955 Keyless Entry Key Programming How To & Remote Start Possibilities

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 05:51 PM
aksuited
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 955 Keyless Entry Key Programming How To & Remote Start Possibilities

Hey All,

I am curious to ask the experienced owners here about the process to replace / program a new key transmitter for the Cayanne. My 955 S came used with 2 old transmitters, and after replacing battery's in both 1 unit appears to be dead and the other works, but is slightly intermittent... Possibly buttons going bad on it. So my question is can I buy replacements and program them or is the programer a expensive tool I would need? Also how are they programmed, do they each have a unique code code assigned to the car? If so will a Porsche dealer supply it to me so I can get a key programmed somewhere else (hopefully) cheaper? Mine are the 2 button type, with the middle being blank. I was also curious if that was the only type for this vehicle.

Also, as a secondary question I was woundered about my options for adding a remote start to it. I have dine one searching, but not a lot of conclusions so far. I am curious is a original factory remote start was available and if so can it be retroactively added? If not is the a good aftermarket option?

Thanks all!
Old 01-19-2019, 07:08 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

The basics on key programming are covered here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-straight.html

Short answer, it takes the factory programming tool to do it.

Remote start is not possible, AFAIK.

It would require a key be in the vehicle to deactivate the immobilizer. The car will not start without a working key fob, coded to the car, in the car.

A search will find more on this.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:09 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

A bit of searching will turn up a thread on replacing the case on your old key. New keys have to be programmed by the dealer. Most dealers won't bother with keys not bought from them. The flat-blade key that Porsche uses most locksmiths don't have a machine to cut the blank. Usually the simpler answer is to buy a replacement key from Porsche and have them program it. Unfortunately - that's also an expensive solution (but I don't know of any inexpensive ones..) There are key programmers (recent thread here on one) that can be bought - but the cost would be prohibitive to do one vehicle.

As far as remote start - they never came with it, and due to the key-chip doing it would require sacrificing a key and make it so the vehicle couldn't be locked using a keyfob. I don't know of anyone who has successfully done this (but there might be one out there - and I'm sure they'll pop in and tell you how they did it.)
Old 01-20-2019, 10:33 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

For remote start you'd also have to simulate the driver door opening signal with some type of relay setup as that's what primes the fuel pump.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:15 PM
MKITGO2
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
For remote start you'd also have to simulate the driver door opening signal with some type of relay setup as that's what primes the fuel pump.
Really... that is interesting... Don't think I have ever head of a car that ties the fuel pump to the door..
Old 01-20-2019, 02:35 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Originally Posted by MKITGO2
Really... that is interesting... Don't think I have ever head of a car that ties the fuel pump to the door..
Open your driver's door and listen. Only works the first time then not for the next 10 or 15 minutes, and then will do it again.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

You'd also have to simulate stepping on the brake pedal..

I think you can see why this idea is a non-starter..
Old 01-20-2019, 05:41 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I could be wrong, but I don't think that's absolutely necessary.
It might take a bit more cranking to start up, but I think the fuel pump would start once the engine starts turning.

I've started the car without opening the driver's door once or twice.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:46 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Reason's it hasn't been done since 2003..... or ever.

Quick Reply: 955 Keyless Entry Key Programming How To & Remote Start Possibilities