Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was using a charger with jump starting (60A output) to start a 2004 Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 11:46 PM
rting
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was using a charger with jump starting (60A output) to start a 2004 Cayenne S

(60,000km on the odometer) Now the car is completely dead with no Interior lights anywhere. Car was sitting there with a charger on timer charging for maybe an hour per day for a month while I was on vacation. The CD/radio was making a clicking sound prior to and I thought the battery needs a boost to start after a month. Now nothing!

Well almost nothing - behind the dash board there is some very weak clicking/sound.

Thought I ask here first - before towing it to the Porsche dealership.

Last edited by rting; 01-12-2019 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Wrong model year
Old 01-13-2019, 04:54 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Why a high power charger for 1 hour a day? That could blow up your car if the charger is boiling hydrogen and oxygen out of the battery (less likely if the battery is AGM or Odyssey/Optima-type battery which are gel-impregnated fabric rolled up like toilet paper in each cell). Under some conditions, powerful battery chargers can even cause the battery case to swell and split. An hour a day on a high power charger like that connected to a car thats not being driven at all... that is 30 hours of charging on a charger that can deliver up to 60 amps? You didnt think that was massive overkill? One hour of charging with that charger is far more than you need for 30 days of sitting unused. You have probably boiled the battery to death--killed it dead. This is why they make Battery Tenders for $40 to $60... they cant damage a battery when left connected 24/7. I would take the battery somewhere they can test it. if the battery has conventional screw off caps, and it was a wet (liquid acid) battery, the acid should be visible with the cell's cap off so bring a flashlight when you check. if you are lucky, youll only need a new battery. You cant save a battery that has been overcharged. 20Amp-hours a day (20 amp charger, 1 hour a day) would STILL be overcharging the battery. You probably didnt need more than 10 or 15 minutes on your charger to top off the charge after sitting for a month unless there is a parasitic load on the battery that accelerates discharging.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

I'm a little consumed by the original post. Was the 60A jump starter the same charger being used for 1 hour per day with the timer or was it a normal charger and then you tried to jump start it with the 60A jump box without success?

If the battery is internally shorted from overcharging, the jump box will do nothing. You'd have to disconnect the battery to get it out of the circuit and then use only the jump box or a spare battery.

Scoot is certainly correct here though, that a Battery Tender was the proper way to do this rather than a regular charger and timer. Was the timer the battery charger was plugged into rated to handle the amp draw of the battery charger as those timers are usually only made for lights. You may have cooked the timer or blown the outlet fuse where it was plugged in the first time it turned on, which means you got no charging at all for the month you were gone and the battery is now completely dead.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:03 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

One time I tried to start the Cayenne with a 40a charger connected directly to the battery. The whole car went completely dead. I took the cables off the battery and discharged all the static electricity and all was well. Never again.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:31 PM
rting
Instructor

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
Why a high power charger for 1 hour a day? That could blow up your car if the charger is boiling hydrogen and oxygen out of the battery (less likely if the battery is AGM or Odyssey/Optima-type battery which are gel-impregnated fabric rolled up like toilet paper in each cell). Under some conditions, powerful battery chargers can even cause the battery case to swell and split. An hour a day on a high power charger like that connected to a car thats not being driven at all... that is 30 hours of charging on a charger that can deliver up to 60 amps? You didnt think that was massive overkill? One hour of charging with that charger is far more than you need for 30 days of sitting unused. You have probably boiled the battery to death--killed it dead. This is why they make Battery Tenders for $40 to $60... they cant damage a battery when left connected 24/7. I would take the battery somewhere they can test it. if the battery has conventional screw off caps, and it was a wet (liquid acid) battery, the acid should be visible with the cell's cap off so bring a flashlight when you check. if you are lucky, youll only need a new battery. You cant save a battery that has been overcharged. 20Amp-hours a day (20 amp charger, 1 hour a day) would STILL be overcharging the battery. You probably didnt need more than 10 or 15 minutes on your charger to top off the charge after sitting for a month unless there is a parasitic load on the battery that accelerates discharging.
Yes. Charging is only for minutes a day at regular settings. NOT at jump start settings. I switched to jump starting / high power because I was not going to drive any distance as I thought starting drains the battery and not driving won’t charge the battery. Prior to starting the radio/CD player was making a clicking sound.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:36 PM
rting
Instructor

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
One time I tried to start the Cayenne with a 40a charger connected directly to the battery. The whole car went completely dead. I took the cables off the battery and discharged all the static electricity and all was well. Never again.
The charger was taken off immediately after all went dead.

can you talk about what is “discharged all the static electricity”?

