Sponsored by:

Hitch receiver on 2010 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 11:15 PM
Burnt McGurnt
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hitch receiver on 2010 GTS

I have seen a few posts regarding base model trailer hitch installations, but not for a GTS.

Any GTS owners with factory hitches that wouldn't mind posting up a few pics?

I recently picked up a Curt hitch receiver.

Is there a manufacturer that sells a kit which would not require cutting part of the bumper (not so bad) and completely through the lower diffuser (terrible)?

With such a large opening already below on the bumper cover it wouldn't seem too difficult to design a no cut hitch kit.

As for alternatives, Armordillo might make one but that's about all i can find other than factory.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:21 PM
Burnt McGurnt
Advanced

Default Done

I worked up the courage and went at this install today. I relieved as little of the bumper as possible and was able to retain the bottom lip.

If i had a second shot at it, the relief on the vertical portion that sits behind the receiver could have been tapered 1/2" in on each side from 5" at the top to 4" at the bottom. As it is now you can't see the cuts until your eyes are below bumper level.

Basic procedures that have been written up elsewhere:
-Remove tail lights (2 covers, 2 allen head screws each, then they'll pop out with a little tug)
-Remove bumper cover (lots of screws underneath, 1 atop in each wheelwell accessible with a small ratchet or hand driver)

Tips:
- use lots of making tape in multiple layers
- use an Oscillating tool to cut the bumper
- use Hand files to clean up the cuts

I am happy with the results,

and hope this helps the next guy who doesn't want to hack up their bumper.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:21 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

You should have gotten a factory hitch - almost same price, but the factory hitch is much better and retains the tow hooks that the Curt hitch gets rid off. Also, no need to cut the bumper with factory hitch, only the lower lip a bit. Check my post about it here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post15047131

With the factory hitch, you could have gotten factory wiring, too.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:42 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by slavie
You should have gotten a factory hitch - almost same price, but the factory hitch is much better and retains the tow hooks that the Curt hitch gets rid off. Also, no need to cut the bumper with factory hitch, only the lower lip a bit. Check my post about it here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post15047131

With the factory hitch, you could have gotten factory wiring, too.
I just looked at your post in that link. Are you saying you already had those large cutouts in your bumper from the factory with nothing filling the space? If so, how ugly did it look without the hitch, and why do they look like they were cut by hand?

You also left out having to find a USED hitch for almost the same price. And my version of "almost" isn't the $400 you paid...which is double the cost of the Curt hitch.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:56 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 19psi
I just looked at your post in that link. Are you saying you already had those large cutouts in your bumper from the factory with nothing filling the space? If so, how ugly did it look without the hitch, and why do they look like they were cut by hand?

You also left out having to find a USED hitch for almost the same price. And my version of "almost" isn't the $400 you paid...which is double the cost of the Curt hitch.
I started with the same cutouts you did. I cut mine less than what the factory manual recommends to make it more visually appealing, as I really did not like the big gaping hole the factory cutout leaves under the hitch plug. I only had to cut down from the hitch, and not up. Looks like the Curt hitch is placed higher than the factory hitch.

I got mine for $400 or whatever with the factory hitch harness and mounting bolts (longer than non-trainer bar). Harness is easily $100-150, and the bolts are $40 or so. Yes, the bar I got is used. It is a huge chunk of metal that will outlast the rest of the car, so who cares if it's used? Factory hitch also has higher tow rating and is considerably better built than Curt hitches I've installed Curt hitches on other cars and had fitment issues with them.

Anyway, feel free to ignore my posts and enjoy your new hitch!
Old 05-27-2019, 10:32 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

First off, I'm not the OP (whose well done write up you basically dumped on). I also won't ignore inconsistencies when I see them.
Only compelling reason to get a factory hitch is to tow more than 5,000 lbs. Outside of pulling a yacht, most will never need it.

Also, no need to cut the bumper with factory hitch
You need to cut the bumper. Any sharp razor will do, or fine saw.
So which is it?
Old 05-27-2019, 10:39 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 19psi
First off, I'm not the OP (whose well done write up you basically dumped on). I also won't ignore inconsistencies when I see them.
Only compelling reason to get a factory hitch is to tow more than 5,000 lbs. Outside of pulling a yacht, most will never need it.

So which is it?
Wow, with that kind of attitude, good luck getting people to help you. Spend couple of hours doing your own research like I did and I'm sure you'll have it all figured out.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:32 PM
Burnt McGurnt
Advanced

The factory hitch is well north of $1000 new and IMO it requires cutting more visible area of the lower bumper than the Curt receiever. I will probably be going the factory route with wiring and the controller, used if it can be found, thanks for the info in your writeup Slavie. The Curt is rated for 6000lbs more than I'll ever use it for. I didn't think about the factory tow points but 99.9% of the time the hitch would suffice. Thanks for the kudos 19psi and for going to combat lol.

I'm asking lots of questions now as I learn about all of the Porsche specific systems and technology, but when i own a vehicle I OWN IT and will be on the other side of the conversation soon enough.

Last edited by Burnt McGurnt; 05-27-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:05 AM
Burnt McGurnt
Advanced

Default A few more pics from today without flash shadows.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:19 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnt McGurnt
I worked up the courage and went at this install today. I relieved as little of the bumper as possible and was able to retain the bottom lip.

If i had a second shot at it, the relief on the vertical portion that sits behind the receiver could have been tapered 1/2" in on each side from 5" at the top to 4" at the bottom. As it is now you can't see the cuts until your eyes are below bumper level.

Basic procedures that have been written up elsewhere:
-Remove tail lights (2 covers, 2 allen head screws each, then they'll pop out with a little tug)
-Remove bumper cover (lots of screws underneath, 1 atop in each wheelwell accessible with a small ratchet or hand driver)

Tips:
- use lots of making tape in multiple layers
- use an Oscillating tool to cut the bumper
- use Hand files to clean up the cuts

I am happy with the results,

and hope this helps the next guy who doesn't want to hack up their bumper.
"I am happy with the results"
^ IMO, that's the difference between a leader and a follower. I think it looks good too, not that my opinion matters I have to do mine soon. Hitch wasn't offered with sport design package in 2006 so we will see how that go's. Your rated up to 6000lbs so if that works for you then great. There's nothing wrong with the factory hitch either but it is super beefy and heavy. Maybe overkill for 7700 lbs when looking at the Curt. Nice job and good looking cuts I'd say.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:24 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

I didn't think about the factory tow points but 99.9% of the time the hitch would suffice.
Tow hook points for the rear becomes next to useless once a hitch is installed. The manual states it's only for pulling the vehicle onto a flatbed. Any tow truck will have a receiver tow hook to do the same. I keep one with a D-ring in my spare tire well as they come in handy when you need to get your John Deere unstuck from mud or pull someone out of a snow drift. They're only $10 to $15 bucks.
It can also be used to recover the vehicle, while the single tow hook can't. For a recovery, the manual states you need to have 2 tow hooks and the Cayenne only comes with one. What are the odds the tow truck driver will have a spare hook of the proper length and thread pitch? Or he can avoid all that (and the required spreader bar) and simply pull from the hitch.

I will probably be going the factory route with wiring and the controller, used if it can be found
Curt 56146 kit was extremely easy to install on my 955 and cost about $20 bucks.
If you're going to towing something heavy and need trailer braking and want the Cayenne to go into towing mode for transmission shift points, definitely go with the factory kit.

Quick Reply: Hitch receiver on 2010 GTS