Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Deciding on a Cayenne (06 Turbo S vs 04-09 Turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 01:58 PM
Luciendar21
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help Deciding on a Cayenne (06 Turbo S vs 04-09 Turbo)

I'm curious to know other people's thoughts. I'm finally in the market for a Cayenne and more or less ready to buy. The problem I'm now facing is that I can't decide, well... basically how picky I want to be.

For quite some time I've had the perfect Cayenne mapped out in my mind: an '06 Turbo S, Black on Black, Dark Burl Trim, Panoramic Sunroof, Heated Seats, and of course a bunch of other "wants" but nothing that would stop me from buying a vehicle. Typically when I start car shopping, I'll wait indefinitely for the right vehicle. In a way I've been doing that already, largely because I haven't been ready to buy. I've seen a few examples of what I want come and go for that reason.

Originally, I was just looking for a Turbo with otherwise the same specs, this being a few years ago before I moved across the country and had some financial reset that has blocked me from doing much. Of course that gave me time to research and discover the Turbo S model, although the reality is I know, kind of like the curved Samsung TVs vs flat, there's no real justification for the Turbo S over the Turbo, other than that I'm just stuck on wanting the best. I tell myself that the right Turbo that checks all the boxes and has some of the "wants" should still be on the table, but I don't look for it anywhere near as actively.

So my question is, am I being stupid to hold out for the Turbo S?

Top end for a Turbo S when I started looking was $20k and they've started to go up in price over the past few months. The '09 Turbo S is a bit out of my price range (looking for <$20k, maybe $21-22k top end) and I actually like the '06 styling a bit better, but on the other hand opening it up to a Turbo gives me '04-'09 for a year range rather than just one (or '06-'09 as I don't really want to go older). Looking for 90k-120k mi also limits the playing field (with 60k-90k being ideal but pricing gets a bit high).
Old 05-12-2019, 02:53 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I think based off the common issues these cars have - the newest model year you can get, the better.

As for Turbo vs Turbo S - the badges on their own don't make a difference but I think the Turbo S's are all equipped with options that are widely considered must haves whereas the Turbo's are a maybe. I think I would hold out for PDCC and other nice options but I wouldn't hold out for the extra 50hp.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:25 PM
JakeSwe
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had almost exactly the ideal car you describe, a 2006 Turbo S. I've now upgraded to a 2009 Turbo S and would suggest you go for the newer 957 even if it's just a regular Turbo.

The Sport button is a really important upgrade. My '06 could hesitate almost a second between I'M FLOORING IT and WHEEEEE, which was annoying and sometimes bordering on dangerous. In Sport mode on the '09 I can drive it with one toe.
Forget about that pano roof and start yearning for PDCC instead, that's my advice. How you can prefer 955 looks over 957 is beyond me but to each his own.

All that said, I do understand why you want the Turbo S since it's the baddest of the bad. It doesn't matter that my car is oldish, it's still satisfying to look at knowing that it's a flagship.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:53 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Not worth the premium you will pay for a Turbo S IMO.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:49 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Your choice, but keep in mind that the 06 Turbo S has brakes that are very pricey to replace.

You also say you want a Pano roof.
I would suggest doing some research on here about them. They are great when they work, and an expensive nightmare when they don't.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:07 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Your choice, but keep in mind that the 06 Turbo S has brakes that are very pricey to replace.

I would suggest doing some research on here about them. They are great when they work, and an expensive nightmare when they don't.

^^^yep
Old 05-13-2019, 12:36 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 386 Likes on 275 Posts

Why do you want a Turbo in the first place ? more expensive options to pay for to repair ... Wait until the ride leveling pooches out or you get a bad turbo or need brakes. Keep in mind you are looking at 10yr old cars and although robust crap can fail.

I was in the same position 5yrs ago and went for a 06 Cayenne S and i still have it and have had zero issues with it. The key to these cars is maintenance and they will treat you well for a long time ....The 955 series are old school built SUV's when compared to the newer ones and although not perfect they are tanks ...I went for a S instead of a Turbo because I felt no reason to put my wallet out further than necessary for needless options that would cost $$$$ in the long run and i am glad i did.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:27 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Why do you want a Turbo in the first place ? more expensive options to pay for to repair ... Wait until the ride leveling pooches out or you get a bad turbo or need brakes. Keep in mind you are looking at 10yr old cars and although robust crap can fail.

I was in the same position 5yrs ago and went for a 06 Cayenne S and i still have it and have had zero issues with it. The key to these cars is maintenance and they will treat you well for a long time ....The 955 series are old school built SUV's when compared to the newer ones and although not perfect they are tanks ...I went for a S instead of a Turbo because I felt no reason to put my wallet out further than necessary for needless options that would cost $$$$ in the long run and i am glad i did.

On the flip side there is no way I would buy an S. You have the higher chance of scoring, lack of power, the plastic everywhere, and the inside just looks cheap AF. The turbo has the same brakes as the S so that's not valid. The turbochargers and the air suspension are some of the most reliable of all the brands of vehicles out there that use these systems. Kinda sounds like you have "S" remorse to be honest.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:46 AM
1999Aero911
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeSwe
I had almost exactly the ideal car you describe, a 2006 Turbo S. I've now upgraded to a 2009 Turbo S and would suggest you go for the newer 957 even if it's just a regular Turbo.

