Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing a 27' trailer next weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 11:20 AM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

x2 for Mr Merk's comments. Even if you have to go "older" they hold their value really well... But yes some of the 80/90s patterns are yuck.

Also consider vintage Tin Cans as they hold value and all the parts are still available for Airstreams. Other brands worth a look are Avion (heavier) and Spartan (older vintage, but larger models... The Rolls Royce of TTs). Even coming from a 1948 Spartan Mansion the ONLY swap would be to an Airstream, as everything else in the TT world is disposable junk.

Airstream also has groups to travel with and meet ups. Like the PCA wine and cheese events...

IF you are just goofing around with the kids then yes, get a disposable TT... If it is for the longhaul and will be adults only then invest in something that will last. IMO.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:41 AM
Jd_gts
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all your feedback guys. I really appreciate it. Perhaps my next stop will be an Airstream. I noticed Thor purchased Airstream, so hopefully the company hasn't become just another Warren Buffet product. What I haven't been impressed with so far about the Airstreams is interior space, interior design and interior finishes.

Regardless, the Airstream, even used, is not in the cards. A quick search yielded no affordable Airstreams close by. We decided to go with a disposable TT for now in order to get an overall feel for it, see how we like it and see how often we use it. After a few years, maybe we'll upgrade to more of an investment trailer that we can keep for a long time, such as an Airstream (assuming the quality is still superior). I also like the idea of meet ups with fellow Airstream owners.
The following users liked this post:
Pillow (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 05:40 PM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jd_gts
Thanks for all your feedback guys. I really appreciate it. Perhaps my next stop will be an Airstream. I noticed Thor purchased Airstream, so hopefully the company hasn't become just another Warren Buffet product. What I haven't been impressed with so far about the Airstreams is interior space, interior design and interior finishes.

Regardless, the Airstream, even used, is not in the cards. A quick search yielded no affordable Airstreams close by. We decided to go with a disposable TT for now in order to get an overall feel for it, see how we like it and see how often we use it. After a few years, maybe we'll upgrade to more of an investment trailer that we can keep for a long time, such as an Airstream (assuming the quality is still superior). I also like the idea of meet ups with fellow Airstream owners.
I understand your reasoning, just keep in mind that we use the word disposable because it will be nearly impossible to sell and your trade-in value will be pennies on the dollar. There is usually a TON price negotiation on new campers, so don't pay anything close to advertised price.
Pillow (05-08-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 12:15 PM
Pillow
Racer

in order to get an overall feel for it, see how we like it and see how often we use it. After a few years, maybe we'll upgrade to more of an investment trailer that we can keep for a long time, such as an Airstream (assuming the quality is still superior). I also like the idea of meet ups with fellow Airstream owners.
Good idea... We barely go out as it is with kids sports (travel sports are time killers) and life conflicts in general. Every year we say we are heading out for 2 weeks to discover America... Yet to happen as we end up at resort style places (Mexico Bahamas etc)

You may want to use a TT rental at first to see how you like it? Cruise America? Def cheaper than owning.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:18 PM
Jd_gts
Instructor

Today is trailer pickup day, but we are having some reservations about going another 26K into debt on a depreciating asset. Although we like the idea / convenience of owning, we're also concerned about not being able to use something 7 months out of the year and the associated costs of ownership. We are really torn on what to do. Renting is definitely a cheaper option, but somewhat less convenient, not to mention availability is limited and unknown, depending on the season. Any thoughts from the forums on owning vs. renting? I'd really appreciate the input!

In other news, I finally replaced the low frequency horn on the Cayenne yesterday and what a difference! I figure it's an added safety to have a horn people can actually hear, especially when towing and therefore being much less able to avoid a collision. A new blower motor fan showed up today, so I can finally fix the squeaky OEM unit. Finally, I devised a pretty trick magnetic mount for the trailer brake controller!

Old 05-15-2020, 03:47 PM
Pillow
Racer

Today is trailer pickup day, but we are having some reservations about going another 26K into debt on a depreciating asset.
It is a buyers market... Not sure what deals they are slinging now, but be patient as it may get better.

Maybe I am old school, but always pay cash for toys.