Old 01-13-2019, 02:26 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by rting

Yes. Charging is only for minutes a day at regular settings. NOT at jump start settings. I switched to jump starting / high power because I was not going to drive any distance as I thought starting drains the battery and not driving won’t charge the battery. Prior to starting the radio/CD player was making a clicking sound.
High current battery chargers can cause spikes in the electrical system that are not at all friendly to the sensitive electronics scattered all over a modern Porsche. This is especially true if the battery failed open - or if you try using it to actually start the car without a battery as someone suggested (a very BAD thing to do..) Battery chargers count on the battery to provide a resistive/capacitive load on the system to filter out AC ripple - they do not have filtering built in.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:29 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

The charger was taken off immediately after all went dead.

can you talk about what is “discharged all the static electricity”?

Remove + and - leads from battery and touch them together for about a min. If you have two batteries do both.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:56 PM
rting
Instructor

Remove + and - leads from battery and touch them together for about a min. If you have two batteries do both.
touch both the + and - together!? I will use a separate jumper cable as the battery is under the front seat and no power means I cannot move the front power seat at all

Will not proceed with this as essentially we are talking about reset the circuit without the battery and I have no access to disconnect the battery ?
Old 01-13-2019, 04:07 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

touch both the + and - together!? I will use a separate jumper cable as the battery is under the front seat and no power means I cannot move the front power seat at all

Will not proceed with this as essentially we are talking about reset the circuit without the battery and I have no access to disconnect the battery ?
No! You don't jumper + & - anywhere while the battery is still hooked up!
Have it towed to a mechanic.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:44 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Remove first!!!!! Both battery's if you have two!!!!!

You can still lift the front seat to access the battery. You can even disconnect the leads outside the battery box.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:42 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

You can also disconnect the ground strap on the battery without moving or lifting the seat at all.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:08 PM
Palantir
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

As promised earlier:
editosted in the wrong thread

Last edited by Palantir; 09-15-2023 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-02-2024, 04:50 PM
Islandbound
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry, posted in wrong thread

Last edited by Islandbound; 02-02-2024 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Posted in Wrong Thread
Old 02-02-2024, 04:56 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Islandbound
Advice needed, please.

My 2019 Cayenne with a LiFePO4 battery will jump start with the NOCO 10 Genius 10. After jumping, I drove it for about 40 miles to try and charge the battery without success. The car is immediately unresponsive as soon as it is switched off. My husband tried to charge it with a NOCO GBX45 overnight without success. The indicator lights seemed to work correctly but the car remained unresponsive.

I spoke to the Porsche Service Manager who stated they are replacing the Cayenne batteries under the Emissions Warranty. However, the dealer is 1 ½ hours away (105 miles). All but 5 miles is Interstate driving. It’s a $600 tow charge. The dealer suggested jumping & driving it while leaving the NOCO attached to the battery in the floor.

Questions:

Can I jump start the car & drive it to the dealer?

Will it damage the vehicle?

Will driving it that far damage the clutch? I was told it would.
No, I don't think that will work. Sounds like your battery has failed and has no capacity for the alternator to recharge it or the alternator has failed and won't charge the battery. In either case the high output but low capacity jump box is not going to keep all the electronics in the vehicle working during a 100 mile drive. Once the voltage drops below 12v, systems.wilknstatt to shut down and once the fuel pump stops pumping or the ignition module can't spark the plugs and coils, you're dead on the side of the road.

Sing up for AAA+ plus and next week start the drive and when it shuts off call triple AAA to tow you the 100 miles to the dealership if that's the closest one. The plus level membership gets you 100.mile.towing range.

​​​​

Quick Reply: Was using a charger with jump starting (60A output) to start a 2004 Cayenne S