Sponsored by:

2005 Cayenne Base Motor Dead?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 06:01 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by NelaK
Oddly enough coil failures don't always throw codes.
Good to know. Thanks. My coils went in with the new engine, about 55k miles ago. No cracks, no codes, no problems. I figured I'd wait for codes, but I guess I can't count on that.

Good luck OP. I had my coils out and in when I did the PPI on this, and by far the most time consuming part was careful removal of the plastic engine covers - on the V8, may not be bad on the V6.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:41 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Good to know. Thanks. My coils went in with the new engine, about 55k miles ago. No cracks, no codes, no problems. I figured I'd wait for codes, but I guess I can't count on that.
Well, quality coils can go 100k or more. The OEMs lasted more than 100k, but I bought a set of Chinese coils that I had to replace within 40k.

by far the most time consuming part was careful removal of the plastic engine covers - on the V8, may not be bad on the V6.
Yeah, take a look at that video. On the V6 it's held in by four friction fit studs. It literally takes half a second to give it a little yank up.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:37 PM
Swedge
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If I recall correctly the coils were changed probably 60k or so ago, doubt they were OEM.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:02 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

And I'll suggest you replace the plugs at the same time. Plugs that have misfired have a tendency to misfire even with new coils. Good time to do both. It will add about 15 minutes to the job. Hopefully you have a plug socket and a torque wrench.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:59 PM
Swedge
Instructor

So here's the verdict - engine is dead. No oil pressure. At some point in my short drive, oil stopped circulating w/o giving me a heads up - no warning lights nothing. When it does start it grinds, clunks and dies a mid a cloud of smoke.

Is this a 'common' or likely point of failure? Is there something I missed that should have noticed earlier?

Just still in a bit of shock about this.

SO now on to the next question - what has been anyone's experience with putting in a used engine? At this point it's not worth the cost of a rebuild, but I'd be willing (able) to spend $$ on a lower mileage (under 75K) and have it installed.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:30 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

I could imagine fail happening quickly if the oil pump failed and zero oil pressure. Not common.

Since yours is a V6, you might be able to source a decent replacement motor and go for replacing it. It will still cost close to the value of your cayenne.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:54 PM
Swedge
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95_993

Since yours is a V6, you might be able to source a decent replacement motor and go for replacing it. It will still cost close to the value of your cayenne.
Yeah, that's the painful part - looking around it'll be about $1500 to $3000 for a replacement engine - higher end has lower miles and a 5yr/50K warranty (for what it's worth). Another $1500-2000 to have it installed.. So I'm looking at being in this car for $3000 to $6000 where I could get another with high miles Cayenne for about $7 or $8k. So it's a matter of do I gamble on an engine or a whole vehicle that I know nothing about.

I wish we were in a position to just go for it and pick up a newer model Cayenne, but since we're only a year into a 2013 Panamera GTS loan, I'd rather not have to pay on 2 notes.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:28 PM
95_993
Race Car

Good news is that finding a good V6 has a much higher probability than a V8.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:42 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
Good news is that finding a good V6 has a much higher probability than a V8.
Random question:

Would it have to be a V-6 from another Cayenne?
Or would a V-6 (same motor) from a VW work if you switch whatever "Porsche Specific" parts from the old one to the new one?
Old 05-14-2019, 08:52 PM
95_993
Race Car

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Random question:

Would it have to be a V-6 from another Cayenne?
Or would a V-6 (same motor) from a VW work if you switch whatever "Porsche Specific" parts from the old one to the new one?
Great question, but I honestly don't know the VW comparatives well enough to comment. Maybe someone else here knows for certain.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:03 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Sorry to hear about the problem. I've never heard of a problem like that on the V6.

So you had oil in there, but no pressure. Could it be a simple problem with the filter, vs. the oil pump? If so, maybe it's easy to fix, or to blame on whomever put that filter in for you.

What's the worst that could happen if you quickly fix whatever was preventing oil circulation and see what happens?

