Sponsored by:

Android HU -- Anyone regret it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 07:05 PM
BlueOvalKid
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android HU -- Anyone regret it?

My PCM is dying and I need to install something new. I've read all of the Android HU threads but still not convinced it's the right direction.

I've always liked to tinker and mess with things but this is an item, at this point in time, that I want to just install & forget it. I don't want to screw with it all the time to make things work.

Has anyone installed one and regretted it? If so, why?
Old 07-10-2019, 08:48 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm interested to hear others thoughts..but here's my 2cents.

I've installed several aftermarket stereo in my cars over the years. I decided to go with my first Android unit in the cayenne based on all the positive feedback on RL. Now that I have lived with it a few months, here's my thoughts.

Pros:
1. Factory look.
2. Large 9" screen
3. Easy to install with native harness

Cons:
1. Glitchy. For instance. My backup camera app works sometimes, then doesn't. Turn the car off and on. Starts working again. Boo!
2. Limited support from manufacturer. Some bugs get fixed, but there are no automatic software updates to fix glitches.
3. Apps from google store are not necessarily designed for headunit screen size. Sirius XM app is clearly designed for a larger tablet screen.
4. Bose adapter doesn't have fade front to back. Overall I'm happy with volume levels.
5. Radio reception adequate, but much worse, despite trying all the fixes on RL. My bad luck, but, my favorite station has the poorest reception. Most others work fine.
6. CarPlay dongle. Had to set to compatibility mode for it to work. Works ok, but slow. Most aftermarket units (Sony, pioneer, etc) with CarPlay have several volume levels for Siri, phone, music, etc. Android HU only has one volume level, so music is loud but phone calls are too quiet. Frustrating since Sony and pioneer units have this fixed. Android phone users seem to have a better experience with Android Auto..
7. Built in mic - poor audio for phone calls and Siri. Mic is close to center air vents. If I turn fans down it does better. Will need to open things back up and install external mic that came with unit.
8. Don't use any of the Android apps because its a pain to always enable my iPhone personal hotspot. I use the CarPlay dongle almost exclusively.
7. Hard to find info explaining features of android headunits. Takes some trial and error to navigate thru settings and figure out how things work. My radio has a temperature (23C) in the top right of the menu bar. I have no idea what controls this setting. I've looked everywhere, nut can't figure out how to switch it to Fahrenheit.
8. Took almost 3 weeks to get my unit from China. Tracking updates are very limited.
9. Radio app keeps playing even when you switch into CarPlay or other media apps. Haven't figured out how to mute radio, but I've learned how to close radio app.

As an iPhone user, if I had to do it again, I'd probably go with a Pioneer head unit. It wouldn't be as cosmetically appealing, but it is more reliable for the things I use most (CarPlay, Radio).

Last edited by jcastle; 07-11-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:55 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Jcastle...I'm not trying to argue with you Just wanted to give an other perspective. You provided a good list of items that may be an issue. I am just using that as a counter-point where my experience differs, and agree when it does. See comments in bold. All things considered I would not go back to standard non Android radio.I am very happy with my installation. I did provide dedicated power feeds from the fuse block, and a dedicated ground just to minimize any interference from other sources.

Originally Posted by jcastle
I'm interested to hear others thoughts..but here's max 2cents.

I've installed several aftermarket stereo in my cars over the years. I decided to go with my first Android unit in the cayenne based on all the positive feedback on RL. Now that I have lived with it a few months, here's my thoughts.

Pros:
1. Factory look.
Yes, folks don't believe it is aftermarket
2. Large 9" screen
3. Easy to install with native harness
Other than the need for an additional amp to get the fade back it is plug-n-play (see comment below)

