Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Control arm replacement - why so tight on the bolts!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 06:31 PM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Control arm replacement - why so tight on the bolts!?

Argh! I replaced the front upper control arms a couple of weeks ago since the bushings were shot and they were a piece of cake. Tried the front lowers yesterday and couldn't get the ball joint out on the first one so that's getting done at a local mechanic. Was working on the rear lowers today and the rear bolt is in so tight I can't get it to budge with my 3' long breaker bar or 1/2" drive impact driver! Decided I've had enough torture for two days and this will be done by the mechanic as well. Ordered rear uppers which I'll have them do as well to complete the job. Sigh, I really like this car, but some things are just such a PITA. Regarding the rear control arms I'm replacing them for two reasons. One, the car is 13 years old and they've never been replaced. Two, the rear end bounces a bit going over bumps which I figure is worn bushings. Anyway, we'll see how it rides afterwards.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:49 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by tjrob2000
Argh! I replaced the front upper control arms a couple of weeks ago since the bushings were shot and they were a piece of cake. Tried the front lowers yesterday and couldn't get the ball joint out on the first one so that's getting done at a local mechanic. Was working on the rear lowers today and the rear bolt is in so tight I can't get it to budge with my 3' long breaker bar or 1/2" drive impact driver! Decided I've had enough torture for two days and this will be done by the mechanic as well. Ordered rear uppers which I'll have them do as well to complete the job. Sigh, I really like this car, but some things are just such a PITA. Regarding the rear control arms I'm replacing them for two reasons. One, the car is 13 years old and they've never been replaced. Two, the rear end bounces a bit going over bumps which I figure is worn bushings. Anyway, we'll see how it rides afterwards.
Hard to know but did you try any heat?
Old 06-15-2019, 02:10 PM
BamaScoot
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Workout more.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:53 PM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by BamaScoot
Workout more.
😂 Think I would have to be The Rock to be stronger than my 1/2" impact. The crank bolt on my Infiniti wasn't this difficult.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:55 PM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
Hard to know but did you try any heat?
Nope. At this point in my life I'll just have the shop do it. I have too many projects to let these things take so much of my time.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:44 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

I have not done any suspension work on my Cayenne yet, and this could be completely wrong for the nut you're stuck on, but since you're stuck ...

I have come across some suspension nuts (on bolts) on other cars that are serrated/locking with a ratchet type flat flange surface that locks into the surface when tightened. These are not the common ~spiral, smooth ridges on nut flanges, the ones I'm talking about are radial teeth with deep, sharp teeth that really lock in.

The trick on those is to loosen the bolt end, not the nut end. You could beat on it all day on the nut end and it will not move due to the locking/ratchet/teeth things. But once you loosen it at the bolt end, that locking flange surface can separate from the lower surface and you spin the nut off easily.

And if that does not apply to the situation you're in here, maybe some other time it will. Good luck.

Last edited by oldskewel; 06-15-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:17 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
I have not done any suspension work on my Cayenne yet, and this could be completely wrong for the nut you're stuck on, but since you're stuck ...

I have come across some suspension nuts (on bolts) on other cars that are serrated/locking with a ratchet type flat flange surface that locks into the surface when tightened. These are not the common ~spiral, smooth ridges on nut flanges, the ones I'm talking about are radial teeth with deep, sharp teeth that really lock in.

The trick on those is to loosen the bolt end, not the nut end. You could beat on it all day on the nut end and it will not move due to the locking/ratchet/teeth things. But once you loosen it at the bolt end, that locking flange surface can separate from the lower surface and you spin the nut off easily.

And if that does not apply to the situation you're in here, maybe some other time it will. Good luck.
I'm chuckling about your comment- I dealt with this very issue on a ford truck of mine many years ago... When I discovered the solution after many, many hours of frustration, and larger and larger breaker bars, I laughed my a$$ off. Keep it simple, stupid...

Cheers,
Tom
Old 06-16-2019, 02:18 AM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
I'm chuckling about your comment- I dealt with this very issue on a ford truck of mine many years ago... When I discovered the solution after many, many hours of frustration, and larger and larger breaker bars, I laughed my a$$ off. Keep it simple, stupid...

Cheers,
Tom
Glad to hear that. LOL. I'm sure many would read my comment and think I was nuts, so I guess there's now confirmation of at least two of us.

How did you figure yours out? I think I probably followed one of my basic strategies - when something should be possible and it seems impossible, try something a little different - and stumbled on the solution. I do remember how EASILY the bolt end came undone, vs. what I had been doing on the nut end. One day, hopefully this story will help someone out of a jam.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:00 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Glad to hear that. LOL. I'm sure many would read my comment and think I was nuts, so I guess there's now confirmation of at least two of us.

How did you figure yours out? I think I probably followed one of my basic strategies - when something should be possible and it seems impossible, try something a little different - and stumbled on the solution. I do remember how EASILY the bolt end came undone, vs. what I had been doing on the nut end. One day, hopefully this story will help someone out of a jam.
I figured it out completely by accident. There was more room on the bolt end and I thought I needed an ever bigger breaker bar. It came loose so quickly its a miracle that my face is still intact!

Cheers,
Tom

Quick Reply: Control arm replacement - why so tight on the bolts!?