Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Recommendations for a 2008 Cayenne GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 04:08 PM
edirizarry
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery Recommendations for a 2008 Cayenne GTS?

I'm looking to replace the battery on my 2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS. Any recommendations from experts and owners who have already been through this. A link to a DIY guide would be helpful also. TIA!
Old 02-13-2019, 05:30 PM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...t-battery.html
Old 02-14-2019, 01:58 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

You can find DIY guides in our DIY subforum. If you intend doing DIY stuff on your Cayenne, that might be a good section to become familiar with.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:57 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

There are YouTube videos showing battery replacement.

If the crossreference guide says you need an H8 battery, that is incorrect. The correct battery size is H9. The H9 is in the neighborhood of 2 inches longer than the H8. The short H8 battery doesn't engage the front corner retaining bracket very well. The H9 fits the battery well properly and is held in place properly with the corner bracket.... there is a second retaining device on the battery also... see the video so you don't rip open the bottom of the battery well trying to remove the battery before you release the second retaining device,

I would say most people use AGM replacement batteries as they are only a little more expensive than wet batteries and the last thing you want is to end up on your side or on your roof and have battery acid leak out of the battery. AGM batteries won't do that, no liquid. The spiral cell batteries are unquestionably the best batteries, but you have to have a battery tender intended for use with the spiral cell batteries (Optima and Odyssey are the main brands). There are only 3 battery manufacturing plants in the US.... any battery made in the US came from one of those factories so there's not really a huge difference in well-known brands and less well-known brands other than price and availability of the size you need. Duralast batteries sold by several car parts chains have been getting good reviws in recent years, while Die Hard is just middlin' in regards to performance and life. Search for Duralast on Google to find out which chains carry them. Also note that the "regular" price of the H9 AGM Duralast battery was either $225 or $230 when I got one 3 years ago. But if your need isn't instant, you can wait for a sale when the price goes down to more like $180-ish. You can also try to ask the counter person about the availability of the $180 price "you've seen in ads at times"--you'll often get that price. I think repair shops pay even less than $180 for that particular Duralast battery, probably closer to $150 fheir cost. Lots of Cayennes (all? or at least all 957?) came from the factory with a Bosch H9 battery, but those aren't often attractively priced. And if you go to a Porsche dealer, fa-ged-a-boud-it.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
The spiral cell batteries are unquestionably the best batteries, but you have to have a battery tender intended for use with the spiral cell batteries (Optima and Odyssey are the main brands). .
Good info provided in the post by Scoot.

FYI - Battery Tender and C-Tek are also compatible chargers / maintainers for AGM and Gel Spiral Cell batteries. I use both on the Optima batteries in all my cars and boat. The exception is the Cayenne that has a Napa Gold AGM H9 because Optima doesn't make an H9 size. Cayennes are very voltage and current dependent. Don't get an H8 when an H9 fits (and is the correct size), as you'll be giving up some reserve capacity that you might need someday.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:28 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 956 Likes on 597 Posts

Everyone pretty much hit all the high points. Yesterday, I replaced my 3 yr old Duraleast wet battery with an Interstate AGM H9. Like Pete said, these vehicles are very finicky about proper juice. Limitless gremlins start showing themselves when your battery isn’t keeping a high enough state of charge. I wasn’t impressed with the Duralast and Autolast wet cells I’ve had, so went with the Interstate AGM. The Pelican 955/957 battery tutorial is all you need to reference the procedure.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:08 PM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

We did this thread like 2 weeks ago, hit that search for how-to.

PepBoys may be still running the sale on Bosch AGM batteries. 20% IIRC.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:42 AM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

I was told recently that most car batteries sold retail these days are reman'ed and so tend not to last too long. Sears is among them. Am told the Interstate batteries are not reman, all fresh parts, and I recently installed one in my own Cayenne.

