Sponsored by:

Rear end wobble and squeak

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 04:52 AM
Crocodon
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear end wobble and squeak

Hi- my 2006 CTTS has developed a squeak / creak when going over bumps at low speeds. There’s also a wobble at motorway speeds. Both appear to be coming from the rear passenger corner. The wobble gets worse around 70mph and then fades a bit.

The obvious candidate for the wobble is the wheels / tyres- but the garage said they are fine (although I don’t know how thoroughly they looked).

Are there any components that could be to blame for the wobble? Control arms, etc? (Again, I specifically asked the garage to check these, the anti-roll bars, etc. and was told they are fine.)

I have this feeling that the squeak and the wobble are connected...
Old 07-19-2019, 06:34 AM
MarkGolf
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Did they remove the wheels and put them on a balancing machine?? Would be IMPOSSIBLE for them to check visually otherwise.

Squeak will be a bushing, sometimes bushes appear OK but they're not, some of them you can't really see without undoing the joint, balljoints go loose but they normally knock, bushes squeak.

How many miles on the car?
Old 07-19-2019, 06:39 AM
Crocodon
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarkGolf
Did they remove the wheels and put them on a balancing machine?? Would be IMPOSSIBLE for them to check visually otherwise.

Squeak will be a bushing, sometimes bushes appear OK but they're not, some of them you can't really see without undoing the joint, balljoints go loose but they normally knock, bushes squeak.

How many miles on the car?
Hi! Yes, they put the wheels on a balancing machine - I've just fitted new tyres.

Is it possible that old bushings could allow play in the wheel, resulting in wobbling? The car has 105k miles. Front control arm bushings done, but not the rear to my knowledge.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:44 AM
MarkGolf
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, most definitely. Years ago on a BMW M3, I fitted Powerflex bushes and one of them fell apart and while driving straight, I had terrible wheel wobble, a vibration I felt through the car as the wishbone was just jiggling around.

What about your prop bearing, is that ok?
Old 07-19-2019, 08:24 AM
Crocodon
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarkGolf
Yes, most definitely. Years ago on a BMW M3, I fitted Powerflex bushes and one of them fell apart and while driving straight, I had terrible wheel wobble, a vibration I felt through the car as the wishbone was just jiggling around.

What about your prop bearing, is that ok?
It was replaced a few years ago - but I'll get the garage to check this also! Thanks!
Old 07-19-2019, 12:15 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

have you hit anything recently?
Old 07-19-2019, 01:40 PM
Crocodon
Advanced

Originally Posted by dr914
have you hit anything recently?
No- just London potholes. But I’ve only had the car a month or so...

Quick Reply: Rear end wobble and squeak