jeremy@matrix
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Hehe, well done on the livery reveal!
Old 02-06-2019, 11:51 PM
cameron110
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

better than your would think for a $350 auction car but they did arrive with a spare driveshaft on the roof rack and did at least two trail side battery stick welds to fix ball joints and limp out to find replacement parts. They headed strait from this event to King of the Hammers...
Old 02-07-2019, 02:14 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Nice. That must have been entertaining to watch! Sounds like something the Road Kill guys would do, except they would have showed up in a car at least 10 or 20 years older with no hood, the fenders cut out and huge tires.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:12 PM
bigbevo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on 6th place. I hope I didn't ruin any livery reveals you may have planed on Rennlist. Can't wait for more pics and vid!
Old 02-09-2019, 06:34 PM
cameron110
Advanced

A piece of the build we didn't include here before because it was pre-fabbed in LA away from the truck and then installed on the last day was the rear fuel can mount. Race rules stipulated that we carry two spare fuel cans but nothing about the size. By our math considering the stock fuel range we decided we weren't likely to see spare fuel but wanted to have some along just in case. So we put a 5 gal can on the back and then had a 1 gal can for the camp stove fuel that got us through tech as the second fuel can.

It worked great and would have been perfect had I not backed it into the side of a sandy wash gully... That little error bent and loosened the mounts a bit but we were able to re-stabilize it with a strap.

We end up relying on the extra fuel a few times to avoid an extra fuel stop which helped us finish within the time control window a couple days and earn more points.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:24 PM
cameron110
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigbevo
Congrats on 6th place. I hope I didn't ruin any livery reveals you may have planed on Rennlist. Can't wait for more pics and vid!

Not at all, I think it's cool you were looking around the web for more info on the event!
Old 02-09-2019, 08:50 PM
cameron110
Advanced

I'm starting in on the race report here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...cayenne-s.html

If you have any questions or comments about the truck, lets keep them here. If its about the event put them over there.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:28 PM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

I need a good way to carry extra fuel. On our Canada Trip we averaged 8.4mpg (towing) and nearly ran out several times. Twice we had to put 87 in because thats all that was available. Just enough to get to the next town.

When towing I can put fuel cans on the trailer cargo basket but I'd like a clean setup for long trips without a trailer.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:28 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by cameron110
I'm starting in on the race report here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...cayenne-s.html

If you have any questions or comments about the truck, lets keep them here. If its about the event put them over there.
Thanks for posting and congrats. Looks like a fun adventure.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:11 PM
AntonLargiader
AutoX

Originally Posted by Mr. Merk
I need a good way to carry extra fuel... I'd like a clean setup for long trips without a trailer.
This is something I thought about during the trip (I was in the Cayenne with Cameron). The fuel can we used leaked because it was old plastic and it wasn’t really designed for vehicular use. In fact, many of the fuel cans we saw on the cars in the rally were just garage-use cans that were far lighter than ours. Cans that are designed for this use are heavy plastic or metal, or they are true fuel cells. Roto-pax are a bit pricey but they seem to be the standard for overlanding; my understanding is that they are rotomolded (seamless) plastic. Our can split on a seam.

Once you have a stout can you still need to have a good place for it and this is where I’m a bit conflicted. The roof rack is shaped really well for carrying any kind of fuel can but I’m not wild about carrying fuel on the roof. Roto-pax has a special mounting stud and many people carried them vertically just supported by the stud. If you are comfortable with this, you could probably fashion such a carrier on the back of the car. Otherwise, it’s probably the roof rack. I don’t think anyone wants gas cans in the cabin.

if you want to get crazy you could probably plumb a fuel cell in the spare tire well (if you aren’t using it, like we weren’t) or on the roof. Drain it to the main tank as soon as there’s room.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:00 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Merk
I need a good way to carry extra fuel. On our Canada Trip we averaged 8.4mpg (towing) and nearly ran out several times. Twice we had to put 87 in because thats all that was available. Just enough to get to the next town.

