think your plan to scrap it is the right one.

Contact LA dismantlers and look on ebay for people selling Cayenne parts, then use the "contact seller" link to send them a note with the details and get some offers from them.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:23 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by slavie
Did the airbag deploy? Doesn't look too bad, but this type of accident repair is certainly not for everyone, so I can understand you wanting to just dump the car. Call an auction house (Copart Direct or similar) and see what they will offer you for the car - not the best price, but was much better than just any old junkyard, and they came to pick up the car in a day or two with a check in hand last time I used them.

Not to take it too far off topic, but automatic breaking is not the answer. Not for now, at least, as the current generation of these systems fall very short of what the marketing departments want you to believe. I was really hyped up all about it when I was considering a new car, until I did some research...
1. It only works under the best of circumstances. Night or inclement weather driving, forget it...
2. Too many false alarms, so people frequently turn the whole thing off
3. Creates false sense of security for drivers that buy these features with intention of relying on them. Would you rather rely on the system that's more likely to fail than not, or not have such as system in the first place?

There are many articles on the topic, here's just one of them from Car & Driver.
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ted-explained/

And a quote from above that sums is up pretty well:
"These systems do their best work preventing the kind of crashes that are easily avoided by an attentive driver."
I have found the XC90's pilot assist braking to be flawless and I have done some rigorous testing of it, because the car bores me otherwise (probably a good thing for a family hauler.) The steering I will give a C-.

Quick Reply: Wrecked 2005 Porsche Cayenne S