Sponsored by:

Red flags or am I being to picky

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:37 PM
Chensley
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Miamirice

if the “something with the seatbelt in the back” is the center buckle mechanism has fallen apart and has sharp metal edges....that’s a simple replacement item for about $30 and 20 minute job. It’s an issue with these and beside being sharp and gouging your passengers it will shred the seat surface when you fold the seat down.
The rep just said "something with the seatbelt in the back seat". I will definitely pry and see if they can tell me exactly what the issue is. Carfax says no accidents, but that isn't always the truth. There is a guy locally there who does PPI's and is highly regarded and good at finding stuff like this out. If I move forward I am going to have him inspect it.

Made the mistake of telling my 80 year old dad what I was thinking of getting. He is probably one of the grumpiest and most opinionated old men I know. He owned a body shop for 40+ years and builds classic cars, etc. so he is a car guy, but hasn't really worked on or touched any newer car in decades. He has always made his opinion known that Chevy and Toyota = good; and everything else is junk. My wife has a Dodge Caravan with 170k trouble free miles on it, and he still likes to comment every time he sees it what junk Dodge is. Of course the first thing he tells me is horrible idea, that I will never be able to do my own maintenance on it because only the Porsche dealership can clear engine and maintenance codes. So I tell him about Durametric. Next it was that you can't buy Porsche parts anywhere but the dealer and costs are off the richter scale, so then I tell him about Pelican Parts and RockAuto. He pauses for 15-20 seconds then says, "Okay, enjoy! Besides those things they are bitchin cars!"
Old 02-14-2019, 01:09 AM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Chensley
Made the mistake of telling my 80 year old dad what I was thinking of getting. He is probably one of the grumpiest and most opinionated old men I know. He owned a body shop for 40+ years and builds classic cars, etc. so he is a car guy, but hasn't really worked on or touched any newer car in decades. He has always made his opinion known that Chevy and Toyota = good; and everything else is junk. My wife has a Dodge Caravan with 170k trouble free miles on it, and he still likes to comment every time he sees it what junk Dodge is. Of course the first thing he tells me is horrible idea, that I will never be able to do my own maintenance on it because only the Porsche dealership can clear engine and maintenance codes. So I tell him about Durametric. Next it was that you can't buy Porsche parts anywhere but the dealer and costs are off the richter scale, so then I tell him about Pelican Parts and RockAuto. He pauses for 15-20 seconds then says, "Okay, enjoy! Besides those things they are bitchin cars!"
LOL. Get him signed up here on rennlist. Would love to hear his opinions on all the stuff discussed here.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:38 PM
Chensley
Advanced

Originally Posted by oldskewel
LOL. Get him signed up here on rennlist. Would love to hear his opinions on all the stuff discussed here.
He can barely use a cell phone much less a computer. He is all about the LS life though. He's still got a 1966 Nova II with an LS2 with a magnacharger on it pushing out close to 700hp.

Seems the one I was interested in fell off the face of the planet. I mentioned to the dealer yesterday that I wanted a third-party person to come inspect it when repairs were done, and his response was he would let me know when he got back in the office today, but they had received a lot of inquiries on it already and vehicles are sold on first come first served basis. I didn't like that answer so I called another person at the dealer and they referred me to go online and place a reservation to test-drive, and this would put a hold on it until I can get someone to look at it. Then said depending on when repairs are done I could move that reservation out if needed. They were supposed to get back to me today on status, but hadn't heard anything so left another message, still nothing. Then jumped on their website and it's not listed any longer. Also got pulled off of the other used car listing sites.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:53 PM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

He is all about the LS life though. He's still got a 1966 Nova II with an LS2 with a magnacharger on it pushing out close to 700hp.

Then jumped on their website and it's not listed any longer. Also got pulled off of the other used car listing sites.
Approved on the LS2 w blower!

Some of the higher end dealers or Porsche dealers will list a vehicle they just took in to get the interest ball rolling... Then a few days later after it goes through the shop and deficiencies are found... They kick it off their lot as it does not meet their standards. I ran across two that fell in that category; one from a VA Beach Porsche dealer and another in PA Bobby Rathal (sp) Porsche who listed and then retracted a couple Cayennes. But the sales folks were pretty clear that the Cayennes needed inspection and cleaned before they would hit the lot... But yet the FS ads were on the internet, usually tagged as photos coming soon. Oddly, IDK where the Cayennes went after the dealers as they did not show up again in the extended time I was looking either! (auction wholesale blackhole?)

Old 02-15-2019, 05:11 PM
Chensley
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pillow
Approved on the LS2 w blower!

Some of the higher end dealers or Porsche dealers will list a vehicle they just took in to get the interest ball rolling... Then a few days later after it goes through the shop and deficiencies are found... They kick it off their lot as it does not meet their standards. I ran across two that fell in that category; one from a VA Beach Porsche dealer and another in PA Bobby Rathal (sp) Porsche who listed and then retracted a couple Cayennes. But the sales folks were pretty clear that the Cayennes needed inspection and cleaned before they would hit the lot... But yet the FS ads were on the internet, usually tagged as photos coming soon. Oddly, IDK where the Cayennes went after the dealers as they did not show up again in the extended time I was looking either! (auction wholesale blackhole?)
I actually just heard back from the dealer. Someone came in yesterday and bought it before they even made the repairs.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:15 PM
Chensley
Advanced

Dealer called, sold it already yesterday. Someone came in and bought it before repairs had been made.

