Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally achieved a stance I like -- using Links

Old 12-23-2018, 05:44 PM
TCZ
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Finally achieved a stance I like -- using Links

I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but l'm a guy that never thinks a vehicle looks right until it has been lowered. Every vehicle I have owned has been lowered (from chopped coils, to lowering springs, to the Bilstein coilovers on my 997 Carrera S).

The massive wheel well gaps on the Cayenne have always bothered me. I initially lowered it 25 mm with the Durametric but it wasn't enough for my taste. I liked how it looked in Load Mode but still thought it looked too high in Low Mode (which is the height I drive it at). I decided to try lowering links because I like that you can tweak them to get the exact stance you want. Had them installed yesterday.

I have it set so that it is pretty slammed in Load Mode and then comes up about 1" in the rear and 1 1/4" in the front in Low Mode. For me the ride is a bit firmer, but I do not find it too bouncy. I was worried about this as I know it has been the experience of others. I do think I am likely at the limit though -- any lower it would probably be too rough.

Tires are 285-35-22 which are 0.8" taller than the 295-35-21 stockers so that also helps fill the wheel wells.

Alignment is next!

Load Mode (1)

Low Mode (1)

Load Mode (2)

Low Mode (2)
Old 12-23-2018, 10:44 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

yea too bouncy for me. I lowered with links about 30mm or so. It wasn't too bad in normal mode but as you know automatically lowers 77 or whatever + miles. It gets way too bouncy.
I'm about 10-15mm lower than stock and it's the rides ok
Old 12-23-2018, 10:47 PM
TCZ
Instructor

Ya. I may be in the honeymoon phase since I finally having it looking right to me eye. Time will tell!
Old 12-23-2018, 10:51 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Yea I loved the look. Driving on the highway took the fun out of it as it was a roller coaster. Hated the drive....loved the look....after a month raise it
Old 12-23-2018, 11:25 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Take a look at the cv angles when your that low!
Old 12-24-2018, 09:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,137 Likes on 3,910 Posts

It does look good - I actually think the look is better in Low vs loading mode.

Have you done any type of articulation test in low mode by loading the suspension with the front wheels turned, like would happen in a higher speed turn with a dip or bump in the middle. I'd be worried about the tire being driven up into the fender lip after taking more than 1" of clearance away. It's one of the reasons I didn't lower mine after installing the widebody kit and extending the wheels and tires out beyond the factory fenders.

I'm running 315/30-22 tires on 22x12 wheels.wirh an et50 and then 25mm spacers so the outer edge of my wheel/tire setup is 2" further out than the OEM 21" wheels were.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:15 AM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice Panamera you have there! Yeah, I know "wheel gap kills" and "4x4 status".

But on a serious note, Petza makes a great point on articulation and rubbing or worse tire fender clearance issues.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:52 PM
TCZ
Instructor

No rubbing so far but I will test. It is pretty firm so I don't think it will be an issue. I will have my alignment guy take a look at all of the other suspension parts to make sure nothing is under too much stress.
The best part about this mod is that it is super cheap and it only takes about 5 min per side to adjust height. I can go back up if I need to.

Last edited by TCZ; 12-24-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:02 PM
playskool1
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the length you used on your links compared to the stock links? When I first got my links, I installed them how I received them, at the longest length. LOL holy cow that was a rough bouncy ride even when in comfort or normal mode. I did some research and adjusted them to be 5mm longer than stock (front and rear) links. Rides much better with a subtle lower drop. I really like how you set yours up OP!
Old 12-26-2018, 07:03 PM
TCZ
Instructor

I had someone install them for me and I never actually compared the links to stock length. I know they are not set at maximum length, though. After the initial install, I have tinkered a bit by giving them a turn or 2 making them longer or shorter. I settled on how it sits in the pics. I like the slight rake it has. I can always bring the front up a touch if needed.
Putting it in Normal Mode brings it up another 1/2" or so front and rear.
*I would say it rides like any lowered car now, as opposed to a luxury SUV--which I can live with in exchange for having it look the way I like it
Old 01-07-2019, 01:41 PM
ReducedSpeedAhd
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, going back... would you do this kit again? I just bought a set and am apprehensive about using it. I've lowered every car I had, so I don't mind the ride...

My concern is broken suspension parts.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:53 PM
TCZ
Instructor

So far so good. Happy to finally get it sitting how I like it.
More stress on suspension parts is always a concern when lowering, but too early to tell.
I would do it again in a heart beat.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:40 PM
ReducedSpeedAhd
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TCZ
So far so good. Happy to finally get it sitting how I like it.
More stress on suspension parts is always a concern when lowering, but too early to tell.
I would do it again in a heart beat.

Any tips on setting it up?
Old 01-07-2019, 03:04 PM
TCZ
Instructor

To be honest, I had a guy install them and then did a bit of tinkering after so am not sure what the starting point was. I think many start with making the links 5mm longer than stock.
The longer you make the link, the lower you go.

In terms of actual vehicle measurements, I have mine set up in the lowest driving mode at 36" from the ground to the top of the fender arch in the rear and 35 1/4" in the front.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:23 PM
Jd_gts
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i mean it looks great, but, I think drivability and longevity will both suffer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally achieved a stance I like -- using Links