Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Line Part Number (Pic Attached)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 04:40 PM
sprfrkr
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Power Steering Line Part Number (Pic Attached)

I looked at the part diagrams, but can't nail down which line I am dealing with. Any help would be appreciated.
2010 Cayenne GTS with PDCC.

The red arrow is the line that has the leak. The top of the picture is toward the front of the car, looking up from the bottom of the driver side.

Edit: Each end of this line has the large torx bit cambered flange attachments.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-16-2019, 11:05 PM
redstack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I think I've got the same leak. The large hose with the chafing gear around it is an A/C line. The one above that is showing a little green stripe around the hose clamp and says made in Hungary is physically above the big hose on my truck and is leaking. It goes up to the radiator and back to behind the drivers side wheel. I wiped it down and then was able to see a drip shortly after. I checked my steering oil reservoir and it's low.

So I'm with you, anyone know more about this hose? It's obviously a common leak site.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:44 AM
sprfrkr
Racer

Wait, so you think the line above (w green line) is leaking as well? Mine is wet there too, but I din't check the routing of that one to see if it is related to power steering/pdcc. It is above the larger line, so any drip would go down on to the larger line. There is a part number right on that one in clear sight.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:24 PM
sprfrkr
Racer

On closer inspection, it does appear that it is the smaller, top line that is leaking. The lower larger line is just soaked from dripping. See the image below. The part number on that line is 7L0422891. However, changing that line looks to be a much larger job.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:37 PM
sprfrkr
Racer

I'm going to put a stainless steel band clamp there to see if that helps at all.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:41 PM
sprfrkr
Racer

Clamp in place. Definitely exerts more force than the pinch clamp (without over tightening). The green residue on this line seems to indicate someone was in here before trying to address this as the line above it doesn’t have this. I could be wrong. Fingers crossed. I’ll test drive tomorrow and post results.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:38 AM
redstack
Instructor

Yeah this was my plan as well. Let us know how it goes. Mine has some kind of yellow buildup that I was thinking of trying to clean up before clamping.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:24 PM
sprfrkr
Racer

No joy on first test. Still leaking considerably from the line while the car is running. You can see the amount of force the band is applying in the picture. It *should* be enough, but still leaking. I may try repositioning the clamp closer to the end, but I am not too hopeful.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:40 PM
sprfrkr
Racer

Ahh, the saga continues. I hope no one minds my posts continuing to work through the issue.

I removed the clamp and pulled the hose back off an inch or so and see that the oil cooler aluminum tube lines were pitted and corroded with some type of sealer on it. I used a hand held wire brush to try and remove the residue and a bristle punched a pinhole in the aluminum tube. It must have corroded from whatever sealant was used. Now, I need a new oil cooler.

In the end, the actual hose looks ok.

edit: the images of the oil coolers I googled have different ends on them (brake line style ends vs press fit ends). Any thoughts?

edit 2: it appears the correct part is the power steering oil cooler.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:33 AM
redstack
Instructor

Hmmm, I'm going to have to dive under there again, but I thought mine was leaking in a hose to hard line joint. Does the hard line go all the way to the oil cooler? I wonder about just cutting the alum pipe back to good stock and reconnecting the hose? Its flex hose after all and only need to trim an inch. What do you think?
Thanks for sharing your work, I'm learning as we go.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:44 AM
sprfrkr
Racer

Originally Posted by redstack
Hmmm, I'm going to have to dive under there again, but I thought mine was leaking in a hose to hard line joint. Does the hard line go all the way to the oil cooler? I wonder about just cutting the alum pipe back to good stock and reconnecting the hose? Its flex hose after all and only need to trim an inch. What do you think?
Thanks for sharing your work, I'm learning as we go.
The hard aluminum line goes to and is attached to the power steering oil cooler. Ahhhh, that may be a good idea, I did order a cooler already. Though, the end of the oil cooler line has a flanged end which is inserted into the hose which likely helps with sealing it. I'm thinking the original cause of the oil leak is a small hole in the line past the flange. I have to pull the front bumper to replace a running light and swap a badge I have been sitting on that I figured I'd do because the oil cooler will need to have it removed if I swap it.
I'll post next week (Wednesday) and let you know how it goes.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:50 PM
redstack
Instructor

Roger that, standing by for an update.
I wonder what that gunk is, mine is clear but still has a buildup. The upper one is similar but not leaking.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:59 PM
sprfrkr
Racer

While looking to source power steering radiators, I saw some used ones with the same green line, so I guess it is factory. I finally got my old cooler out today. What a serious PITA that is. Front bumper is off, along with a bunch of other stuff to squeeze it out of the bottom. Mine looked like it was in good condition except for the pin hole I managed to put in it. I’ll have the cooler on Tuesday and go from there.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:17 PM
redstack
Instructor

Oh man, I was hoping you would say it was a piece of cake. Any photos?
Old 04-29-2019, 04:14 PM
sprfrkr
Racer

The replacement steering oil cooler did the trick along with band clamps instead of the stock spring clamps. No more leak. Replacing the cooler will require front bumper removal which is tedious, but not terribly difficult.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Line Part Number (Pic Attached)