Cons:
1. Glitchy. For instance. My backup camera app works sometimes, then doesn't. Turn the car off and on. Starts working again. Boo!
Wireless? I have a wired camera with no issues
2. Limited support from manufacturer. Some bugs get fixed, but there are no automatic software updates to fix glitches.
Agree, this is definitely an issue if you have problems. So far I have not.
3. Apps from google store are not necessarily designed for headhunt screen size. Sirius XM app is clearly designed for a larger tablet screen.
Some yes, some no. Most apps I use are OK, but some are difficult to use when driving.
4. Bose adapter doesn't have fade front to back. Overall I'm happy with volume levels.
It is not plug-n-play, but if you add a amplifier you get the fade back. Process is described in another thread. Really makes a difference in sound quality to have the rear speakers working. Someone got one of those 4-channel MOST adapters that is supposed to solve the issue, but I don't think he ever came back to tell us how it works (I might have missed it if he did)
5. Radio reception adequate, but much worse, despite trying all the fixes on RL. My bad luck, but, my favorite station is the one that gets the bad reception now. Most others work fine.
An inline powered amp is required in most cases, $10 if I recall. Make sure the power wire is connected...ask me how I know
6. CarPlay dongle. Had to set to compatibility mode for it to work. Works ok, but slow. Most aftermarket units (Sony, pioneer, etc) with CarPlay have several volume levels for Siri, phone, music, etc. Android HU only has one volume level, so music is loud but phone calls are too quiet. Frustrating since Sony and pioneer units have this fixed. Android phone users seem to have a better experience with Android Auto.urside temperature.
Can't really speak to this, i use the phone (android phone) hotspot. I have tried the wire connection and it does work with no issues though.
7. Built in mic - poor audio for phone calls and Siri. Mic is close to center air vents. If I turn fans down it does better. Will need to open things back up and install external mic that came with unit.
This is surprising as my built in mic makes for great sound
8. Don't use any of the Android apps because its a pain to always enable my iPhone personal hotspot. I use the CarPlay dongle almost exclusively.
See above, but to be fair my HTC phone has a squeeze feature that I set up to initiate the hotspot. I just squeeze the phone as I get in the car and it is on.
7. Hard to find info explaining features of android headunits. Takes some trial and error to navigate thru settings and figure out how things work. My radio has a temperature (23C) in the top right of the menu bar. I have no idea what controls this setting. I've looked everywhere, nut can't figure out how to switch it to Fahrenheit.
Yep, mine too...supplier was no help
8. Took almost 3 weeks to get my unit from China. Tracking updates are very limited.
Same here, but that's the trade off for relatively low cost of the unit I guess.
9. Radio app keeps playing even when you switch into CarPlay or other media apps. Haven't figured out how to mute radio, but I've learned how to close radio app.
Might be a setting I saw once in the system menu (password "126" I think)

If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with a Pioneer Headunit. It wouldn't be as cosmetically appealing, but it is more reliable for the things I use most (Phone, radio, CarPlay).

Last edited by AJ88CAB; 07-10-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:53 AM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ88CAB
Jcastle...I'm not trying to argue with you Just wanted to give an other perspective. You provided a good list of items that may be an issue. I am just using that as a counter-point where my experience differs, and agree when it does. See comments in bold. All things considered I would not go back to standard non Android radio.I am very happy with my installation. I did provide dedicated power feeds from the fuse block, and a dedicated ground just to minimize any interference from other sources.
I would agree with AJ's assesment. I hated the old, dated PCM and really love the Android HU. It is glitchy sometimes. Just this morning I had to pull the fuse to reset it because it refused to come out of sleep mode. A small price to pay for how much I like it. Admittedly, I use just a small portion of the functionality - Radio, bluetooth to my phone for podcasts, and sometimes the phone. I don't like using the phone, but people on the other end say it sounds normal, like I am just on a speaker phone, so it is my dislike, not an issue with the unit. I thought I would be bothered by the lack of R-L balance, but am not at all, or maybe I got used to it. I do use the amplifier app to change between music and talk. It is pretty easy to customize and easy to use.

I would definitely do it again
Old 07-11-2019, 10:17 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks way, way better than stock. Was really nice to add bluetooth and all the other features, but the bugginess can drive you crazy at times. Radio works worse.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:15 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Agree with everything said above, but on balance, I prefer the Android HU to the factory PCM for the Bluetooth and ability to run Waze and Pandora. I do wish the radio reception were better. Otherwise it's pretty great, though I've spent many hours fiddling with it to get it setup how I like.

Mine is an older PX3 unit and can be a little slow if trying to do too much (launching multiple apps at the same time). Buy one with the faster PX5 chipset and get the biggest ROM size they offer - - usually 3 or 4 GB. There may be even better hardware now, I haven't checked. Price is usually an indicator, but be sure to compare specs.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:00 PM
hirinhu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brainz
Agree with everything said above, but on balance, I prefer the Android HU to the factory PCM for the Bluetooth and ability to run Waze and Pandora. I do wish the radio reception were better. Otherwise it's pretty great, though I've spent many hours fiddling with it to get it setup how I like.

Mine is an older PX3 unit and can be a little slow if trying to do too much (launching multiple apps at the same time). Buy one with the faster PX5 chipset and get the biggest ROM size they offer - - usually 3 or 4 GB. There may be even better hardware now, I haven't checked. Price is usually an indicator, but be sure to compare specs.
which one: android hu, pioneer hu or lapower bluetooth + pcm?
Old 07-12-2019, 12:04 PM
RazMan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best upgrade I have ever done - and I have done it twice to my 955 and 957. No regrets at all - everything works and you have waaaay more functionality compared to the antique PCM.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:02 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hirinhu
which one: android hu, pioneer hu or lapower bluetooth + pcm?
This is the Android HU I have, mine was the Android 8,0 with 4GB Ram, but there is an Android 9.0 with 4GB Ram unit available now (3rd selection of the four options)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...27424c4dxR7zxj

Also, I use this launcher, I tried many and this is my favorite for appearance, options, & features.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...launcher&hl=en
Old 07-12-2019, 02:46 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Damn, that launcher looks cool. I will give it a try. Has anyone found a good app yet that syncs text messages from android phone to the head unit?
Old 07-13-2019, 12:39 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

That's the launcher I use too. It looks great.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:42 AM
ulflun
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know if there is a unit with Android 10 coming, with Android Auto included?
Old 06-19-2020, 04:18 PM
Sid3ways
Advanced

Red face

I see they have a Tesla style screen that includes HVAC controls now, has anyone tried this out?

