Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tapping noise on deceleration on passenger front.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:08 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Tapping noise on deceleration on passenger front.

Hey guys,

Having an issue with the 05 CTT. It is making a tapping sound (like something spinning, tap, tap, tap) mainly on deceleration (when I let off throttle) at lower speeds. Sound seems to be coming from passenger side front wheel area, happens when driving straight ahead. Seems to be quieted by application of brakes or driving in lower height with air suspension. Seems to be intermittent, if I drive very carefully for the most part I can avoid it making the sound. Also, seems not to happen if I run in lower height settings on the air suspension.

About 2 years ago I did the "Jimi fix" on the cardan shaft center support and that is still intact. Sounds like it could be drive shaft related but doesn't really sound like it's coming from center of truck more like coming from in front of front passenger's feet.Not seeing any visual damage to driveshafts or CV shafts/joints at wheels. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-18-2019, 09:30 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

May still be a CV joint even if you don't see any damage
Old 03-18-2019, 11:25 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Visual on an installed half shaft & CVs isn't going to reveal much, if anything.

Get just that wheel up off the ground and see how much rotational play is there. Due to driveline slop, there will be some, but play in the whole driveline is different from play in the CVs, Listen for the clicking. If you can do so safely, go under and see what the axle shaft is doing. Hold it and wiggle it around while you have someone rotate the tire back & forth.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:30 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Could also be wheel bearing. When the suspension changes height, it can change the angle or force on the bearing. As said, you need to get that wheel up and try to wiggle it in the 3/9 and 6/12 axes.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:02 AM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks very much guys. I will get that corner up again later today and see if there is any play there and I will look more carefully at the cv's etc.

Will report back. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Tapping noise on deceleration on passenger front.