Sponsored by:

Tailgate/hatch wont open by itself

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 10:01 PM
nateb26
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate/hatch wont open by itself

Hi all, i have an 08 GTS. This forum has been a help to me but i had to finally register because I could not find anyone with a solution to this problem. The tailgate (hatch) will not go up by itself, meaning, i have to manually give it some help in the beginning 10% and it will go up the rest of the way on its own. its not the #31 fuse and the battery is fully charged. Im assuming this is probably the tailgate motor going out, has anyone changed one before? Is it in the tailgate itself or above the headliner? any help is appreciated
Old 02-25-2019, 08:03 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,164 Likes on 3,929 Posts

I've not done this repair myself yet, but I believe it's the gas helper springs for the tailgate that probably need to be replaced. If so, it's a job that requires some disassembly.

The other thing is a weak battery will manifest itself in not being able to open the rear hatch all the way even when still strong enough to start the engine. If your battery is old, might want to think about replacing that as well.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:32 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by nateb26
Hi all, i have an 08 GTS. This forum has been a help to me but i had to finally register because I could not find anyone with a solution to this problem. The tailgate (hatch) will not go up by itself, meaning, i have to manually give it some help in the beginning 10% and it will go up the rest of the way on its own. its not the #31 fuse and the battery is fully charged. Im assuming this is probably the tailgate motor going out, has anyone changed one before? Is it in the tailgate itself or above the headliner? any help is appreciated
the tailgate is quirky...I initially thought mine was problematic too. To open with the remote, or via the button in the drivers door, you have to hold the button until the door is almost completely open. Opening via the tailgate button itself, has yielded a couple different outcomes for me. Mostly, using the button on the tailgate, it lifts after a momentary touch, other times it takes a greater effort.

Does your tailgate open normally when using the remote, or driver door button...are you just describing its opening via the hatch button?
Old 02-25-2019, 09:39 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Magdaddy

To open with the remote, or via the button in the drivers door, you have to hold the button until the door is almost completely open.
Not on mine. I just hold the button until the latch releases and it starts moving, then I let go of the button and it ascends the rest of the way on its own.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:43 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Not on mine. I just hold the button until the latch releases and it starts moving, then I let go of the button and it ascends the rest of the way on its own.
I’m thinking the two turbos are the reason yours works faster....no?
Old 02-25-2019, 09:52 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I’m thinking the two turbos are the reason yours works faster....no?
Maybe
Old 02-25-2019, 01:59 PM
nateb26
8th Gear

the tailgate is quirky...I initially thought mine was problematic too. To open with the remote, or via the button in the drivers door, you have to hold the button until the door is almost completely open. Opening via the tailgate button itself, has yielded a couple different outcomes for me. Mostly, using the button on the tailgate, it lifts after a momentary touch, other times it takes a greater effort.

Does your tailgate open normally when using the remote, or driver door button...are you just describing its opening via the hatch button?
before, if i hit the remote button the tailgate would just open by itself. Now it will start trying to go up but wont until i give it assistance in the beginning. If i wait too long it will just give up and it will be reeealllly hard to open manually.
If i hit the switch inside the car, the hatch will release but i have to go outside and hit the button on the hatch handle (?) to make it go up, but now it still needs assistance doing that
i also put my battery on a 2amp slow charge for 4 hours just to make sure the battery was 100% but that made no difference which i why i believe it has to do with the motor

Last edited by nateb26; 02-25-2019 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Forgot spmething
Old 02-25-2019, 11:53 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

The fact that the battery being fully charged to me doesn't indicate a motor problem. 99% of the tailgate failures on 955/957's are due to failed gas springs. They're worse when it's cold. Did it get cold where you are? They are a VERY common repair item - it's not an IF repair, it's a WHEN repair.

I hope it wasn't too much of a bother to have to register to pick our brains.. next thing you know you'll become a paying member maybe..
Old 02-26-2019, 12:12 AM
nateb26
8th Gear

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The fact that the battery being fully charged to me doesn't indicate a motor problem. 99% of the tailgate failures on 955/957's are due to failed gas springs. They're worse when it's cold. Did it get cold where you are? They are a VERY common repair item - it's not an IF repair, it's a WHEN repair.

I hope it wasn't too much of a bother to have to register to pick our brains.. next thing you know you'll become a paying member maybe..
Yea I would say it got uncommonly cold, but i live in California - Bay Area, so it really hasn't got colder than in the 30s...
by gas springs are you referring to what are basically the struts that keep it the hatch up? I thought that might have something to do with it but once its up, it has no problem staying up
Old 02-26-2019, 12:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yea I would say it got uncommonly cold, but i live in California - Bay Area, so it really hasn't got colder than in the 30s...
by gas springs are you referring to what are basically the struts that keep it the hatch up? I thought that might have something to do with it but once its up, it has no problem staying up
The gas struts both help the motor lift the door and hold the door up once lifted. Your having to do the motor help job with your hand because your gas struts aren't doing it anymore. Change the door glass ones while you're doing the main hatch ones.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:52 AM
nateb26
8th Gear

The gas struts both help the motor lift the door and hold the door up once lifted. Your having to do the motor help job with your hand because your gas struts aren't doing it anymore. Change the door glass ones while you're doing the main hatch ones.
yea my door glass has never worked either. But i dont know if its the latch mechanism or the struts because there is no response or noise when i hit the glass button. Ive seen other threads on this problem and getting in there to fix it but ive never actially needed to use just the glass hatch
Old 02-26-2019, 10:00 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

yea my door glass has never worked either. But i dont know if its the latch mechanism or the struts because there is no response or noise when i hit the glass button. Ive seen other threads on this problem and getting in there to fix it but ive never actially needed to use just the glass hatch
The glass hatch is actually very convenient, like when the back is really full for a family trip and your wife brings you "just one more small bag" to add. Being able to pop just the glass and add it to the top without the risk of a bunch of stuff falling out is really handy. It's also a feature that was done away with after the 957 generation (958 glass doesn't open separately).
Old 02-27-2019, 12:43 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

It's also a feature that was done away with after the 957 generation (958 glass doesn't open separately).
Actually can't say I miss it. I actually used it.. ummm... never on my '06 CStits. And I haven't had to replace the rear wiper switch cover even once (multiple times on the '06)..
Old 02-27-2019, 01:03 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Actually can't say I miss it. I actually used it.. ummm... never on my '06 CStits. And I haven't had to replace the rear wiper switch cover even once (multiple times on the '06)..
I use mine about as often as the hatch - figure fewer cycles on the hatch may result in longer life of the hatch motor and lift struts and if it's something small I'm putting in, it's faster to pop the glass, put it in and close the glass. When I had my PPI done at 28,000 miles, mine was missing the wiper switch cover. Dealer installed one and the tech added a dab of silicone sealant at the attachment points and said, he's not had one come back off after attaching it that way. Mine's still there so there's a good tip for any 955 / 957 owners who have lost the black cover and don't want to buy multiple replacements.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:53 AM
Petrolhead_007
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

OP:
Since the main struts also have the springs, you can try replacing the tailgate struts to see if they'll fix your problem.
Maybe replace glass hatch struts while you're in there, as they're inexpensive.

Also, you can check the pump for power tailgate to see if it's low on oil. It's the #1 in this diagram : http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=803-07
It seems like you can buy the hydraulic oil and new plug for around $60, it's the last part in that list.

Quick google search Couple of threads related to your issue worth checking out
https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...en-254050.html
https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...ch-276345.html

Quick Reply: Tailgate/hatch wont open by itself