Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red flags or am I being to picky

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 09:01 PM
Chensley
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As beautiful as that across country GTS was, no seat heaters which is on the wife's "must have" list. Eyeballing others but nothing to get excited about yet.

I did see an '04 Turbo with 80k miles that just within the last 10-15k miles had aluminum coolant pipes installed, new drive shaft, new tires, new brakes, new coils and plug, and new rear hatch struts. Asking $16k which is above market, but then again it's had all the important maintenance bits done. Even though it's an '04, it seems this one might be good to go for a while longer before needing any major maintenance.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto...783976719.html
Old 02-21-2019, 09:19 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

A 40k miles 2010 GTS tippy, just popped up on Cars.com...asking big money, $32k. No pics, or options.

check everyday, call/email every dealer without pictures, and details. The market is full of tippy’s
Old 02-21-2019, 09:22 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 597 Posts

OP...the ‘04 is nice, as you say, and also may be pricey, and only 450 hp vs “500”. If all the switches do what they’re supposed to do, that car shouldn’t need much mech or cosmetic attention at all. Might be worth a look, since it has low miles. Bore scope would be in play for PPI. If everything is solid, there’s no reason you couldn’t get over 80k more miles out of it. When you see and hear the right one for you (and the missus), you will know.

’06 CTTS 145,000 miles
Old 02-23-2019, 05:58 PM
Chensley
Advanced

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
A 40k miles 2010 GTS tippy, just popped up on Cars.com...asking big money, $32k. No pics, or options.

check everyday, call/email every dealer without pictures, and details. The market is full of tippy’s
I’ve got my sights set now on a 2009 GTS with only 29k miles on it for $29k. It’s across the country but CarGurus states they are offering free delivery and 7 day money back guarantee. My only concern is it’s had several owners already and the last owner only clocked about 900 miles in the last 2-3 years. Regardless I’m trying to get info from dealer. Emailed them last night asking if they had more photos but haven’t heard back from them yet.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:56 PM
Chensley
Advanced

Doh! Another lost opportunity. That '09 GTS got swooped on they said hours after they offered up delivery nationwide. So I've found yet another GTS that just popped up today with no photos yet, this time a 2010. Thinking all these others that are getting bought up within a day or two of them being posted are not having PPIs done on them. Already contacted the dealer and think I'm going to risk it and drop a deposit on it tomorrow morning to hold it until I can get someone there to look at it. If it's a bust them I might be out my deposit but willing to take the risk at this point.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:05 AM
Chensley
Advanced

Me again...this time with what could possibly be a real red flag on this latest '10 GTS I found with 53k miles. If it wasn't for this I'd have put a deposit on it yesterday. Carfax report shows something possibly very concerning.

December 2010 8,135 miles Oil and filter changed
Next oil change doesn't appear on Carfax at all, until April 2015 when it changes hand to the Porsche dealer who then put it back up for sale to the second owner with 37,166 miles on it, it shows the engine oil system flushed. Then 10 days later, it shows the engine oil system flushed once more.
Then in the hands of the second owner and 10k miles, the thermostat is replaced, coolant temperature sensor replaced, A/C, heater ducts repaired, intake manifold gasket(s) replaced.

Do I run away, or would you still bite if a PPI said all was okay? Something tells me the first owner neglected oil changes for almost 30k miles, then the system had to be flushed. That is unless oil changes weren't recorded, and the dealer flushed the system as a precaution before selling to second owner. Same Porsche dealer has it up for sale again.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:13 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Originally Posted by Chensley
Me again...this time with what could possibly be a real red flag on this latest '10 GTS I found. If it wasn't for this I'd have put a deposit on it yesterday. Carfax report shows something possibly very concerning.