Or if you don't want to spend $$ and time trying that, maybe someone would be willing to buy the car to salvage it on the cheap ???
Old 05-14-2019, 09:40 PM
Swedge
Instructor

Sorry to hear about the problem. I've never heard of a problem like that on the V6.

So you had oil in there, but no pressure. Could it be a simple problem with the filter, vs. the oil pump? If so, maybe it's easy to fix, or to blame on whomever put that filter in for you.

What's the worst that could happen if you quickly fix whatever was preventing oil circulation and see what happens?

Or if you don't want to spend $$ and time trying that, maybe someone would be willing to buy the car to salvage it on the cheap ???
Even if it is/was the oil filter, the clunking and grinding coming from the engine sure would suggest some major internal damage since I was driving it when this happened. I honestly can't say that I noticed/checked the oil pressure gauge on this trip. It was literally a mile down the road, but obviously if there was no pressure that'd be enough to get the insides.

I'll have the mechanic check the filter just to be sure, but not holding my breath, thanks
Old 05-15-2019, 09:38 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 445 Posts

Ditto. One for the books, unfortunately.

You're probably better off at this point trying to source another VR6 Cayenne. Early cars are so cheap right now that they're selling for little more than scrap price. The VR6s are kind of rare, and the perceived value is lower than an S. I think you could score a well-maintained 100k-125k VR6 Cayenne for a few thousand, certainly less than the cost of having someone replace the motor for you. I'd start looking locally on CL or FB, and then I'd look down south.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:37 PM
Swedge
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Ditto. One for the books, unfortunately.

You're probably better off at this point trying to source another VR6 Cayenne. Early cars are so cheap right now that they're selling for little more than scrap price. The VR6s are kind of rare, and the perceived value is lower than an S. I think you could score a well-maintained 100k-125k VR6 Cayenne for a few thousand, certainly less than the cost of having someone replace the motor for you. I'd start looking locally on CL or FB, and then I'd look down south.

So here's my thinking right now:

I can find a used early model Cayenne for anywhere from $5K to $10K - depending on mileage. Lowest ones I'm finding are just around 100K but are pricing in the $8-10K range. There are some with almost 200K miles for $5k.
  • Pro: Mileage slightly lower than what I have on the P!G currently (175K)
  • Pro: Will know that the engine 'runs' before dropping any csh
  • Con:Worried about inheriting someone else's problem - I know the quirks on this one - New brakes earlier this year - Rear wheel bearing replaced earlier this year - new headlight unit 1 month ago.
  • Con:Time it's going to take to drive for a test drive & getting an inspection (young kids & self employed) making travel difficult/costly
  • Con: No warranty (depending on purchase place - private vs dealer)

Used engine- $2200 for engine with either 48K or 75K, about $2000 to pull old engine & reinstall new one = $4500 low end or $6500 high end
  • Pro: Low engine miles
  • Pro: Know the quirks of my current Cayenne & maintenance needs
  • Pro: 3 to 6 month warranty depending on place of purchase
  • Con: unknown engine maintenance - could blow up after install
  • Con - gambling that the engine is not a dud after that time

Right now I'm leaning toward replacement engine. Found a local source for $2225 delivered, 75K miles and 90 day warranty, or there is and e-bay source for a 48K miles for $2300 shipped and 6 month warranty.
  • Local would be nice because I could talk to someone face to face if this goes bad, but same price for almost double the miles.
  • Ebay seller runs large salvage yard out of east coast with good Better Business Rating and very good reviews. Seems completely legit vs other online places selling 5yr/50K wrranties that have a F rating with the BBB

Oh what to do, what to do
Old 05-15-2019, 12:51 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 219 Likes on 173 Posts

if this was any other SUV I would say LS swap lol.

My best advice is go with a new (to you) lower mileage Cayenne and if possible, keep yours as a rolling parts bin/potential part out income stream

Quick Reply: 2005 Cayenne Base Motor Dead?