Sponsored by:

2009 GTS with a manual

Old 03-04-2019, 01:43 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 69 Posts
Default 2009 GTS with a manual

Hello all,

Like the title states, I'm looking at a 2009 GTS Cayenne that has the elusive 6 speed manual. Car looks to be in pretty good condition, has some accident history but nothing structural. It has about 135,000 miles on it, and I would just look to drive it into the ground as our second vehicle and sell my 2011 Cayenne and maybe tow a bit with it. Can pick it up cheap (10k usd) ish.

I am trying to learn more about these years, was 2009 the first year with Bluetooth? It appears that the 2009 have a different version of PCM. Anything else to look out for other then the obvious stuff we all know about?

Cheers, Ted
Old 03-04-2019, 02:39 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Aside from the transmission all else is the same. My 2009 GTS is not equipped with Bluetooth.
The GTS is factory equipped with sport exhaust. Its the best sounding stock suv on the road IMO.

Price sounds great provided the clutch is in good condition. I recall a post that P charged $4K, don't know what was included in that price.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:52 PM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Can pick it up cheap (10k usd) ish.
GREAT price. BUY IT!

Even with some normal maintenance that is a deal.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:23 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info guys.

So is a 2009 pretty safe on the bore score issue? Also what are the unique GTS items. Do they have air suspension and sport exhaust standard?
Old 03-04-2019, 03:30 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Thanks for the info guys.

So is a 2009 pretty safe on the bore score issue? Also what are the unique GTS items. Do they have air suspension and sport exhaust standard?
Yes AS and PSE are standard. Have a look at the bore scoring survey...
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...03-2010-a.html
Old 03-04-2019, 10:07 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

What other options...PM sent. Maintenance history is paramount naturally, a few issues with the breed. That selling price is well, well below market. Buy it, buy it now. Or send me the contact info, and I will.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:36 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,136 Likes on 3,909 Posts

Yes, 2009 is the first year of the PCM3 that actually does have Bluetooth, but it's for phone conversations only, not streaming audio so it only has that BT profile, If the car has the multi-function audio interface, then you can add streaming bluetooth capability for about $20 from amazon by getting a BT receiver that supports the A2DP streaming profile. You pair that receiver to your phone for the media audio function only, leave the phone calls pairing profile alone, then plug an aux cable from the BT receiver into the AUX jack.

Looks like this and is in the lower section of the center console.

When looking for my Cayenne, I started my search for an 09 GTS with MT too, as I'm a MT guy and thought it would be really cool to have one in our SUV, then made the mistake of driving a Turbo S and now own one of those instead, but the GTS is an awesome car and providing it doesn't have a ton of deferred maintenance, seems like a great deal at that price. If it has PDCC (Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control) you've struck the lottery and won't believe what a 5,000 lb vehicle can drive and handle like.

Find out what engine is in it from the label under the rear floor. Looks like this if it's still there and the engine number is at the top, like mine shown here as 9PA AN1. There was a change in the engine cylinder honing process that seems to have resolved or mostly resolved the bore scoring problem and you can see if that engine is one of the newer ones, like mine is, but there's a whole list of engine #s that have the newer honing process, not just this one. That info is in the bore scoring thread previously referenced.

Good luck and make sure to read the "Buying a 957 Cayenne" buyers guide that's a sticky at the top of this forum to know what to look for during your inspection.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:11 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Took a look at it today. It’s rough. Alcantara is all pillled in the interior. Steering wheel not straight pulled to the right like crazy. Clunk in the front end over bumps. Check engine, PSM and TPMS lights all on. Did a quick 2-3 shift at heavy throttle and clutch just slipped and it didn’t accelerate so clutch is completely done. I’m passing on it. Too bad.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:51 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,136 Likes on 3,909 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Took a look at it today. It’s rough. Alcantara is all pillled in the interior. Steering wheel not straight pulled to the right like crazy. Clunk in the front end over bumps. Check engine, PSM and TPMS lights all on. Did a quick 2-3 shift at heavy throttle and clutch just slipped and it didn’t accelerate so clutch is completely done. I’m passing on it. Too bad.
Guess that's why it was priced the way it was - bummer. I'd much rather have leather seats than alacantara, as not only does it wear better over the long haul, but it's easier to maintain, and let's you move around in it a little for readjusting your position slightly.

I wonder if every GTS has alcantara seats or if you could opt for a different material. When I was looking at Turbos, I automatically eliminated any of them that didn't have the leather seats, and then the one I bought happened to have the plush leather or ruffled leather or whatever they call it, which is really nice, and I think kind of rare.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:27 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

That's a shame, probably took a decent hit and damaged some suspension. I ended up with an 08 GTS Auto, as 6MT cars proved near impossible to find, especially in a color that wasn't black or silver (personal preference). A saw a nice one go for $35k at an auction at the time (late 2017) and decided I was not really willing to pay 75% premium for a 6MT.

957 GTS came standard with: Alcantara interior, red brake calipers, body kit w/ the best looking spoiler, sport exhaust, 21" rims, minor lowering, air suspension (standard in US only, optional RoW), minor HP bump over S, and higher ratio final drive (to bump 0-60 under 6sec, ding 1mpg).
Old 03-06-2019, 11:14 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a parts car.

Could be $10K just to get the issues you noticed sorted out.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:24 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by v10rick
Sounds like a parts car.

Could be $10K just to get the issues you noticed sorted out.
Yep. And then you still have a high mileage Cayenne with accident history.

Was sad to see such a rare unicorn in this condition.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:44 AM
Pillow
Racer

Sad... For the right price it may be worth it to repair. Again it is a rare car.

Then again, I'm a self proclaimed greaseball and this would be beyond my comfort level due to the costs involved. A lot of risk for coming out even on resale value.

Hopefully someone will save it vs parts.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:50 AM
Vivid7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

IMO the 6 speed GTS is the only cayenne that would potentially make it to a collectable car. It would be cool to see one in 15-20 years.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:09 PM
Pillow
Racer

Originally Posted by Vivid7
IMO the 6 speed GTS is the only cayenne that would potentially make it to a collectable car. It would be cool to see one in 15-20 years.
Agree 100%. The GTS 6 Speed and CTTS are the only Cayennes I expect to hold any long term collector value.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 GTS with a manual