I don't know what the differences are between these two units?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001080840877.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000014.3.1f59b4aeuVXcCh&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.170725.0&scm_id=1007.133 38.170725.0&scm-url=1007.13338.170725.0&pvid=d9c70730-c5e0-44cb-9412-9eaea5905130&_t=gps-idcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller,scm-url:1007.13338.170725.0,pvid:d9c70730-c5e0-44cb-9412-9eaea5905130,tpp_buckets:668%230%23131923%237_668%23808%235965%23518_668 %23888%233325%2311_3338%230%23170725%230_3338%233142%239889%231_668%2328 46%238111%23482_668%232717%237561%23370_668%233164%239976%23314

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001100831065.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.2.77552206rv52Fe&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.146401.0&scm_id=1007.1333 9.146401.0&scm-url=1007.13339.146401.0&pvid=3881436f-c158-4d89-ba2e-b761bfa6f39d&_t=gps-idcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller,scm-url:1007.13339.146401.0,pvid:3881436f-c158-4d89-ba2e-b761bfa6f39d,tpp_buckets:668%230%23131923%2312_668%23808%235965%23518_66 8%23888%233325%2311_668%232846%238111%23482_668%232717%237561%23370_668% 233164%239976%23314
Old 09-13-2020, 07:27 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I like the concept, but those units are not as wide as my non-Tesla style. They are longer, but most of the extra length is used for the climate control functions. I would have to take a pass.

See above, but to be fair my HTC phone has a squeeze feature that I set up to initiate the hotspot. I just squeeze the phone as I get in the car and it is on.
I don't have a squeeze function, but I installed an app called "automate". Whenever I get into my car and connect by bluetooth, my phone automatically turns on my hotspot and turns off my WiFi. When I get out of the car, it does the reverse. I just always leave my bluetooth turned on, so I never need to even take my phone out of my pocket.

CarPlay dongle. Had to set to compatibility mode for it to work. Works ok, but slow. Most aftermarket units (Sony, pioneer, etc) with CarPlay have several volume levels for Siri, phone, music, etc. Android HU only has one volume level, so music is loud but phone calls are too quiet. Frustrating since Sony and pioneer units have this fixed. Android phone users seem to have a better experience with Android Auto..
I don't use Iphones, and only use apps that I install on the HU, but all the Android HUs I have bought have separate master volume adjustments for Music, Navigation, and Voice. The adjustments are located in the settings menu though, so you can't just adjust them on the fly. Edited to say: I just checked, and I was wrong about the HU in my Cayenne. That unit only has master volume adjust for Music and Navigation. All the other units I have installed, have had more master sound adjustments(separate for music, navigation, voice, as well as TV, DVR, Radio, etc.). My phone call volume is just fine as it is though.

True. The best guides are the ones coming from forums like this one. However, like with most Chinese made products, even when they have documentation, then English is so bad, they might as well have not included any documentation at all. It is a trade off I have to accept though, because none of the major brands make any head units that run off the Android OS. I like running my apps directly from the head unit. Until the major brands step up, the Chinese units will have to suffice.

I can't really speak to the temperature display you have. My notification screen doesn't have temperature. Mine has the bitrate for the Wifi, bluetooth connection, and the time.

Last edited by sgtm7; 09-13-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:34 AM
BillZ260
Instructor

Looking into these as well.

I have one in my LX470, and while it looks awesome, it's been quite the adventure to figure out (zero customer service). That unit takes over the HVAC controls, to do this, you have to remove the HVAC amplifier from your stock dash, plug it into the new Android Unit. Then because those units units are designed to control literally anything and are fitted to inserts for different cars, they have multiple wiring harnesses built in and there were several versions of Land Cruiser i had to navigate through in the unit settings to get things to work right. Currently I still can't get my Center Diff Lock to work, but everything else is.

All that to say, now looking for the Cayenne, I see the Seicane leaves the HVAC controls stock, and I think that is what I'm going to do for the Cayenne (seems to have good reviews on this thread). Recommend staying away from the Rhino Radio or others that do take over the HVAC or other controls outside of normal infotainment. In fact I'm going to look for a double din version and put it in the LX.

Quick Reply: Android HU -- Anyone regret it?