Sponsored by:

Lifting Steel Spring 957 Using Heavy Duty Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 03:45 PM
Petrolhead_007
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Lifting Steel Spring 957 Using Heavy Duty Springs

Based on my several weeks of endless reading on VW / Porsche forums about the lifting options for this chassis, there are few options to choose from but none of them are ideal. Here is the list:
1. Full spring/strut kit, 30MM lift from EU- https://www.seikel.de/shop/lift-kit-touareg/?lang=eh. .Cons- not available anymore, expensive even if it was available for sale (2.5K-3K)
2. Top hat spacers from spaccer.com. Moderate 36mm kit is over 1.4K, so too expensive for a bunch of spacers. For other platforms like Subaru or similar you could get them for couple of hundred bucks easily. Too bad no one else is making them currently, even on vw touareg forums. Otherwise they would be an easy way to lift the car by 20-40mm.
3. Spring spacers- aka donuts that go under the springs for around $400 from Alex. Cons- they reduce suspension travel and make the ride stiffer, not to mention not as easy to install. Review of this spring spacers:
https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...ew-200610.html
4. Aftermarket air kit- meh
5. OEM air susp swap -no, almost impossible to integrate and cheaper just to get a used 955

I envy you owners with air suspension. Since it's not that easy to find another reasonably priced 957 manual with an air suspension, I was thinking of another option to lift my 957, by using different OEM springs.
I stumbled upon this while exploring parts diagrams, as they showed different springs with varying weight class http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=402-00

The ones I have on the front are white/yellow-green, WEIGHT CLASS 1, FRONT AXLE - 1170-1210 KG.
One of the Stiffest ones is 95534353381504, WEIGHT CLASS 7, FRONT AXLE - 1329-1428 KG

Similar story for the rear heavy duty springs. As a bonus, it would allow me not to lose as much ground clearance as I want to carry around extra tools and spare tire.
Not sure how much extra lift I will gain from this and how much more "sporty" the ride will become. At least it won't be a hack job and it will involve installing a fresh set of OEM springs.

I can probably get the full set of front and rear heavier duty springs (95534353381504, 95534353395504) for around 700.
Any thoughts? Pros / Cons?

Old 03-26-2019, 11:34 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

I thought air suspension retrofit was sort of doable - a guy or two on Touareg forums have done it. Yea, you need a ton parts and even more labor, but hey, no free lunch out there.

As for hat spacers, you may as well look into a company that would 3D scan and CNC machine a spacer for ya. 3D print a plastic sample for test fitting once you have the CNC file (plenty of 3D printing services online). No idea what the price would be, but 1k budget seems sufficient. Plus, make a few copies and try to sell them.

What's your reason for wanting a lift kit in the first place anyway?
Old 03-27-2019, 10:59 AM
Petrolhead_007
Racer

Originally Posted by slavie
I thought air suspension retrofit was sort of doable - a guy or two on Touareg forums have done it. Yea, you need a ton parts and even more labor, but hey, no free lunch out there.

As for hat spacers, you may as well look into a company that would 3D scan and CNC machine a spacer for ya. 3D print a plastic sample for test fitting once you have the CNC file (plenty of 3D printing services online). No idea what the price would be, but 1k budget seems sufficient. Plus, make a few copies and try to sell them.

What's your reason for wanting a lift kit in the first place anyway?
OEM air suspension swap is not feasible as I can probably get another high mileage 955 or Treg with air for the same cost. Besides, even if the air susp was swapped into my existing car it won't be as reliable as plain old conventional suspension, which is important when you're off-roading in the middle of nowhere.

I want to increase the ground clearance as I don't want to scrape the bottom as much. Planning on slight modifications (17s with BFG tires, skid plates and maybe lift) to make it more sure footed off the pavement.

Here is the picture from Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area in PA from couple of weeks ago. Took a off roading 101 class, and Cayenne did great, and I learned a lot. Driving skills improvement should always be the first and most important mod.

Facebook Post
Facebook Post
Facebook Post

Old 05-17-2019, 06:26 PM
Petrolhead_007
Racer

just a little update:

Heavy duty springs arrived, had to wait extra couple of weeks for them to be shipped from Germany.

I wasn't sure if the new spring alone would provide me with the extra ground clearance needed, so I made a donut shaped spring pad with 20mm thickness.

To test it out, I tried installing one of the rear springs along with an extra 20mm spring pad on the bottom. However, this seemed to be not the right way to go as it was going to just preload the spring and reduce the suspension travel.
Also, It was practically impossible to put the top nut on with the extra spring pad, even just 20mm.

Just when I was about to give up this whole ordeal altogether, somehow I found an actual lift kit for Cayenne on ebay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lift-Kit-fo...QAAOSwaNRcx2GF

Ordered it right away and it's going to be coming from Russia. From the description and pictures, It's a polyurethane 30mm spacers that get sandwitched between two top items on strut assembly.

Once they'll arrive, I'll replace my factory 10+ year old springs with new Heavy duty springs, and install this lift kit at the same time. With this combo, I'm hoping to get 30-40mm increased ground clearance, and it should be still within the normal operating range of the suspension.

Per Owner's Manual, steel suspension Cayenne's ground clearance listed at 218MM,
For Cayenne with Air Suspension, normal- 215mm, terrain- 241MM, special terrain- 271mm.

Last edited by Petrolhead_007; 05-17-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:00 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 163 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Petrolhead_007
...description and pictures
spidey sense says not to trust the ratings on those bolts
Old 05-20-2019, 11:14 AM
Petrolhead_007
Racer

Originally Posted by phatz
spidey sense says not to trust the ratings on those bolts
Yeah you might be right, I might get stronger bolts if needed before install.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:59 AM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Subbed! Curious to see if the Russian spacers work for you.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:42 AM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Following this one - Do the spacers work with air suspension or just coils? I am looking to lift my air suspension GTS.

Same reason as you - offroading, even with air, I find the car is quite low at times.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:16 AM
Petrolhead_007
Racer

Originally Posted by h_____
Following this one - Do the spacers work with air suspension or just coils? I am looking to lift my air suspension GTS.

Same reason as you - offroading, even with air, I find the car is quite low at times.
the ebay listing says for cars without air suspension.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:22 AM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry didnt spot that - thought I'd read it all. :-(
Old 05-28-2019, 09:37 AM
dr_r2r
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought a set too. Hope it works

Quick Reply: Lifting Steel Spring 957 Using Heavy Duty Springs