Sponsored by:

Rear hatch glass rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 08:25 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Rear hatch glass rattle

Perhaps my search abilities are not good...Rose has a rattle from the rear hatch glass, the glass both opens and closes “normally “. There must be a heads up that I’m simply not seeing.

thanks
Old 05-13-2019, 09:50 AM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the same issue when I first got my '06 CS. I finally figured out it was not completely latching. I had to really push on it get the latch to catch properly. I found that dropping the hatch from about 4"-6" with a little force is the best way to get it to close and latch. I am not sure if it a latch adjustment issue, or just the way it is.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:46 AM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I have given up letting it "slam" and I just push it down until it engages, just like closing the frunk on our mid and rear engined siblings here in Porsche world.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:28 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Libast
I have given up letting it "slam" and I just push it down until it engages, just like closing the frunk on our mid and rear engined siblings here in Porsche world.

It's a combination of 3 things.

1. The condition of the hatch glass weatherstrip.

2. There is a rubber cap/bumper at the lower left and right corner of the glass opening. The cap is surrounded by a grommet. Using your fingers, remove the rubber cap. The grommet will come with it probably. Under the rubber cap you will find a threaded screw. This is the height adjustment for the rubber cap/bumper. lubricate with some 303 or gummi phlege or the like when installing them back on for permanent or adjustment. This helps it all to seat easily.

3. The square latch in the center of the inside of the glass is threaded. If you remove the plastic trim there is a jam nut to set the adjustment.

Remove the latch first.
Remove both bumpers next.
Let the hatch fall against the weatherstrip under its own weight.
Adjust the bumpers so that the glass touches them just after it touches the weatherstrip. If the glass is not flush at this point then the weatherstrip is smashed too much from age.
After you set the bumpers, set the square latch to give a nice snug latch without having to push down or have it be loose and rattle.
Drop the hatch glass from the point where the gas struts stop lifting and the glass starts to fall under its own weight for reference.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:13 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
It's a combination of 3 things.

1. The condition of the hatch glass weatherstrip.

2. There is a rubber cap/bumper at the lower left and right corner of the glass opening. The cap is surrounded by a grommet. Using your fingers, remove the rubber cap. The grommet will come with it probably. Under the rubber cap you will find a threaded screw. This is the height adjustment for the rubber cap/bumper. lubricate with some 303 or gummi phlege or the like when installing them back on for permanent or adjustment. This helps it all to seat easily.

3. The square latch in the center of the inside of the glass is threaded. If you remove the plastic trim there is a jam nut to set the adjustment.

Remove the latch first.
Remove both bumpers next.
Let the hatch fall against the weatherstrip under its own weight.
Adjust the bumpers so that the glass touches them just after it touches the weatherstrip. If the glass is not flush at this point then the weatherstrip is smashed too much from age.
After you set the bumpers, set the square latch to give a nice snug latch without having to push down or have it be loose and rattle.
Drop the hatch glass from the point where the gas struts stop lifting and the glass starts to fall under its own weight for reference.

will check these out once its back from the shop for the rear window. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Rear hatch glass rattle