Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

955, 957, 958 Front lower control arms all the same?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 11:45 AM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Further adding credence to the idea - Mevotech lists their aluminum aftermarket part as being compatible with both. You can't always trust vendors but its another data point in favor.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:13 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by NelaK
Further adding credence to the idea - Mevotech lists their aluminum aftermarket part as being compatible with both. You can't always trust vendors but its another data point in favor.
I saw that too. Guess we will leave it in Js hands lol.

(They look the same to me)
Old 05-05-2019, 03:45 PM
MarkGolf
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I recently looked in to changing my 957 GTS lower arms but all parts places list the GTS/Turbo with different part numbers to the rest of the Cayennes and state something about red calipers and high performance.....

Can anyone confirm why the gts/turbo has a different part number? I’d like to get these aluminium Q7 versions!
Old 05-07-2019, 07:41 AM
europorsche914
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkGolf
I recently looked in to changing my 957 GTS lower arms but all parts places list the GTS/Turbo with different part numbers to the rest of the Cayennes and state something about red calipers and high performance.....

Can anyone confirm why the gts/turbo has a different part number? I’d like to get these aluminium Q7 versions!
In the past, the turbo s specifically had beefier suspension parts, wonder if the 958 arms are beefier (solid bushings) in the turbo too.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:05 PM
MarkGolf
Instructor

Thanks, I would guess that the gts and turbo have stiffer bushing.

Any progress on the Touareg wishbones J's world??Really interested to see what you find, as soon as you report that they work, I will be ordering!
Old 05-08-2019, 01:57 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkGolf
Thanks, I would guess that the gts and turbo have stiffer bushing.

Any progress on the Touareg wishbones J's world??Really interested to see what you find, as soon as you report that they work, I will be ordering!
I think the lower arms eventually all had the same solid rear bushings as the early turboS option did. Someone else here may be better to clarify that.

I should recieve the arms today but may be delayed due to the weather. As soon as I can get the original pulled off, make a geometry comparison, and verify fitment, I will let ya'll know. I think we will be GTG.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:32 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NelaK

The Mevotech looks like a good product but if you look there is some noise out there about the ball joint dust boot. Apparently they are made of Poly and some people have reported that they crack after a few thousand miles.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:58 PM
NelaK
Pro

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
The Mevotech looks like a good product but if you look there is some noise out there about the ball joint dust boot. Apparently they are made of Poly and some people have reported that they crack after a few thousand miles.
As a DIYer, I might be okay with that. Those parts (the Supreme lineup) have a life time warranty and Mevotech is a Canadian company so they're somewhat more likely to honor the warranty.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:46 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Alrighty guys and gals,

It is time to put some closure on this question. I have some good news and some less than good but not bad.

Let's start here-

I am using the Centric brand lower control arms in aluminum. I have had good luck with this brand in the past and used their cryo treated rotors with good results.
Parts numbers for the aluminum lowers are: 622.33033 and 622.33034 Right now CarID has the best price on these with shipping.
These really high quality pieces. Good stuff for the money.

It looks like we have a winner! The arms are identical in geometry and fitment. Major differences on the arms are of course material, the larger rear bushing (in diameter only) and increased thickness in sections of the arm such as the shock mount bushing area and where the arm tapers out to the larger diameter rear bushing. The rear bushings on these aluminum arms are SOLID and as far as I can tell, NOT FLUID FILLED!
Front bushing and shock bushing are the same as the steel counterparts. I didn't get super crazy with the measuring and pictures because it is painfully obvious they are the same fitment. I did measure all the critical distances such as bushings to ball joint and the relationships of all these points to one another and as a whole. I mounted the arm to verify clearance of the larger diameter rear bushing in relationship to the sub-frame. I measured the length of the crush tubes IN the rubber bushings, ball joint stud taper diameters, bolt hole sizes, etc. Ima keep it 100, we good. I don't have time to make this a scientific expidition.

I WILL BE USING THESE!

Aluminum arms weigh -11.5 lbs ea!
Steel arms weigh -22.5 lbs ea!
That is a significant difference!

Here are a couple of pics for you.

Alum arm laid over the steel. The outline of the two is literally the same with increased section thickness and more material where you see the two holes on the aluminum arm.

The rubber in this bushing feels to be of a slightly higher durometer or shore hardness.

The bushing design is different between the two. This steel arm has the standard fluid filled turbo bushing. The fluid is only on the left side of the bushing in this pic. the right side is open with some difference in the crush tube? design. This is the side that would be under heavy stress on braking.

The alum arm gets thicker here as it tapers into the larger rear bushing diameter. you can see the increased section in the lower shock mount area on the alum.

Plenty of clearance between the sub-frame and larger diameter of the alum arm. The eccentric only moves the arm in and out, not up and down. There is about a 1/4" of clearance @ the top and this doesn't change based on the relationship of the eccentric.

I am also using MOOG upper control arms. Part # RK620768 Right now Rock Auto has the best price on these with shipping in consideration.
The reason is that I like MOOG's ball joint. It has a permanantly self lubricating ball joint socket that is permeable for the lube that is built in. This is something that is proprietary to MOOG. Since I am going to be doing poly bushings from Powerflex I want the ball joints to be able to last as long as possible.

Now for the bad. I told you guys about a special clearance price. The left side lower arm sold out the same day that I told you about it. Stock must have been minimal. Good news is the Right side is still there with no remaining quantity indicated for ~$17. The brand is API and the left can be had @ PartsGeek for ~$85. Still ~$100 for two alum lower arms! You can't lose. I have a feeling all these arms come from the same foundry anyway with difference being bush/ball joint quality and QC in general from brand to brand. You never know till get one in your hands.

2007 AUDI Q7 4.2L V8 Control Arm | RockAuto

Next I am going to be looking into aluminum uprights. It will be a while- after I get settled into the new Cayenne and get some numbers for a final pump gas tune and some e85 tuning done.

The following 2 users liked this post by J'sWorld:
aj2thec (12-09-2021), Pillow (10-11-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 12:06 AM
Vivid7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

nice work man. I bought one for the hell of it.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:10 AM
NelaK
Pro

Ordered!
Old 05-09-2019, 12:22 AM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

This is great news indeed
Old 05-09-2019, 06:44 AM
MarkGolf
Instructor

Excellent!!!

Thank you for posting your findings!! I will be getting some aluminium lower arms ASAP!!
Old 05-09-2019, 09:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

I bought one of the cheap ones from Rock Auto and will throw it on a shelf for when I need it. I'll keep an eye on the site to see if the other side pops up again at that low price.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:15 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Actually just discovered Rock Auto a couple weeks ago from the rav4 forum guys. Bought some struts and tie rod ends for the rav4 from them and couldn't believe how good the prices are.

cool thread sir!

Quick Reply: 955, 957, 958 Front lower control arms all the same?