The Sport button is a really important upgrade. My '06 could hesitate almost a second between I'M FLOORING IT and WHEEEEE, which was annoying and sometimes bordering on dangerous. In Sport mode on the '09 I can drive it with one toe.
Forget about that pano roof and start yearning for PDCC instead, that's my advice. How you can prefer 955 looks over 957 is beyond me but to each his own.

All that said, I do understand why you want the Turbo S since it's the baddest of the bad. It doesn't matter that my car is oldish, it's still satisfying to look at knowing that it's a flagship.
As a 2006 Turbo S Owner, you can get the same result with a 955 by turning PSM off. Throttle is more responsive along with completely different transmission characteristics, including 1st gear start when you turn off PSM.

I love 955's, I have had 3 955 Turbos now as Daily Drivers and the Turbo S is by far the "best" of the series. That being said, I am currently on the lookout for the perfect 957 Turbo or Turbo S with all the options and color I want. I think if I get one with a Pano Roof it will negate my need for a Convertible.

Here is another tip if you go for a 955 Turbo S. Get one WITHOUT a wood/carbon steering wheel. The thicker Turbo S steering wheel is super nice but you don't get it if the car was ordered with the wood/carbon wheel. Also I am not sure if the wood/carbon wheels are heated. Also be sure and get the secondary cat bypass pipes and do the flex pipe exhaust mod. I get tons of compliments on the sound, and they are compliments about how deep and nice it sounds, not how LOUD it is.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:23 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

#1) 2006 Turbo S

#2) 2010 Turbo S

#3) 2013 Turbo
Old 05-13-2019, 02:55 AM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
On the flip side there is no way I would buy an S. You have the higher chance of scoring, lack of power, the plastic everywhere, and the inside just looks cheap AF. The turbo has the same brakes as the S so that's not valid. The turbochargers and the air suspension are some of the most reliable of all the brands of vehicles out there that use these systems. Kinda sounds like you have "S" remorse to be honest.
Adding onto that - the air suspension is also pretty cheap to repair if it fails.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:19 AM
Luciendar21
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dilberto
#1) 2006 Turbo S

#2) 2010 Turbo S

#3) 2013 Turbo
Is this the order of what you'd recommend?

Sadly 2 and 3 are kind-of outside of my budget. I might have a look at 2010s just to see where they fall.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:31 AM
Luciendar21
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe

Brakes, brakes, brakes... I'm having the same debate about PCCB in the 911 world. Found my perfect car this winter (and again, wasn't ready, got a house pending sale and a bonus later this year I'm waiting for), $42k for an '01 996 Turbo, Black/Black, Carbon Trim, PCCB, HRE 997 Turbo S-look rims, 70k. Sadly it sold, but it sparked the same/similar conversation. I prefer the better performance of the bigger brakes, but I probably wouldn't hold myself back from purchasing because of it... probably.

And as for the roof, Step 1 will be to pull the fuse(s). I've done a fair bit (3+ years of obsession because that's just a thing I do) on it. I want the better view, but I don't actually want to open it. Again there's a perpetual internal argument on the topic, given I wouldn't open it, it's somewhat logical that the standard moonroof is fine.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:35 AM
Luciendar21
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1999Aero911
As a 2006 Turbo S Owner, you can get the same result with a 955 by turning PSM off. Throttle is more responsive along with completely different transmission characteristics, including 1st gear start when you turn off PSM.

I love 955's, I have had 3 955 Turbos now as Daily Drivers and the Turbo S is by far the "best" of the series. That being said, I am currently on the lookout for the perfect 957 Turbo or Turbo S with all the options and color I want. I think if I get one with a Pano Roof it will negate my need for a Convertible.

Here is another tip if you go for a 955 Turbo S. Get one WITHOUT a wood/carbon steering wheel. The thicker Turbo S steering wheel is super nice but you don't get it if the car was ordered with the wood/carbon wheel. Also I am not sure if the wood/carbon wheels are heated. Also be sure and get the secondary cat bypass pipes and do the flex pipe exhaust mod. I get tons of compliments on the sound, and they are compliments about how deep and nice it sounds, not how LOUD it is.
Helpful tidbit about PSM, thanks!

Wood/Carbon wheels do not have heat. I have the full list of option codes I'm looking for and in looking that up (brochures/etc.) it was called out.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:45 AM
Luciendar21
Advanced

Originally Posted by JakeSwe
...How you can prefer 955 looks over 957 is beyond me but to each his own.

Budget also includes 2 upgrades on day 1:
Headlight and taillight replacement with LED options (Spyder, ~$1600-2k)
Android touchscreen head unit ($500-700)

With the updated lights and the more aggressive grill, I think the 955 looks more exotic and quite modern. I am not a fan of the new LED headlights with the square four dots and they've kind of spoiled the newer, flatter, more featureless front end for me.

Quick Reply: Help Deciding on a Cayenne (06 Turbo S vs 04-09 Turbo)