Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you run fast in the opposite direction? 06 CTTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 07:51 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

The drive shaft (more correctly: Cardan Shaft - don't ask me why) is a very well known issue. The problem is the bearing support. It's a thin rubber ring that holds the center bearing in place. It ages and tears.

As long as it hasn't completely let go, there's nothing wrong with the bearing or the shaft. Even if it lets go, and you get the 'midget under the console with a hammer' effect, you still may be ok. I ran mine that way for almost a week, being very, very gentle.

No issues. The bearing and all the joints are fine. I've had the Jimi Fix in for about 3 years. I replaced a couple of zip ties when it was up in the air for trans fluid earlier this winter. Even with a couple zip ties broken, nothing moved.

The suggested link is known as the "Jimi Fix" after the tech that introduced it to Dilberto. The whole story is in one of the threads.
Hands down, the best 'MacGuyver' fix I've ever come across. The stealership will sell you an entire shaft assembly. Upwards of $2k installed. The Jimi Fix is $10 in hose & zip ties and maybe an hour of effort.

Rest of the car sounds ok. Not super spectacular, but it's not brand new either. Compression is a good thing. A couple bad switches or slow motors is to be expected. Brakes aren't really surprising. Plan for it in the future. Won't be cheap, but you don't have to do it very often.
If it were me, I'd be all over it.

Good luck. Post pics when you get it.

Quick Reply: Would you run fast in the opposite direction? 06 CTTS