Sponsored by:

front right "bearing noise"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 03:40 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts
Default front right "bearing noise"?

'08 Cayenne S, about 110K miles on the odo, makes a noise that gets pronounced at about 40 MPH that sounds like it's coming from the front of the car, sounds like a classic bad wheel bearing noise. It gets worse when the steering wheel is turned to the left, loading the right side. And it abates quickly if I turn the wheel to the right. I've replaced the right front bearing, no change to the symptoms. The left front bearing was changed last year (previous owner's mechanic or someone like him stripped the threads in the pivot bearing for the brake caliper's upper bolt, ugh). I can sense the noise/vibration in the steering wheel, believe the issue's at the front of the car.

Anyone seen and cured this before? The half-shafts' boots are intact, no tears, fwiw. Differential? TIA and cheers,
Old 01-11-2019, 07:54 PM
tats
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front CV joint? What does it do if you drive full lock right vs full lock left?
Old 01-12-2019, 12:45 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGross
'08 Cayenne S, about 110K miles on the odo, makes a noise that gets pronounced at about 40 MPH that sounds like it's coming from the front of the car, sounds like a classic bad wheel bearing noise. It gets worse when the steering wheel is turned to the left, loading the right side. And it abates quickly if I turn the wheel to the right. I've replaced the right front bearing, no change to the symptoms. The left front bearing was changed last year (previous owner's mechanic or someone like him stripped the threads in the pivot bearing for the brake caliper's upper bolt, ugh). I can sense the noise/vibration in the steering wheel, believe the issue's at the front of the car.

Anyone seen and cured this before? The half-shafts' boots are intact, no tears, fwiw. Differential? TIA and cheers,
Whomp whomp whomp sound?
FWIW, I had a rear wheel bearing replaced by Porsche when I first got the Cayenne and they didn't replace the hub. I'm not sure where they screwed up besides that. Soon later I had to replace it again. I don't remember how long it was but it wasn't long at all.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:03 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGross

Your description sounds like classic wheel bearing. The only other thing I'd check is is maybe the brake caliper pistons are sticking a little on one side and turning the wheel causes just enough load shift that the pad on that one side drags a little. J's descripion of wheel bearing sound is good. The lazy caliper with pad touching would sound more like a scraping sound.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:36 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tats
Front CV joint? What does it do if you drive full lock right vs full lock left?
Thanks everyone for the ideas, and apologies for my slow follow-up. Busy few days. Tats, it's not the usual CV joint noise but then noises are not always to spec! Just drove the truck at full lock, one side then the other, in tight donuts: no noise, seems normal.

To be clear, both front wheel bearings have been replaced: I did the right (noisy) side a few days ago, the left was replaced about a year ago along with its pivot bearing. I think they can be ruled out.

Doesn't sounds like brake pads dragging. The noise is a whirr or growl that starts around 30 MPH, and gets strong about 40 MPH. I ordered a couple of axles, will swap them next. I think the right front axle may be original, judging from the anti-seize used on the hub splines. When I did the left-side bearing, pulling the hub out took a lot of force with a two-arm puller -- no anti-seize! Which makes me think it was replaced at some time, since the WSM calls for anti-seize on the splines and I assume the factory eats its own cooking.

I'm grateful for other ideas, and hoping I don't end up replacing the front diff. Cheers,
Old 01-15-2019, 12:38 AM
tats
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can get all four wheels in the air and the car running at tick over in drive - sometimes you can feel a wheel bearing by touching the spring. It will have a definite pulse to it - be very careful tho, spinning machinery and hands don’t mix. Hair, necklace, watch strap, loose clothing, you get the picture.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:36 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Speed-dependent groan is most likely front diffs....
Old 01-25-2019, 08:17 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
Speed-dependent groan is most likely front diffs....
With the parts that have already been changed out, I agree with Dilberto.

Easiest way to check the front differential is change its oil (you'll want to do this at your mileage anyway). If the oil has suspended metal flake in it, either the ring and pinion have worn into each other (usually a high pitch whine), or a carrier / pinion bearing has failed.
Hopefully it's clean and you can move onto more easily serviceable parts.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:12 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
With the parts that have already been changed out, I agree with Dilberto.

Easiest way to check the front differential is change its oil (you'll want to do this at your mileage anyway). If the oil has suspended metal flake in it, either the ring and pinion have worn into each other (usually a high pitch whine), or a carrier / pinion bearing has failed.
Hopefully it's clean and you can move onto more easily serviceable parts.
Thanks for the idea. Drained the front diff oil, it is clean as a whistle. Next step is changing the rear wheel bearings...
Old 01-25-2019, 09:54 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

I hate driveline noises - I'm always terrible at tracking them down and end up replacing way too many parts. Once I rebuild a differential on a FWD car cause I could've sworn the noise was coming from the diff. Turned out to be a wheel bearing. FML.

With that said, I had a similar problem to yours on a Toyota, where the noise will change when a side is loaded. Did tons of research and replaced everything (rotors, pads, bearings, ball joints, bushings) but the hub itself. One of the suggestions on BWM forums was to check the control arm bushings: theory is when the side is loaded a bad bushing will deflect more changing alignment, causing noise. Don't know if that's your problem, but worth checking. It is also possible to f-up the hub (yes, cast iron can bend, or bearing bore can get messed up), especially if you had an accident or if the genius changing the wheel bearing puts things in crooked and cranks the press up to 11, but it is rare.

Another good test for driveline vs bearing is to throw the car into Neutral at speed and see if the noise changes. If it goes away, the bearings are good and you need to start looking at your driveline. If it stays, it's something in your suspension or hub. Don't forget to put your car back in drive

Finally, "ChassisEAR" is a pretty good tool in these types of situations. Pain in the **** to setup, but well worth it.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:29 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slavie
I hate driveline noises - I'm always terrible at tracking them down and end up replacing way too many parts. Once I rebuild a differential on a FWD car cause I could've sworn the noise was coming from the diff. Turned out to be a wheel bearing. FML.

With that said, I had a similar problem to yours on a Toyota, where the noise will change when a side is loaded. Did tons of research and replaced everything (rotors, pads, bearings, ball joints, bushings) but the hub itself. One of the suggestions on BWM forums was to check the control arm bushings: theory is when the side is loaded a bad bushing will deflect more changing alignment, causing noise. Don't know if that's your problem, but worth checking. It is also possible to f-up the hub (yes, cast iron can bend, or bearing bore can get messed up), especially if you had an accident or if the genius changing the wheel bearing puts things in crooked and cranks the press up to 11, but it is rare.

Another good test for driveline vs bearing is to throw the car into Neutral at speed and see if the noise changes. If it goes away, the bearings are good and you need to start looking at your driveline. If it stays, it's something in your suspension or hub. Don't forget to put your car back in drive

Finally, "ChassisEAR" is a pretty good tool in these types of situations. Pain in the **** to setup, but well worth it.
Thanks... some great ideas, will pursue them.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:48 AM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, super obvious I know, but did you check your tires for any cupping or other odd wearing?
Old 03-21-2021, 11:07 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Check the brake backing plates, make sure they are not rubbing. These are easy to bend when working on the car.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:31 PM
Nicolas911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Headlight Seal and KevinGross, did you find what it is ? I have the same symptoms and it drives me nut for a month. I changed all four tires as I thought they would be the cause. Then I thought of a wheel bearing but lift up the car and the wheels feel pretty tight. So not sure about the cause and as I am at the last straight of the full restauration of my classic 911, I don't want to spend too much time on the Cayenne yet.

Quick Reply: front right "bearing noise"?