Oil drip ... safe to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 02:10 PM
DUTCH8
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil drip ... safe to drive?

2007 Cayenne-S with 120k KM.

Noticed 2-3 drops on garage floor overnight, passenger side, front. Inspecting underneath, there was a drop sticking in the circled area with soaking (pic is from internet, circled by me, I could not get a good enough shot). It is black oily fluid.

I plan to take to the garage tomorrow, wondering if it is safe enough to drive the 50km to dealer.

Any pointers will be helpful.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:39 PM
OYM
Intermediate

Yeah as long as the levels are fine and its not pissing out all over the place then crack on and drive it
Old 11-18-2018, 05:27 PM
DUTCH8
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by OYM
Yeah as long as the levels are fine and its not pissing out all over the place then crack on and drive it
Thanks.

Any pointers if this is minor or major issue? or likely causes?
Old 11-18-2018, 06:04 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

2-3 drops of oil?! What kind of paradise do you live in, because I want to go there?

Here in California, BTW, here's what we're dealing with right now ... invading hordes of thousands massing at our southern border, while mobs of anarchists are battling with mobs of slightly less radical anarchichal liberals to see who will invite the invasion in first; we've got the highest tax rates in the free world; and oh yeah, right now due to the wildfires we've got air quality worse than anywhere else in the world, yes, including Beijing! So if had 2-3 drops of oil coming out of my car overnight, I'd be happy with that.

OK, a little more seriously, such a small amount of oil would certainly not be a problem for a drive to your mechanic like you ask. Based on the location, it could be power steering fluid, but tracing to the source is something a mechanic should be able to do pretty easily. Good luck, and congrats on everything else.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:29 AM
DUTCH8
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by oldskewel
2-3 drops of oil?! What kind of paradise do you live in, because I want to go there?

Here in California, BTW, here's what we're dealing with right now ... invading hordes of thousands massing at our southern border, while mobs of anarchists are battling with mobs of slightly less radical anarchichal liberals to see who will invite the invasion in first; we've got the highest tax rates in the free world; and oh yeah, right now due to the wildfires we've got air quality worse than anywhere else in the world, yes, including Beijing! So if had 2-3 drops of oil coming out of my car overnight, I'd be happy with that.

OK, a little more seriously, such a small amount of oil would certainly not be a problem for a drive to your mechanic like you ask. Based on the location, it could be power steering fluid, but tracing to the source is something a mechanic should be able to do pretty easily. Good luck, and congrats on everything else.
You certainly made my day and put me in place (btw, I live in Switzerland). Thanks for the pointer and good luck back to you for all the life changing events going on there.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:08 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Glad it helped. And yes, Switzerland is nice. I went on a tour through Europe about 25 years ago and that was probably my favorite place. I still remember staying an an old hotel there, and marveling at the amazing workmanship and perfection in every mechanical hinge, handle, etc. Cool.

Quick Reply: Oil drip ... safe to drive?