Pelican Parts has a good DIY article.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:55 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

They do not "remanufacture" batteries if you are buying a "known" battery brand. The shell that holds everything is usually exposed to hot, cold, & vibration over years of use and the shells cannot be reused by anybody who wishes to sell a product that doesn't ruin the company with high failure rates. The material the shell is made from gets brittle and prone to failure over time because of the exposure to heat, cold, and vibration. Of course that doesn't prevent a loser from selling DyeHardy or DuraBlast batteries that are just pure junk.

The materials INSIDE the battery aren't "reusable" in the sense that you can remove them and use them in a "new" battery. They do recover the materials inside the battery, and those recovered materials require chemical and/or physical processing or both. The end result of these processed materials is exactly as good as the original materials used in batteries. Like recycled bottle glass... the next bottle made from recycled glass is just as good as the first bottle made from processed sand. For example, expended lead in batteries can be processed back into "virgin lead" using different processes depending on where the lead came from in the expended battery.

I also take exception to the idea that today's batteries don't last as long as they used to. In the late 1960s I would get about 3 years of use from the cheapest battery a college kid could find in Michigan with relatively brutal winters and uncomfortable summers. Later on when I could afford a better battery, 4 or 5 years was pretty typical in harsh climates with the battery located in the engine compartment. Modern batteries located in the engine compartment pretty typically last about 4-5 years. Cayenne batteries and some others that are inside the car or inside the trunk where they are protected from extremes of heat, cold, and vibration last more like 8 years plus or minus (depending on how the vehicle is used and the climate it "lives" in).
Old 02-18-2019, 05:14 PM
Pillow
Racer

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
Modern batteries located in the engine compartment pretty typically last about 4-5 years. Cayenne batteries and some others that are inside the car or inside the trunk where they are protected from extremes of heat, cold, and vibration last more like 8 years plus or minus (depending on how the vehicle is used and the climate it "lives" in).
AGM FTW! Pricey but they last. 25% more to go first class and get a longer warranty 4yr and a battery that will generally last longer.

I have replaced two batteries this year and both conventional batteries lasted 8-9 years. So no complaints. 2010 Cayenne needed the original battery replaced in early January when we had the cold lick. 1971 C10 needed the mid level Duralast replaced after 9 years of mixed use (rarely used), again cold got it a week ago. Looking at the born on date figured it lived a good life and didn't even bother trying to trickle charge it back up.

FWIW I have not had good luck with the Wally World NeverStart batteries. Some people love them, but I have noticed short lifespans and one literally internally short and died (luckily in the driveway one morning).
Old 02-19-2019, 12:46 AM
kaholo1
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Battery

I had to get a new battery for my 2009 GTS last month, and ended up with one from Pep Boys of all places. I went with a Bosch AGM and they were actually on sale. Be sure to have the battery tested in store. Installed and the battery was not fully charged. When I exchanged, I demanded that they test the new battery. Very pleased with the battery. There is a good link on this site on how to install yourself. I usually go with Optima batteries, but there is no application for the cayenne.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:30 AM
Pillow
Racer

Boys, got that $40 PepBoys rebate yesterday! Feelin it!

Old 12-04-2019, 10:40 AM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

FYI, I found a Mercedes Battery on the shelf at work. pn# A0009821808 that appears to be a 105Ah 950cca H9 AGM battery. Apparently all our batteries are relabeled Interstates. The rep said I can get an Interstate labeled MTX-95R/H9 battery for $200.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:46 PM
Rossi
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Just replaced my couple weeks ago (my first AGM in my Cayenne)
I would have gone with Bosch AGM or Interstate AGM, but just had to replace one quickly and couldn’t locate any of those locally in stock. Ended up getting Duralast Platinum AGM from AutoZone, no complaints. So much better that my non-AGM interstate one, that is for sure.

As long as you buy AGM, any brand will do. I purchased H8 size, fits great, I read on this forum H9 is slightly bigger, it fits as well. With any AGM you will get 900+ CCA versus about 750 CCA of non AGM unit. I spins the starter motor remarkably better.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:47 PM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get an AGM. I am a huge fan of the DEKA 95R which is the H9 equivalent. https://www.eastpennmanufacturing.co...Flyer-1737.pdf

Quick Reply: Battery Recommendations for a 2008 Cayenne GTS?