Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

957 GTS lifespan

Old 01-15-2019, 12:39 AM
RSbob
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
Are you mainly talking about gas mileage? If so, what similar size 5000 lb 4X4 SUV is exceptionally better?
My '04 S has never gone below 16.7 combined city/highway (and I live for jackrabbit starts). The Olds Bravada I used to own never got more than 15 mpg and that was a 190 hp V6.
A new Ford Explorer turbo V6 is 18 mpg...Durango V8 is 17.6...Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 15.7. Keep in mind these are brand new '19 models that aren't doing much better than a previous generation Cayenne. Also, a new Cayenne GTS is rated higher than any of them at 19.1.
Yup gas mileage. I looked at the govt figures of the Ford Exploder, which granted doesn’t have the same off-road capability of the Cayenne. My Cayenne is rated at 16/20 City/HWY. I am currently getting about 16 mixed but like spirited take-offs.

I know govt figures are debatable. Can’t get the image to upload: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&year1=2018&year2=2019&make=Ford&baseModel=E xplorer&srchtyp=ymm.

But have to acknowledge that a 10+ year old vehicle that gets better MPG than Fiat’s current SUVs is still pretty good. But then they are owned by Fiat. The Ford you quote is shocking which contrasts with the link above. With current software controls, metallurgy and composites one would think 30 MPG Hwy like my brother in-law’s GMC SUV would be readily available.

Thanks for keeping me honest.

Oh and I see the OP has not chimed in. Wondering about his thoughts on this thread.

20 hours to replace an alternator? Did Porsche work with Jaguar (Tata/Ford) on that one? Unbelievable. No wonder I am getting the red carpet treatment. Little do they know.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:36 PM
DMB14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi everyone.

Really appreciate all the thoughtful and detailed replies. I've actually decided to throw a wrench in things and pick up a 2014 VW Touareg. I drove three Cayennes (2 base and an S) and I thought the Touareg compared well overall and I found a very clean example with relatively low miles and an extended service contract for a great price.

It's not a Cayenne GTS and not nearly as quick, but I think it makes sense for me right now and I feel like I can drive it confidently on long trips to remote areas in the Western US without much worry (and not run out of gas).

One day I will be in a P car again...
Old 01-16-2019, 05:22 PM
Vivid7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

here is a 957 Turbo that now has 421k miles as of last year.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:13 PM
cayenne2008
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear your decision. Best wishes
Old 01-16-2019, 09:20 PM
DMB14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cayenne2008
Nothing to be sorry about my friend! I'm getting a great deal on a great car! 🙂

Most users on here probably don't like to acknowledge VW as a great brand and a sibling to Porsche, but I love them both (well, I love the GTI and the Touareg)

another Porsche is in my future and it's either a 911 or Cayenne

Last edited by DMB14; 01-16-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:29 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by cayenne2008

I'm going to disagree with this.

It sounds like you considered all of the factors and decided that a Porsche wasn't the right car for you at this time.

That's called "being smart and making good decisions." The Tourag is a decent car.

Just because owning a Porsche (three actually) is right for me doesn't make it right for everyone. We tend to forget that sometimes.

Far better to get a car that is right for you than to get something 'sexy' that you end up hating.

Glad to see that, even though you decided against getting a GTS, the group was able to help you.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:47 PM
RSbob
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DMB14
Hi everyone.

Really appreciate all the thoughtful and detailed replies. I've actually decided to throw a wrench in things and pick up a 2014 VW Touareg. I drove three Cayennes (2 base and an S) and I thought the Touareg compared well overall and I found a very clean example with relatively low miles and an extended service contract for a great price.

It's not a Cayenne GTS and not nearly as quick, but I think it makes sense for me right now and I feel like I can drive it confidently on long trips to remote areas in the Western US without much worry (and not run out of gas).

One day I will be in a P car again...
z
Congrats on your purchase. May you have many trouble and carefree miles. Thanks for kicking off a lively and informative discussion. Happy trails.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:19 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by TiptonInAustin
I think the general answer is, don't own out of warranty Porsche, Mercedes, BMW unless you LOVE the car. If you love the car, you won't be angry when stuff breaks, you'll be fixing up a loved one. If keeping costs low is a priority, (nothing wrong with that!), we had a Toyota Rav4 we couldn't punish enough. No car washes ever. Oil was the only fluid we ever changed. Ever. Pads, tires, oil, drive.
I agree.

A CPO used vehicle will take the anguish out of ownership, at least until the warrantee expires. Then you are subject to the usual running expenses, which are going to be higher than any other non-Porsche.

If you found the 944 expensive (I've owned at least 5 of them, so I have some experience), an out of warranty Cayenne may not make you much happier in the service department.

I would consider a used Macan or Macan S as an alternative. A track test with the Macan S against the 944 Turbo demonstrated the Macan S slaughtered the 944 Turbo, both in the corners and the straights. Lap times were no contest. You sit higher than the 944, but body roll is almost nil in the Macan and you get the advantage of 53 cubic feet of rear storage (rear seats down) and optional roof racks. The Cayenne has 60.3 cubic feet of rear space, so you are not giving up much overall space with the Macan.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:22 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by DMB14

Nothing to be sorry about my friend! I'm getting a great deal on a great car! 🙂

Most users on here probably don't like to acknowledge VW as a great brand and a sibling to Porsche, but I love them both (well, I love the GTI and the Touareg)

another Porsche is in my future and it's either a 911 or Cayenne
Just saw this. I think you will be happy with your purchase. Best of luck on the skiing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 957 GTS lifespan