Sponsored by:

Please post the fix for burned-out front turn signal contacts

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 02:21 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Please post the fix for burned-out front turn signal contacts

A year ago, I saw a post here mentioning a fix for the chronic 955 problem of turn signal integral contacts with the bulb holder arcing thru. IIRC, it mentioned cutting part of headlamp assembly with a Dremel and somehow hard wiring the turn signals bulb holders. I'd appreciate a full description, or better yet pics, of how to do this so I can avoid replacing the whole headlamp assembly again. I also want to avoid doing anything like a hardwire fix that will be defeated by the ECM. Thanks.

Last edited by DWPC; 10-18-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:01 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

we hate to say it but a new headlight assembly.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:52 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dr914
we hate to say it but a new headlight assembly.
Did that once. Not gonna pay hundreds to fix this super dumb-*** failure by Porsche a second time. I'll figure out a Rube Goldberg if I need to, but would prefer a proven method. It's common enough that it should be a safety recall, but few have bothered to report it to the NHTSA.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:15 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

bump
Old 10-17-2019, 04:51 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

As a new Cayenne owner I'm curious about this as well. Since I've only had it for 2 weeks, I haven't pulled anything apart yet and haven't inspected the headlights, but would like to head this off at the pass if I could. I know on my Saab, the ground on the taillights were insufficient so it would melt the connector and the ground terminal, but you could add in a ground and have no issue after that. Anyway, what's the cause, similar issue?
Old 10-17-2019, 05:27 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sweetskillsrk
As a new Cayenne owner I'm curious about this as well. Since I've only had it for 2 weeks, I haven't pulled anything apart yet and haven't inspected the headlights, but would like to head this off at the pass if I could. I know on my Saab, the ground on the taillights were insufficient so it would melt the connector and the ground terminal, but you could add in a ground and have no issue after that. Anyway, what's the cause, similar issue?
There are two fair common problems. First is the small (aluminum?) integral contacts in the headlamp assembly for the turn signal bulb holders wear through (someone said from arcing) and aren't replaceable short of replacing the entire expensive headlamp assembly. I paid $300 for a used replacement. I'm planning a surgical solution to hardwire the bulb holder and hoped someone had done it before. I've wondered if conductive grease on the contacts might prevent the problem. The second problem is disintegration of the insulation on the wiring harness to the headlamp assembly; rarer, but not uncommon on 955s. This is fixed by replacing the headlamp wiring harness and isn't very expensive.

IMO, both should be recall items as the TS's are mandatory safety items that should have a reasonably long service life, and failures should be reported to NHTSA.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:58 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DWPC
The second problem is disintegration of the insulation on the wiring harness to the headlamp assembly; rarer, but not uncommon on 955s.

IMO, both should be recall items as the TS's are mandatory safety items that should have a reasonably long service life, and failures should be reported to NHTSA.
I think the second problem is much more common and likely to cause a fire. Pretty much everyone who has recently opened up their headlights recently has complained of the same issue. We should all probably file NHTSA reports for this. I would expect this kind of disintegrating wire ****e out of an economy car, but not a Porsche. Same with all the failed plastic parts.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:10 PM
gibbsy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have replaced the burned out contactor with an electrical bonding foil & dialetric grease for arc reduction
I have also hardwired the turn signal with 1mm wire to the harness. a splice & solder with heat shrink insul wrapping has left it is functional service for 3 years

No point in replacing headlight assembly if this can be achieved.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:13 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nodoors
I think the second problem is much more common and likely to cause a fire. Pretty much everyone who has recently opened up their headlights recently has complained of the same issue. We should all probably file NHTSA reports for this. I would expect this kind of disintegrating wire ****e out of an economy car, but not a Porsche. Same with all the failed plastic parts.
I only said that because when I posted about the TS issue a year ago, I had many more comments on burned out TS contacts than bad insulation. I'd bet you could check almost any 30+ yr old hulk at the salvage yard and find perfectly sound (brass) TS lamp contacts and wiring.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:47 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DWPC
I only said that because when I posted about the TS issue a year ago, I had many more comments on burned out TS contacts than bad insulation. I'd bet you could check almost any 30+ yr old hulk at the salvage yard and find perfectly sound (brass) TS lamp contacts and wiring.
Agreed. Both issues are unacceptable garbage situations, I just think the insulation will affect all Cayennes at some point and the turn signal contact issue will affect fewer than that. The longer I own the CTT the less I like Porsche as a brand.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:36 AM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the replies. As much time as Porsche spends on the fine finishes and the interior, they definitely could've engineered the rest of the vehicle in a similar fashion. A ski bag built into the seat, but the contacts on the lights burns out? Come on son.

Quick Reply: Please post the fix for burned-out front turn signal contacts