Sponsored by:

Headlight rubber gasket surround

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 07:13 AM
natty
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlight rubber gasket surround

I'm about to replace this rubber that crumbled long ago. It seems like it will help stabilize the headlight assembly, which is less than rock solid in the opening and help with keeping the elec connection secure and trouble free.

Are they pretty easy to put on?
Do they help keep the headlight cradled in the hole?
The cheapest I could find is around 55 each side
Old 03-01-2019, 07:57 AM
kadn33
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If the headlights bounce you want to look at the mounts first in case the bolts became loose. I had to tighten them in both sides and even with the gaskets missing they are not moving at all or at least in a way that I can notice.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:47 AM
natty
Advanced

Originally Posted by kadn33
If the headlights bounce you want to look at the mounts first in case the bolts became loose. I had to tighten them in both sides and even with the gaskets missing they are not moving at all or at least in a way that I can notice.
Yeah, one of my bolts was missing and the other loose. That kept them from flopping around. I'm talking about the flex that's present just from the way they are mounted. If you put your hand over the lens, you can flex it around in the opening. I think the rubber would stop this movement
Old 03-01-2019, 05:53 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

My gaskets are gone and my headlights do not bounce -- I think your problem is something else. That said, please report back with how the replacement goes as I'd like to do it for cosmetic reasons.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:35 PM
natty
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brainz
My gaskets are gone and my headlights do not bounce -- I think your problem is something else. That said, please report back with how the replacement goes as I'd like to do it for cosmetic reasons.
My headlights stay perfectly centered in the hole with an even margin all the way around, but I can move them a bit if I push on them...because there is that margin and they are anchored in a not very sturdy manner. Go to your headlight and put your palm on it them wiggle it up down back and forth. It moves a little bit around the hole right? And when you are driving around on anything less than a smooth road, it moves around just the same.

These headlight modules are way too expensive to let get shaken to death...they're already very delicate as it is with the disintegrating insulation.

Just trying to isolate that dead space around the headlight which allows it to flex and vibrate even a little bit at road speeds
Old 03-02-2019, 10:37 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

Yes, they are easy to put on. You just stretch them around the perimeter of the headlight and attach the rubber at the holes to the plastic hooks.

Quick Reply: Headlight rubber gasket surround