Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid changes for a 2005 Cayenne base (V6)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 11:10 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fluid changes for a 2005 Cayenne base (V6)

It looks like I'll be maintaining an 05 Cayenne base with roughly 180k miles on it.

Aside from oil, PS, and brake fluid which I assume are going to be fairly straightforward as with any other car?

I noticed a Youtube instructional video on the trans fluid required it to be filled at a certain temperature which requires two people (on to monitor the temp, the other to top off the fluid). Is this temperature-step really necessary or is it good enough to just fill it until it starts spilling out like any other trans fluid change?
Old 01-04-2019, 03:45 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

I've always had my mechanic take care of the fluids on mine.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:44 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Diffs are straight forward. Standard drain plug and fill plug. As always, pull the fill plug first. The front diff has very little clearance. You will likely need to take a standard "L" allen wrench and cut it down. Porsche says it needs a 'special' (expensive) fluid, but many on here have used G5 gear lube.

T/C is similar, but takes a different fluid. I used the Valvoline synth Mercon LV (red bottle). The spec number is something like 71141. Again, there's a really expensive factory fluid, but this meets the spec.

Trans takes the proper fluid, but it's the same as the Toyota spec. (JWS 3309, Aisin spec) The temp on fill is important. You really should have some sort of scan tool hooked up to read the temp. Or an IR temp gun to shoot the pan. Fill it to overflow at 40C. The fill level is pretty sensitive. Expansion (or contraction) due to heat will change the level.

Quick Reply: Fluid changes for a 2005 Cayenne base (V6)