... Look for somebody else making payments and just wants to unload a TT. Sounds predatory, but you would also be doing them a favor so they don't default on a loan. Figure anything 1-3 years old is barely used anyway.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:26 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Pillow
It is a buyers market... Not sure what deals they are slinging now, but be patient as it may get better.

Maybe I am old school, but always pay cash for toys.

... Look for somebody else making payments and just wants to unload a TT. Sounds predatory, but you would also be doing them a favor so they don't default on a loan. Figure anything 1-3 years old is barely used anyway.
If you find two let me know. I'll pay cash if it's the right Cayenne.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:51 AM
Pillow
Racer

Originally Posted by jeff spahn
If you find two let me know. I'll pay cash if it's the right Cayenne.
Once the prices drop I do plan on picking up another Cayenne V6 for my daughter. Although the Touaregs are cheap... The 4.2s are eating themselves and maintenance is too expensive on a worthless SUV.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:41 PM
Jd_gts
Instructor

Well guys, decided to back out on the trailer. I think you're right about getting something higher quality, so this year we're going to rent an airstream and see how it goes. We'll rent whenever we want to go and see if we can justify owning one, or if renting is a better option. Nonetheless, the Cayenne is ready to tow! New horn and blower motor installed and trailer brake controller is all set! Next up is new front brakes, which I'll be doing soon. Thanks again for all the help and advice! It really helped!!
Pillow (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 07:24 PM
Pillow
Racer

Awesome! Keep us posted on your Airstream adventures!!!

Hopefully we have been a good influence rather than grumpy pains

Old 06-10-2020, 02:16 PM
Jd_gts
Instructor

I towed a Jayco Jayflight 24FBS this past weekend for a camping trip near Breckenridge Colorado. Overall, the Cayenne did very well. The trailer had 90 gallons of fresh water thanks to the owner we rented from, which is less than ideal, but we were dispersed camping so I wanted the fresh water for sure. Uphill at 6-7% grade, the Cayenne was able to do 60mph at 4,000RPM with PSM off. I had the gas pedal buried for up to 10 minutes at a time and had no overheating with the A/C on. On the way back, I tried the same grade with PSM on and was able to achieve 65mph at 5,000 RPM with gas pedal buried. Braking was never a problem.

On the way up, we did have a scare - we went into a blind corner uphill and there was a semi trailer stopped in the right lane. We were barely able to stop in time, but traffic was still flowing in the left and middle lanes, so we were stuck on this steep grade and had no way of pulling back into traffic. It took quite a few buttcheek clenching minutes fearing we were going to get rear-ended before we finally got back into the middle lane. On the way down, we and our friend narrowly escaped a disaster due to a semi losing his brakes on a 6% decline just west of Eisenhauer tunnel. Scary stuff but all is OK.

My question for you guys - I've been reading a lot about Cayenne's and WD hitches. Should I be using them or not? The manual says no equalizer hitch. Another post online mentions that they can be used, but not with Cayennes that have PASM. I have a button that says PSM (Porsche Stability Management, I presume). Is that the same as Porsche Active Stability Management ("PASM")? I do have PDCC / air suspension. Please let me know your thoughts!!

I won't bore you with a bunch of scenic pics but it was gorgeous. Here's a pic of the Cayenne all mounted up before the trip!

And some views

Pillow (06-17-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 03:01 PM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Nice! That last pic is incredible! We were just out in Colorado for Memorial day in my air-cooled 911. We did 3200 miles in total. We will probably be back for Labor Day and would like to bring our Airstream out. Not sure how that work logistically because we would want to have a 911 out there too.

Doesn't sound like you have PASM, just PSM. I wouldn't recommend towing with PSM off! It'll save your butt if things get sideways (literally.) As I've said before, I used the Andersen hitch when towing our old trailer (very similar to the one you rented) to Banff, about 5,000 miles. It worked great for me with no problems.

Side note: If anyone is looking to get into a CHEAP 24' trailer, we're selling ours. Asking $7k. I just weighed it, full propane but no water right at 5080lbs. It's a 2003 Keystone Hornet 24FB that we remodeled two summers ago.

Quick Reply: Towing a 27' trailer next weekend!