Sponsored by:

switching steering wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 11:59 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default switching steering wheels

Has anyone changed out a wood steering wheel for a dealer installed heated, leather wheel. If so, was it big project?
Old 01-30-2004, 01:18 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer says that you will not be able to reinstate the heating aspect of the leather wheel - the car is simply not wired for it, since it was not ordered with it.

I went through this discussion when the CT I selected was equipped with the wooden wheel, and I was sure I wanted leather.

I've since changed my mind, and now think the wooden wheel is cool.

Unfortunately, I am in "auto limbo" at the moment, my Lexus GS having been stolen last week by the prospective buyer who came over to "check it out," which he apparently did. Hasn't been seen since.

Been driving my wife's RX300 while waiting to see what happens in the next thirty days. Pretty impressive in the snow with Dueler all-seasons.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:41 PM
DanP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was changed by the dealer, but I can't comment on the heating aspect since it would never trigger where I live...
Old 01-30-2004, 06:15 PM
dfar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my heated wheel altough at first I though tit was a gimmick. I don't believe you can change the wood whell to a lether heated wheel as the wiring is not there. I assume they would have to wire and tap into the outside temp sending unit to amke it work. Sounds expensive.

K2Kv, the guy wanted to test drive your car and never came back? He must of looked like someone you could trust I guess.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:31 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by dfar
I assume they would have to wire and tap into the outside temp sending unit to amke it work. Sounds expensive.
I assume it works like a bmw's and you just press the button to help warm those fingers, a great feature in my mom's X5, it's not auto with the temp outside.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:51 AM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about the heated steering wheel.

It seems to come on automatically, based on inside temp. Is it supposed to come on at 58 degrees, or there abouts, and go off at 68? Mine seems to be inconsistant w/ the "on" setting.

Does anyone recall the on/off settings so I can check?

Thanks,

Craig
Old 01-31-2004, 09:42 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

The steering wheel is heated when the interior temp is below 12°C/54°F.
It is switched off when the interior temp is more than 22°C/72°F.

When you select an interior temp of only 20°C/68°F, the heating of the steering wheel should stay on all the time.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:31 AM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dfar,

The guy was friendly, nice-looking (looked like a hockey player), arrived with another Lexus! He even came into my home while we waited for my wife to return from work. He took off his jacket, we chatted for awhile, and then my wife arrived, and we went out to the garage.

I backed the car out of the garage and drove it down to the end of my driveway. Then we switched seats and he was now behind the wheel. At that point, I remembered that my wallet/registration was in the house so we backed up to the garage, and I went inside - for less than a minute. As I came back outside I got to see My car zoom off and away.

Pretty scary, huh? Glad I forgot my wallet!
Old 01-31-2004, 03:43 PM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Gert,

Thanks for the input. I'll see what happens when I set the in the interior lower than 72 (current seeting).

Craig

Quick Reply: switching steering wheels