Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

955, 957, 958 Front lower control arms all the same?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 01:21 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
Uprights possibly.
They are made of EN AW-6082! Good stuff
Old 05-21-2019, 01:30 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

For comparison, 50 years ago, it was (1969 911) ...

No wonder my Cayenne weighs twice as much as my 911.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:33 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Libast
Wish we could just transplant this:

Is This from the 958?

Originally Posted by oldskewel
For comparison, 50 years ago, it was (1969 911) ...

No wonder my Cayenne weighs twice as much as my 911.
Yeah, really hard to find places to remove weight in the Cayenne and still have a civilized machine. Aside from creature comforts the core components of the machine are fairly heavy duty. For me the aluminum arms worked out as a wash because they offset the extra weight of the massive FMIC I have.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:58 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Is This from the 958?

Yeah, really hard to find places to remove weight in the Cayenne and still have a civilized machine. Aside from creature comforts the core components of the machine are fairly heavy duty. For me the aluminum arms worked out as a wash because they offset the extra weight of the massive FMIC I have.
PCCB brakes are the easiest, simplest, (and most expensive) place to save a significant amount of weight, and it's unsprung weight to boot. It results in a driving dynamics change you can actually feel, especially on a turbo S with the 380x38 mm front rotors.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:13 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I remember watching in astonishment almost 20 years ago when a guy on LS1.com was posting the weight savings one piece at a time while tearing apart his brand new Firebird to prep it for drag racing. Some pieces he replaced with lighter weight versions or modified them, but most were just tossed in a pile. He went well beyond the typical interior stripping and removal of the HVAC and emissions stuff. In retrospect, he wasn't that crazy... it was all a bunch of junk anyways. The interior, leather, stereo, etc. in those cars was truly ****.

Any guesses what a stripped CTT might weigh?!
Old 05-21-2019, 09:47 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Is This from the 958?
New new "958" I suppose

https://presskit.porsche.de/models/e...c/chassis.html
Old 05-21-2019, 11:32 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
I remember watching in astonishment almost 20 years ago when a guy on LS1.com was posting the weight savings one piece at a time while tearing apart his brand new Firebird to prep it for drag racing. Some pieces he replaced with lighter weight versions or modified them, but most were just tossed in a pile. He went well beyond the typical interior stripping and removal of the HVAC and emissions stuff. In retrospect, he wasn't that crazy... it was all a bunch of junk anyways. The interior, leather, stereo, etc. in those cars was truly ****.

Some people go as far as removing seam sealer and dipping the entire body into an acid bath to thin out the sheet metal.. ontop of drilling holes in everything they can get away with.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:37 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nodoors

That's a great question. Something I have thought about much. I think there is a wide weight range to begin with depending on how it's optioned. I really thought about going full commando after the crash but I just like them so much as they come. They are such a versatile vehicle. I think I can get where I want to be without doing that. I like having my cake and eating it too!!

Mostly this control arm mod seemed like a great way to get rid of small bit of weight but more importantly if the larger rear bushing negates the need to replace the arms/bushing as often it's a win-win.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:08 AM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

That's a great question. Something I have thought about much. I think there is a wide weight range to begin with depending on how it's optioned. I really thought about going full commando after the crash but I just like them so much as they come. They are such a versatile vehicle. I think I can get where I want to be without doing that. I like having my cake and eating it too!!

Mostly this control arm mod seemed like a great way to get rid of small bit of weight but more importantly if the larger rear bushing negates the need to replace the arms/bushing as often it's a win-win.
At some point probably soon 955's will hit beater pricing, at which if you have the space you might as well have a bit of fun.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:17 AM
europorsche914
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Uprights possibly.
After some brief research, it appears the calipers on the 958 have a different pattern (wider bolt spacing and 90*) than the 955/957. So without a custom bracket, or new calipers it looks like the upright is out..
Petza914 can comment as he put 958 PCCB’s on his 957 I think...

the rear axle is the same as well
Old 05-24-2019, 10:26 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by europorsche914
After some brief research, it appears the calipers on the 958 have a different pattern (wider bolt spacing and 90*) than the 955/957. So without a custom bracket, or new calipers it looks like the upright is out..
Petza914 can comment as he put 958 PCCB’s on his 957 I think...
Correct, and not only that, but the 957s mount axially and the 958s radially. I had to have custom caliper adapters made in Germany to use the 958 calipers with my 957 uprights. You'd have to move to 958 calipers if you wanted to use 958 uprights. I can't comment on bolt spacing for the steel rotors between the two generations, but the bolt spacing for the 958 PCCBs vs the 957 Turbo S (380mm rotors) is represented in these photos.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:12 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Haven't even had the time to research it.
Try to focus on solutions and not problems. Subscribe to the K.I.S.S. philosophy, and of course if a 958 carrier/upright was a geometric equivalent then the easiest and doubly beneficial solution would be to use the brakes as well. Adapters could be fabricated in a variety of ways. I got guys out here in the BFE WT country that could make some up lickety split, these guys are pretty smart too. No need to send off for that. While the PCCB's are awesome in more ways than one I don't consider that a viable, practical, or realistic upgrade. Part of my thinking with the Cayenne is upgrades that are viable and priced right. I'm not in the car mods business, I am a hobbyist. If I was, I would really think about my pricing strategy and who the real customer base is instead of making a space shuttle for monkeys.
that pay in banana's instead of cash.
The following users liked this post:
ElSpoon958 (04-09-2022)
Old 05-24-2019, 06:41 PM
europorsche914
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Haven't even had the time to research it.
Try to focus on solutions and not problems. Subscribe to the K.I.S.S. philosophy, and of course if a 958 carrier/upright was a geometric equivalent then the easiest and doubly beneficial solution would be to use the brakes as well. Adapters could be fabricated in a variety of ways. I got guys out here in the BFE WT country that could make some up lickety split, these guys are pretty smart too. No need to send off for that. While the PCCB's are awesome in more ways than one I don't consider that a viable, practical, or realistic upgrade. Part of my thinking with the Cayenne is upgrades that are viable and priced right. I'm not in the car mods business, I am a hobbyist. If I was, I would really think about my pricing strategy and who the real customer base is instead of making a space shuttle for monkeys.
that pay in banana's instead of cash.
I think I might do it i.e. replace the calipers from the 958 onto my 957 turbo s. I need to finish my trim blackout and double pane window upgrade first. I’ll keep everyone posted..
Old 05-24-2019, 07:08 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by europorsche914
I think I might do it i.e. replace the calipers from the 958 onto my 957 turbo s. I need to finish my trim blackout and double pane window upgrade first. I’ll keep everyone posted..
I posted a lot of info on that into my widebody build thread. It was a lot of measuring and work. I had to shorten the mounting posts of the 958 calipers at a machine shop in order to be able to have an axial to radial adapter large enough to allow clearance for both sets of bolts in the opposite orientations and to be robust enough where I was comfortable that it would handle the load. It was impossible to do the rears that way as the rotor diameter difference wasn't large enough to allow for an adapter, so I bought 957 PCCB rear calipers. I have the yellow 958 rear versions available for sale if you need a set.

If you're going to to this, I'd buy the 958 wheel carriers so they attach directly without needing an adapter.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:18 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

So how do your Cayennes ride with the new lower aluminum arms? I mean, I know it should be better, with new bushings in them, and better from a less unsprung mass standpoint, but sometimes with lighter comes more noise and less damping. Anyone notice anything different, or worse?

I was thinking the Mevotech supreme lower arms, which have solid bushings, and beefier components, but these look like a better option, assmuing they dont upset the noise or damping!

Quick Reply: 955, 957, 958 Front lower control arms all the same?