Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tranny installed in the pig but now it wont shift??

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 06:08 PM
emsbeats
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tranny installed in the pig but now it wont shift??

Hello. I have a 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. The tranny needed to be replaced so I sourced one from a running wrecked 2005 Cayenne Turbo S. The install is finished and the car cranks and the shifter shifts but the car wont move into gear. There is a fault (17105 Input shaft speed inductive pickup implausable signal) Was told by my mechanic and the place I purchased the Trans from and they said its most likely due to the Cayenne needing to be programmed for the new trans. I had the pig towed to the stealership here in North Atlanta (Hennessy Porsche) and they did the programming. After coming to pickup my cayenne I was told that it was still doing the same thing and not shifting into a gear even after being reprogrammed. Im 3k deep in repairs and now im afraid the transmission i just bought will have to be opened up for a sensor. The salvage yard showed me a video of the donor car running before being disassembled and inventoried. Anybody Ever heard of this or have this problem?? They said they should know something in the morning but i just dont want to get buttraped. Is it possible the TCU is incompatible with my Cayenne??? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:38 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Welcome to the forum. That's quite a first posting...

Did the salvage yard show the wrecked vehicle moving, or just the engine running?

This is a case where some Porsche specific diagnostics is going to be needed.. signals have to be watched and checked. What was the problem with the old transmission that inspired you to replace it?
Old 11-23-2018, 05:53 AM
emsbeats
3rd Gear

@deilenberger Yes they showed the vehicle moving, but now it wont engage. Porsche wanted to drop the transmission just to diagnose, so I cancelled the diagnostic fearing a $1000 bill and no guaranteed fix. Has this happened to anyone? Someone please help.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:25 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

That is a hall type inductive sensor and can be tested @ the harness that plugs into the trans or anywhere between there and the TCU with a standard multimeter. No need to take anything apart. Never go back to that dealer. Either the sensor is there and outputting a signal or not. This is where the process starts.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:57 AM
emsbeats
3rd Gear

Thanks @j’sworld. Yea the shop foreman or whoever he was told my service advisor and me that I probably purchased a bad trans or my mechanic broke the pump in the trans. All of which I highly doubt, and the way he was talking to me as if I didn’t have a clue about what was going on really made me feel like my business wasn’t appreciated or I was getting suckered. But you live and you learn.
Do I need a multimeter to test it? I ordered the TCU that came out of the donor car and it should be here Monday. I’m getting it towed to my house today and starting the prep to remove the old TCU. If that doesn’t work I’m having it towed to another Porsche dealership here in Atlanta (Jim Ellis Porsche of perimeter) but let’s cross fingers. I’ve been looking at Touareg forums bc I know they use a version of the Aisin 09D trans but I haven’t really been able to find anybody’s scenario that’s spot on with mine. Anybody?????

Quick Reply: New tranny installed in the pig but now it wont shift??