12/01/201012/01/2010 8,135
Oil and filter changed
Sound system component installed08/13/2014 35,517 California
Inspection Station
Duarte, CAPassed emissions inspection11/20/2014 35,569 Gaudin Porsche
Las Vegas, NV
702-383-6800
gaudinporschelv.comMaintenance inspection completed
Key(s) (re) programmed11/25/2014 Dealer InventoryVehicle offered for sale12/05/2014 35,572 Gaudin Porsche
Las Vegas, NV
702-383-6800
gaudinporschelv.comMaintenance inspection completed
New key(s) cut12/26/2014 Oregon
Inspection StationPassed emissions inspection
I wonder if it's starting to have the symptoms of the steering column chip failure. I think this is more prevalent in cars with the Kessy Enter & Drive option - does this one have it?

It's odd that they've reprogrammed and then recut and reprogrammed the keys twice now. I bet it's not starting every time and they're attributing that to something with the keys, which it likely is not. It's possibly only a matter of time before it's a brick and needs either a new steering column (thousands) or the chips in the steering column repaired (if they know to have that done).

My advice - keep looking.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:07 AM
Chensley
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
I wonder if it's starting to have the symptoms of the steering column chip failure. I think this is more prevalent in cars with the Kessy Enter & Drive option - does this one have it?

It's odd that they've reprogrammed and then recut and reprogrammed the keys twice now. I bet it's not starting every time and they're attributing that to something with the keys, which it likely is not. It's possibly only a matter of time before it's a brick and needs either a new steering column (thousands) or the chips in the steering column repaired (if they know to have that done).

My advice - keep looking.
I goofed and hit send before I got a chance to clean up what got pasted over from Carfax. I think I edited it while you were replying to my original comment. Sorry about that. Not sure if it has the Kessy. My main concern was the gap in oil changes and the oil flush. Coincidentally about the keys though...the dealer "lost" them and had to order new ones from the factory which then need to be programmed. It is going to take a little while. I was set to make a deposit to prevent someone else from grabbing it up before I or a mechanic could get up to where it is look at it. Now that the keys are in limbo, nobody is test driving it so I'm not so worried about rushing to make a deposit. I'm thinking of asking the dealer for the service record details to see why it had to be flushed twice. It was done in their service center. Overall though I'm starting to feel like this one might be a risk as well. Bummer to, it looks beautiful in the photos the dealer sent me.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:21 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

I goofed and hit send before I got a chance to clean up what got pasted over from Carfax. I think I edited it while you were replying to my original comment. Sorry about that. Not sure if it has the Kessy. My main concern was the gap in oil changes and the oil flush. Coincidentally about the keys though...the dealer "lost" them and had to order new ones from the factory which then need to be programmed. It is going to take a little while. I was set to make a deposit to prevent someone else from grabbing it up before I or a mechanic could get up to where it is look at it. Now that the keys are in limbo, nobody is test driving it so I'm not so worried about rushing to make a deposit. I'm thinking of asking the dealer for the service record details to see why it had to be flushed twice. It was done in their service center. Overall though I'm starting to feel like this one might be a risk as well. Bummer to, it looks beautiful in the photos the dealer sent me.
For sure find out about the oil system flushing and then decide if they're telling you the truth too
Old 02-28-2019, 11:24 AM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm thinking of asking the dealer for the service record details to see why it had to be flushed twice.
Spot on! They should be able to disclose the full service history in detail. If not, then that would be a red flag to me as they don't want to discuss a past or present issue.

As for the gap, it happens as not all oil change locations report into CarFax.

Of course once you open oil cap, the truth should be reveled on the color.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:31 PM
Chensley
Advanced

So far dead silence from the sales manager since requesting the details on the service history and flush this morning. Another '10 GTS just popped up this morning with 70k miles more locally to me and has full service and maintenance records from the beginning. Not my preferred color, seems majority of the GTS's out there are black, but the condition looks to be excellent. Going to go test drive tomorrow or Saturday.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:56 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

There's a newly listed 09 GTS with 68k in my neck of the woods

https://www.thoroughbredmotors.com/2...1/Details.aspx
Old 02-28-2019, 05:58 PM
Vivid7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Libast
There's a newly listed 09 GTS with 68k in my neck of the woods

https://www.thoroughbredmotors.com/2...1/Details.aspx

https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP1AD29P99LA60986/
Old 03-07-2019, 05:32 PM
Chensley
Advanced

Another question/opinion for the Rennlist community...on the 2010 GTS I was viewing that had a gap on the Carfax for oil change/maintenance and the oil flush, I was able to get the service records from the dealer detailing the repairs made to the vehicle at the time of the oil flush. Below is that was performed. I am a little concerned that this vehicle encountered these issues with less than 50k miles on it, and am starting to wonder if there are less problematic ones out there, or if these repairs made seem to be within reason.

