Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attn 955 owners with headlamp wiring and turn signal failures.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 02:36 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Attn 955 owners with headlamp wiring and turn signal failures.

Last year I had to replace the entire LH headlamp assembly in my well-maintained '06 CTT with 90K miles because the molded-in contact for the front turn signal had eroded from arcing and corrosion, and was irreparable. It appears to be aluminum, rather than brass that would last for eternity. Now the R turn signal contact has gone too. This is a ridiculous failure that's more than ridiculously expensive to correct. I also see many reports here of headlamp wiring insulation crumbling. These are preposterous flaws of fundamental safety items and common sense says it's reasonable that they should last decades. They should be NHTSA-mandated safety recalls.

These headlamp wiring and TS failures are reported here frequently, so I checked the NHTSA website to see if there was any action. I was quite surprised to see that there were NONE reported for MY 2006 Cayennes. I assume that similar failures for other 955 model years are similarly unreported. So I filled out a report on my failed front turn signals contacts, and I recommend that others who've had them, or the crumbling insulation issue, go to the NHTSA website and report them, with a photo of the failed part or area if possible. All you need is your VIN, it takes just a minute or two, it can't hurt and it may finally get Porsche's attention.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:45 PM
Cayenne955TT
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced both headlight harnesses (about 10 inches long) on my car and they were *toast*. Basically no insulation left at all. Lets hope that the new harness is of higher quality. Further more, the inside of the Xenon housings also revealed a lot of insulation chipping off, but the good news is there is a low chance of either water/dirt/corrosion and little chance of shorting out, etc. Liquid electrical tape helps here.

-Will
Old 02-27-2019, 09:39 PM
ez1973
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DWPC
Last year I had to replace the entire LH headlamp assembly in my well-maintained '06 CTT with 90K miles because the molded-in contact for the front turn signal had eroded from arcing and corrosion, and was irreparable. It appears to be aluminum, rather than brass that would last for eternity. Now the R turn signal contact has gone too. This is a ridiculous failure that's more than ridiculously expensive to correct. I also see many reports here of headlamp wiring insulation crumbling. These are preposterous flaws of fundamental safety items and common sense says it's reasonable that they should last decades. They should be NHTSA-mandated safety recalls.

These headlamp wiring and TS failures are reported here frequently, so I checked the NHTSA website to see if there was any action. I was quite surprised to see that there were NONE reported for MY 2006 Cayennes. I assume that similar failures for other 955 model years are similarly unreported. So I filled out a report on my failed front turn signals contacts, and I recommend that others who've had them, or the crumbling insulation issue, go to the NHTSA website and report them, with a photo of the failed part or area if possible. All you need is your VIN, it takes just a minute or two, it can't hurt and it may finally get Porsche's attention.
I’m dealing with the exact same issue on my 2004 turbo. Left turn signal bulb error, and the dealership says the entire headlight needs replacing. I purchased a new headlight online at about a third of what the dealer quoted me. As soon as I get around to replacing it I will take pics and report it as well...
Old 02-28-2019, 01:47 PM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Yep. I just went through this so I feel your pain! The entire wiring assembly inside both of my headlights were rotted out. I used marine grade shrink wrap over each of the individual wires in order to fix them. No doubt the job was tedious to cut each wire, slide shrink over them, and then reattach them together. This repair set me back about $15 in materials and a few hours of my time. Maybe I will fill out a report too, but won't hold my breath about a recall being issued.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:59 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The burnt contacts are a result of poor contact with the receptacle socket.

The solution is to modify the plastic headlight plug holding bracket on the vehicle side.

You cut off the ends of the retaining bracket with a Dremel allowing the electrical plug to be free from the holding bracket.

You then manually insert the plug into the headlight upon installation and manually remove it when you remove the headlight.

I modified mine 8 years ago and have never had a problem again with the turn signal messages.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:25 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki

The solution is to modify the plastic headlight plug holding bracket on the vehicle.
My point is that it's ridiculous to have to mod the turn signals on luxury performance car just to keep them functioning beyond a few years. Porsche should be ashamed of such an obviously lame design for such a basic function. The contacts that are molded into in the headlamp for the removable bulb holder burned through on my car. If there's DIY fix, I'd love to see it.

Last edited by DWPC; 03-04-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:33 AM
jwicker
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki

The solution is to modify the plastic headlight plug holding bracket on the vehicle side.

You cut off the ends of the retaining bracket with a Dremel allowing the electrical plug to be free from the holding bracket.

You then manually insert the plug into the headlight upon installation and manually remove it when you remove the headlight.

I modified mine 8 years ago and have never had a problem again with the turn signal messages.
That's exactly what I did as well, and haven't had a problem since.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:15 PM
blakecam
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm surprised nobody has made an aftermarket alternative to the OEM headlight assembly (that I'm aware of). It is such a troublesome design that one would think that an aftermarket product would've been developed.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:24 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I agree. My 08 Touareg has the same bare wires by the headlights...I put electrical tape on them. No aftermarket because these vehicles are no longer being used in any large numbers due to design/build errors. Sunroof drains, hangar bearring, scored cylinders, wire harness under seat failing, the list goes on...
Old 03-05-2019, 06:04 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by blakecam
I'm surprised nobody has made an aftermarket alternative to the OEM headlight assembly (that I'm aware of). It is such a troublesome design that one would think that an aftermarket product would've been developed.
Can't you buy Valeo headlight assemblies?

Last edited by 95_993; 03-05-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by blakecam
I'd have to guess you never tried Googling it..

https://www.jcwhitney.com/details/Po...SP5080967.html

https://www.autozone.com/collision-b...e/cayenne/2006

https://www.europaparts.com/headligh...563115751.html

https://www.autohausaz.com/porsche-a...placement.html

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20..._assembly.html

etc..

Old 03-05-2019, 09:38 PM
blakecam
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I love the way people assume things, like "how can he be so stupid?" I've googled it plenty of times, thank you very much. I'm talking about the entire assembly including the receiving tray, wire harness, locking mechanism, etc. It's a lousy design in its entirety.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:49 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I have two new Valeo headlights w/xenon if anyone is interested. pM for details.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:04 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm interested.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:24 PM
Charles Yost
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Deal available when living overseas (RockAuto)!

Originally Posted by 95_993
Can't you buy Valeo headlight assemblies?

Great pricing from eBay, 1/3 the price from the Porsche Dealership! Build quality extremely high, better than new!

Last edited by Charles Yost; 10-04-2019 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Purchase Location

Quick Reply: Attn 955 owners with headlamp wiring and turn signal failures.