Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Cayenne GTS (957) as a dd...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 12:38 PM
Vivid7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

thats my only gripe with my 08. Sirius is still enabled though so I’ve been enjoying that for free.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:47 PM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

For what its worth, I bought a Seicane head unit - which is awesome, and turned around and sold my PCM. I netted out costing me about $25 for the new head unit.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:06 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

For Bluetooth, I've had the Tranzit Blu BT for a few years and think its fine. It does add a button and its own mic, but they're invisible after the first week. My only real gripe is that defeats the radio when its on because it uses the antenna conn. When its off, the radio is fine. Here's my write-up on it:
Tranzit Blu Bluetooth add-on

Also,I advise that you look around at some of the DIY posts here. A DIY repair on a Cayenne doesn't necessarily mean simple or easy; it means more like "possible" if you're very patient, quite mechanically savvy, have the tools and are double jointed with hands like Nosferatu. Typical DIY things easy on most cars can be a PITA on Cayenne; like replacing old cracking heater hoses. If you look at the engine, you'll see many of the typical DIY things aren't very easy to access or hidden under a layer of stuff.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:04 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 183 Posts

Picked up my 09 GTS this morning. 92k miles yes...but most all records since delivery(same PCar dealer), needs a few things, but it was bought right. Enjoyed the 6 hour drive home, everything works! Time to accumulate more stuff.

Loweing links are incoming, have found some summer tires too. Still need a winter wheelset, all weather mats, and a few other bits. An education into these bests is the first order of business.

Special thanks to rennlister Mdistel for the rennfax, and to Porsche of N Olmsted for all their assistance getting the maintenance records. Just the crappy dealer pic this morning, actually traded my Focus RS in for it. Don’t miss that at all.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:10 AM
Vivid7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy

Picked up my 09 GTS this morning. 92k miles yes...but most all records since delivery(same PCar dealer), needs a few things, but it was bought right. Enjoyed the 6 hour drive home, everything works! Time to accumulate more stuff.

Loweing links are incoming, have found some summer tires too. Still need a winter wheelset, all weather mats, and a few other bits. An education into these bests is the first order of business.

Special thanks to rennlister Mdistel for the rennfax, and to Porsche of N Olmsted for all their assistance getting the maintenance records. Just the crappy dealer pic this morning, actually traded my Focus RS in for it. Don’t miss that at all.

Congrats! Did the dealer give you all of its history of dealership work? My local dealer said its against their policy.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:57 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Vivid7
Congrats! Did the dealer give you all of its history of dealership work? My local dealer said its against their policy.
Porsche of N Olmstead(Jeremy in service) was extremely helpful. When the dealer who took the GTS in trade, sent me the Carfax...everything was N Olmstead on it. A simple call to the dealership service department, yielded complete transparency regarding the vehicle. The previous owners information was physically cut off from the paperwork that was eventually provided to me. No personal information about the gentleman was shared from either dealer. I have asked the current selling dealer to contact the previous owner, to enquire about a second key, leftover summer tires, or any other bits he may have.

Any dealer, let alone a Porsche dealer, should be able, and willing...to provide maintenance records for any vehicle they had serviced that was now on the market for sale. That can be easily done without sharing personal information about the previous owner. The strength of those maintenance records, the frequency of the vehicle care, and the service ambassadors(Grand title representative of the shops hourly rate I presume)description of the ute’s care...gave me a lot of confidence in the purchase.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:12 PM
TCZ
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I DD mine and really enjoy it. The best and cheapest mod IMO is to enable the sport exhaust full time by disconnecting the vacuum lines. Makes the daily drive a blast. Have fun!
Old 01-19-2019, 05:55 PM
pnuts
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TCZ
I DD mine and really enjoy it. The best and cheapest mod IMO is to enable the sport exhaust full time by disconnecting the vacuum lines. Makes the daily drive a blast. Have fun!
I want to do this too. Does the truck need to be in sport mode (valves open) prior to disconnecting the vacuum lines?
Old 01-19-2019, 10:38 PM
TCZ
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't do it myself but that makes sense....
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in. I know there are some DIYs on the forum if you search.
Cheers.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:02 PM
Chensley
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great thread for a newbie like myself who is going through a similar search for a good, higher mileage used Cayenne. Been reading all the "thinking about buying" threads as well and a bunch of other online research. I've got it fairly narrowed down to exactly what I want, and while a GTS is a possibility, the S will suffice for my needs and save me a few extra $$ on things like tires and brakes in the long run. I do all my own maintenance as well and have full access to a hydraulic lift so that helps as well. Every penny saved on maintenance means more money I can put towards playing at the race track. Which coincidentally my track car will get towed with whatever I end up with...hopefully a 957 S.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:12 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I daily drive my 2013 GTS. Probably my favorite vehicle of all time as a DD. Bought new, just turned 90,000 miles. I did replace the transfer case, and just did front rotors and pads (myself). Other than that, has been extremely reliable and very comfortable and fun to drive. Can't beat the V8 sound.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Cayenne GTS (957) as a dd...