When towing I can put fuel cans on the trailer cargo basket but I'd like a clean setup for long trips without a trailer.
For maximum range, a hitch mounted basket with one of these would hold 50 or 60 gallons without being a problem. You can get receiver adapters to mount it much higher if clearance is a concern.
http://atlinc.com/rangeextender.html
Old 02-12-2019, 01:25 AM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AntonLargiader

This is something I thought about during the trip (I was in the Cayenne with Cameron). The fuel can we used leaked because it was old plastic and it wasn’t really designed for vehicular use. In fact, many of the fuel cans we saw on the cars in the rally were just garage-use cans that were far lighter than ours. Cans that are designed for this use are heavy plastic or metal, or they are true fuel cells. Roto-pax are a bit pricey but they seem to be the standard for overlanding; my understanding is that they are rotomolded (seamless) plastic. Our can split on a seam.

Once you have a stout can you still need to have a good place for it and this is where I’m a bit conflicted. The roof rack is shaped really well for carrying any kind of fuel can but I’m not wild about carrying fuel on the roof. Roto-pax has a special mounting stud and many people carried them vertically just supported by the stud. If you are comfortable with this, you could probably fashion such a carrier on the back of the car. Otherwise, it’s probably the roof rack. I don’t think anyone wants gas cans in the cabin.

if you want to get crazy you could probably plumb a fuel cell in the spare tire well (if you aren’t using it, like we weren’t) or on the roof. Drain it to the main tank as soon as there’s room.
Rotopax can lay flat in the roof basket as well. Lots of ways to mount them and they're stout!

Originally Posted by nodoors
For maximum range, a hitch mounted basket with one of these would hold 50 or 60 gallons without being a problem. You can get receiver adapters to mount it much higher if clearance is a concern.
http://atlinc.com/rangeextender.html
I'd be concerned about how well 350-400lbs bouncing around on the hitch in an event like this would do in the long run, without some sort of bracing/gusseting to the flanks of the Cayenne....especially if the weight was higher than bumper level.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:06 AM
AntonLargiader
AutoX

Obviously this all depends on how much fuel you need. When I was touring up there about 15 years ago, the longest stretch I encountered without fuel was - I think - Dawson City to Eagle Plains, 230 miles. At 8.4 MPG that needs only 27.5 gallons, just over the 26 that the 995 holds. Rotopax are available in several sizes so there are multiple ways to get another 2~10 gallons. Assuming you only get the low MPG when you are trailering, I personally would put the fuel on/in the trailer especially if it was more than about 5 gallons.

I've been thinking more about where to carry it since I wrote the previous post. Carrying gasoline is a safety issue. Carrying a lot of it on the back of the car exposes you to some risk. That beat-up uninsured 40 year-old pickup that rear-ends you at a light, enveloping your car in gasoline mist, is probably a pretty good ignition source also. Your car (as long as it isn't a Pinto) is designed to minimize this risk, but using gasoline bags as a rear crumple zone sure takes you away from the safety that Porsche designed in. The roof is probably pretty safe, although a rollover will likely have you sitting in a puddle of gasoline. From a safety point of view, inside the cabin is probably actually the best as long as it's a strong container that isn't going to be punctured by the other contents of the car in a crash.

In the rally, we wanted to minimize the weight on the roof, since we were going to be loaded up pretty heavily anyway. We were probably overcautious about that, and could have put a Rotopax or a fuel cell up there with no ill effect. In any case, we usually transferred the extra fuel into the main tank at the first opportunity and only carried extra fuel on a few days.

There is probably a LOT more written about this subject over on Expedition Portal. There's even a thread about overlanding Cayennes.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:48 AM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

I got to thinking......Most everything we bought for our towing purposes are transferable between vehicles (trailer camera, towing mirrors, wireless brake controller, weight distribution/anti-sway hitch etc.) If I continued with this trend a Wilco spare tire carrier with jerry can or rotopax mounts would fit the bill when not towing. They do advertise maintaining towing capacity up to 7500lbs but I think it would put us over on the tongue weight and block the backup camera on the Cayenne which is useful when hooking up.

I don't really need a spare tire carrier on my GMC or a way to haul fuel (the bed works great, lol) but it could be used on other vehicles in the future and would allow use of a full size spare on the Cayenne.

On another somewhat related subject. Our cayenne doesn't have roof rails but has the tracks.....I wonder if adding T bolts would be sufficient to mount MaxTrax or even Rotopax straight to the tracks in the roof.

Quick Reply: Cayenne for the 2019 Baja XL Rally