Photo of Nova for good measure.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:49 PM
Chensley
Advanced

Just to see I checked on the CPO 2009 S with 40k miles I saw a listed couple of days ago that they wanted $24k ($4,500 above market value) for. It sold less than 24 hours after it was posted.

Good examples of these are obviously in very high demand around here at the moment and people are willing to pay well over market value. Will keep looking but at some point I may have to go back to my Plan B which is not a Porsche.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:26 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Just to see I checked on the CPO 2009 S with 40k miles I saw a listed couple of days ago that they wanted $24k ($4,500 above market value) for. It sold less than 24 hours after it was posted.

Good examples of these are obviously in very high demand around here at the moment and people are willing to pay well over market value. Will keep looking but at some point I may have to go back to my Plan B which is not a Porsche.
People may be willing to pay over market value IF the car has been CPO'd since wise shoppers know the cost of repairing an older German car.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:07 AM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
People may be willing to pay over market value IF the car has been CPO'd since wise shoppers know the cost of repairing an older German car.
Dang!

x2 on the CPO. Given the potential issues the CPO is risk mitigation. Or buy a warranty if needed. Plus that was low low mileage which helps. Still amazing as that is deep in 2011+ S price territory.

That Nova is the sex! The steelies w dog dish caps are perfect. No one suspects the LS

I'm sure you could have a follow member check out Cayennes that aren't close by if you were open to traveling once decided..?

Old 02-16-2019, 03:41 PM
Chensley
Advanced

The frame on the Nova is fully reinforced underneath and has caltracs traction bars installed on it. It is a total sleeper with the stock interior and original bench seat.

Most of the other 957s I'm finding of interest are mostly in So. Cal. which is a 5-6 hour drive away. I've kind of resolved I'd rather have one of those over a 955. Found another '09 GTS with 76k miles at a dealer down there that just was traded in and they are asking $20k. They sent me some photos before it went to get some repairs and detail and it looked kind of thrashed. The rear lift gate had damage around the license plate and the rear bumper was cracked in a couple of spots. Wheels were filthy with dirt and brake dust. The driver's seat bolster had an area where the black was worn off and looking like close to having a hole in it. Told them thanks but no thanks.

There is a nice looking '09 Turbo from a private seller with recent service, brakes, new tires, and a champion motorsports lowering module for $22k. I keep hearing and reading how stout the turbos are people putting loads of miles on them, just not sure I want the extra maintenance costs and things that possibly could go wrong with a turbo.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:30 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

There is a nice looking '09 Turbo from a private seller with recent service, brakes, new tires, and a champion motorsports lowering module for $22k. I keep hearing and reading how stout the turbos are people putting loads of miles on them, just not sure I want the extra maintenance costs and things that possibly could go wrong with a turbo.
Very little difference in repairs/maintenance between an S and a Turbo.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:21 PM
Chensley
Advanced

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Very little difference in repairs/maintenance between an S and a Turbo.
The more I research the turbo the better it sounds. Seems to be more than a handful of folks who are hitting 200k miles without any major issue and it has a little extra grunt for towing which helps since I may consider towing my track car every now and then with it. The one near me I am looking at has 22" wheels which is an extra expense when it comes to new tires. If I ended up with something like that I could sell them and pick up a smaller set.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:03 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Turbos also have air suspension standard. Non can have it, but it's an option.

Turbos also tend to be optioned nicer than the 'lesser' models. Again, you can find non that are well optioned, but turbos are better equipped on average.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:58 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

The frame on the Nova is fully reinforced underneath and has caltracs traction bars installed on it. It is a total sleeper with the stock interior and original bench seat.

Most of the other 957s I'm finding of interest are mostly in So. Cal. which is a 5-6 hour drive away. I've kind of resolved I'd rather have one of those over a 955. Found another '09 GTS with 76k miles at a dealer down there that just was traded in and they are asking $20k. They sent me some photos before it went to get some repairs and detail and it looked kind of thrashed. The rear lift gate had damage around the license plate and the rear bumper was cracked in a couple of spots. Wheels were filthy with dirt and brake dust. The driver's seat bolster had an area where the black was worn off and looking like close to having a hole in it. Told them thanks but no thanks.

If your looking for a 957 GTS...there are literally dozens, if not hundreds in the nationwide marketplace. Mileage all over the place, but if you look closely, there are many in the 60-75k mile range for sub $20k, or very low 20’s. Not terribly hard to find in a tip..many look to be in well above average shape.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:53 AM
Chensley
Advanced

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
If your looking for a 957 GTS...there are literally dozens, if not hundreds in the nationwide marketplace. Mileage all over the place, but if you look closely, there are many in the 60-75k mile range for sub $20k, or very low 20’s. Not terribly hard to find in a tip..many look to be in well above average shape.
I had been mainly searching for west coast cars. Still trying to come to grips that I may have to go long distance to find what I want at a good price. Was apprehensive about vehicles that spent any time in and around the salt belt. Since I will be DIY'ing the majority of my maintenance I don't want something where all the bolts are seized from corrosion, but I also assume these are likely more corrosion resistant than other automaker's typical car.

So I did expand my search our nationwide and found a GTS with a hair over 60k and the interior condition looks ten times better than the others I've seen with similar mileage. The rotors and tires look to have been recently replaced and everything about the vehicle looks super clean. They say they have a PPI done by their inhouse Porsche repair shop, for whatever that's worth which could be nothing. If this thing checks out to be as nice as it looks for the price (will likely ask if I could get a third party PPI), I'll buy it and just have it shipped out to me.

Quick Reply: Red flags or am I being to picky