At 49k miles, about 10k miles after the second owner took possession, they complained of an oil leak around the oil cooler area and some squeaking noises in the panoramic sunroof.
Service technician found right side valve cover leaking, vacuum pump on back side of Bank 1 leaking, timing chain cover leaking, upper oil pan leaking, and oil separator leaking. Tech recommendation and repairs were to remove the engine and reseal oil leaks and then reinstall engine. Parts replaced were valve cover gaskets, Bank 1 vacuum pump seal, two new oil evaporator/separator, new timing case cover seals, new oil pan gasket, heat exchanger gaskets, and various other associated o-rings and torx screws, etc.
Total looks like it was close to $6k in repairs, which was all covered under warranty except for $100-$200 of it.

As someone who was looking at purchasing and performing my own maintenance, the list of these repairs needed to the vehicle with less than 50k miles is kind of discouraging. Right now the vehicle has 53k miles though. It appears maybe the second owner decided after these repairs it was time to offload this vehicle.

So worth continuing to pursue? Or does this vehicle sound like it may be experiencing more than the average amount of issues for a 957?
Old 03-07-2019, 05:54 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Another question/opinion for the Rennlist community...on the 2010 GTS I was viewing that had a gap on the Carfax for oil change/maintenance and the oil flush, I was able to get the service records from the dealer detailing the repairs made to the vehicle at the time of the oil flush. Below is that was performed. I am a little concerned that this vehicle encountered these issues with less than 50k miles on it, and am starting to wonder if there are less problematic ones out there, or if these repairs made seem to be within reason.

At 49k miles, about 10k miles after the second owner took possession, they complained of an oil leak around the oil cooler area and some squeaking noises in the panoramic sunroof.
Service technician found right side valve cover leaking, vacuum pump on back side of Bank 1 leaking, timing chain cover leaking, upper oil pan leaking, and oil separator leaking. Tech recommendation and repairs were to remove the engine and reseal oil leaks and then reinstall engine. Parts replaced were valve cover gaskets, Bank 1 vacuum pump seal, two new oil evaporator/separator, new timing case cover seals, new oil pan gasket, heat exchanger gaskets, and various other associated o-rings and torx screws, etc.
Total looks like it was close to $6k in repairs, which was all covered under warranty except for $100-$200 of it.

As someone who was looking at purchasing and performing my own maintenance, the list of these repairs needed to the vehicle with less than 50k miles is kind of discouraging. Right now the vehicle has 53k miles though. It appears maybe the second owner decided after these repairs it was time to offload this vehicle.

So worth continuing to pursue? Or does this vehicle sound like it may be experiencing more than the average amount of issues for a 957?
Sounds as if it was a slow week in the shop and the dealer got Porsche to pay to keep his mechanic's busy. AFAIK - there is only one oil evaporator/separator - but if it clogged up and pressurized the crankcase it might have been the cause for all those oil leaks. Cayenne V8's aren't British, they aren't known for leaving puddles of oil behind wherever they go..

Was the dealership in an area where it gets cold in the winter? Those are the dealerships desperate for work in winter months - all the flat-6 cars are sleeping all winter in a warm garage somewhere, only Cayennes and Macans are out on the road breaking things that need fixing. Dealers have to size the service department for the gravy seasons of spring/summer/fall - meaning they're oversized in the winter - and laying off a good mechanic often results in the mechanic opening his own shop and becoming a competitor to the dealer's service department - so dealers look for ways to keep the mechanics busy in the winter.

Quick Reply: Red flags or am I being to picky