Sponsored by:

Hard Start diagnosis and a squeal when starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 11:23 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hard Start diagnosis and a squeal when starting

I have a 2005 Cayenne Turbo that I have had for 8 years. It has 173,000 miles on it. It has what I call a hard start. It starts but not necessarily easily. Turn the key wait a second like its not going to do anything and then it will crank slowing and start and run with no issues. It doesn't just crank, when it turns over 1-2 times it starts. It just doesn't seem like it is going to turn over. It does it 70% and other times it starts more easily. If it sits for a while (its a 3rd car option in a 2 driver household...that we reserve for hauling stuff or long trips) it is sometimes harder. I suspected a battery at first. Independent shop had it in changing a set or control arms and said it was the battery. Checking the receipts the battery is only 1 year old, took to the place I bought the battery (I installed it myself) and attempted to test on the jump terminals and it wouldn't test. Had to take to the Porsche dealership because the rear wiper got ripped off in a car wash (wash paid for it). While it was in I had them look at the hard start. They checked the battery and said it was fine. They said the starter. The dealership has not had the best track record in diagnosing things. Rennlist has always given be the answers. Thoughts? Starter? Fuel pump (I saw that mentioned in a starting issue thread)? Something else? If starter, it is my understanding it is PITA to get out...is there anything else to replace while there? It runs great, pulls strong, and I have put some $$ into maintaining it in top shape because it my triathlon hauling machine. We are planning a 18 hour 1 way trip in 2 weeks and I don't want to get stranded.

The last thing...when starting after stilling for a while, there is an initial squeal...it sounds like a belt slip. The serpentine belt was replaced about 5k miles ago. Pulley bearing?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 01-14-2019, 09:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,165 Likes on 3,930 Posts

When it does turn over, is it lethargic or does it crank strong? If lethargic, try opening the rear hatch a couple times - does it go all the way up or get stuck part way up. If it gets stuck, that's a sign of a low battery. A car that isn't used very much should be kept on a Battery Tender to keep the battery fully charged, without overcharging it.

I keep all but my DD on Battery Tenders as I never know how long one may sit and not get driven - could be a day, could be a month.

Regarding the squeal, since you say the belt is.new, that means it could be the tensioner going bad and not keeping the belt tight enough where the initial start has it slipping or could be any pulley on an accessory that's part of the belt route (A/C compressor, waterpump, alternator, power steering pump, idler pulley, etc or it could that device itself start g to seize up. Since you're having a slow start issue, I'd look at the alternator especially carefully.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:26 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Ok, make sure I understand what you are saying:

You turn the key and nothing for a second or two?
Then it cranks, but slowly, as if the battery isn't fully charged? But the battery tests good?
When it does crank, it only cranks a couple of revolutions and then fires?
Once it fires, it runs fine?

Is that an accurate description?

If so, most likely starter.

You can do a couple of checks to see what's up.
Put a meter on the jump post and check voltage. See what it is when you turn the key on. See what it is when you turn the key. See what it does during that second or two when you have turned it to 'start' but the starter hasn't kicked in. See what it is when the starter is actually cranking. See what it is once the car fires up.

Belt squeal: There's a significant difference between 'belt squeal' and 'bad bearing squeal'. Normally a bad bearing doesn't go quiet after a couple seconds. It may quiet down some, but it doesn't go away completely. If it's genuine belt squeal, I would suspect the tensioner isn't as tight as it should be.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:24 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Ok, make sure I understand what you are saying:

You turn the key and nothing for a second or two?
Then it cranks, but slowly, as if the battery isn't fully charged? But the battery tests good?
When it does crank, it only cranks a couple of revolutions and then fires?
Once it fires, it runs fine?

Is that an accurate description?
That is fairly accurate. It does not do it all the time either. However, I would describe the it as a hard starting vehicle. Other than the start I have no reason to suspect the battery. With regard to the other poster...the 2005 doesn't have an electric hatch (all manual) except for the electric release and then final close....we are slumming in the 2005 . Sounds like I need to look at the battery to make sure...but it is sounding more like a starter issue.

The bearing discussion makes more sense...I wasn't thinking about it correctly...it would be logical if a bearing was going bad it would squeal all the time. It really only squeals on a cold start. After it is has started and ran even for a few minutes and then stopped and restarted it wont squeal. Tensioner makes sense.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:31 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Search Cayenne Kazoo and watch a few videos with the noise.
If that's what you're hearing (along with the other issues), you need a new starter.

Quick Reply: Hard Start diagnosis and a squeal when starting