Sponsored by:

Chassis system faulty

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 10:14 PM
BauerR
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Chassis system faulty

Everything seems to be functioning normally. Suspension raises and lowers evenly.

Thoughts?

2008 Turbo with 56k
Old 11-18-2018, 09:05 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Does your Cayenne have PDCC? The chassis system fault is usually related to either the air system leveling or the hydraulic system if you have PDCC. Most of the time it's a slow air leak in the air system that causes the compressor to run longer than it should, usually at the compressor and I believe there are seal rebuild kits available for it. I've seen ads from a company called Arnott (sp?) that seems to have replacement components for these systems.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:49 AM
BauerR
Pro

Originally Posted by Petza914
Does your Cayenne have PDCC? The chassis system fault is usually related to either the air system leveling or the hydraulic system if you have PDCC. Most of the time it's a slow air leak in the air system that causes the compressor to run longer than it should, usually at the compressor and I believe there are seal rebuild kits available for it. I've seen ads from a company called Arnott (sp?) that seems to have replacement components for these systems.
Thanks for the reply
I do have it.
I'm thinking about throethrin a new battery. I've been doing some research and it would seem these things act funny when a battery gets weak. The fault code happens immediately after start-up.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

True. One of the best ways to check the battery is to open the rear liftgate a few times in a row. If it stops moving part of the way up, that's a good sign your battery is weak. This will happen even if it has enough juice to start the car.

Check the fluid in the PDCC reservoir. It's right next to the power steering one. Both use Pentosin fluid (either CHF 11 or CHF 22) and they're cross compatible. My O'Reilly carries one of them but don't add regular PS fluid.

When the message first appeared did you hear any sort of a pop sound just prior. The original PDCC lines were braided stainless but without any type of protective costing on them, just rubber bumpers to keep them away from stuff. Replacement lines are coated. If they rub on anything, the stainless will abrade and the line will fail, causing a chassis fault error.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:44 PM
BauerR
Pro

Thanks for the help but I made a mistake. I do not have pdcc. While I was in there though I did notice my power steering reservoir was low on fluid but I doubt that would trigger the same code
Old 11-19-2018, 05:18 AM
kadn33
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BauerR
Thanks for the help but I made a mistake. I do not have pdcc. While I was in there though I did notice my power steering reservoir was low on fluid but I doubt that would trigger the same code
Mine never threw any code while low on power steering fluid if it helps.
I would suggest to check with a code reader what is going on, even VCDS would do in the Air Suspension module, in case there is a bad sensor. Since the car lowers and raises fine I understand we can eliminate an air leak as the fault but I would have a look at all the lines and the compressor anyway.
Best luck on your search and keep us posted.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:23 PM
BauerR
Pro

I got a 00140 "Right Front Body Acceleration Sensor(G342) Open Circuit/Short With Ground."

Ordered a new sensor and waiting for it to arrive. I also installed a new battery.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:43 PM
cayenne2008
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For others that this happens to.

I got this error: Chassis System Warning
After months of not caring and having my Indy look it over(with no luck)
I checked the fluid and it was low. Topped it off with CHF22 and life is all better
Old 11-26-2018, 03:35 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cayenne2008
For others that this happens to.

I got this error: Chassis System Warning
After months of not caring and having my Indy look it over(with no luck)
I checked the fluid and it was low. Topped it off with CHF22 and life is all better
Good deal. I assume you mean the PDCC fluid and not the power steering, correct? If so, that level shouldn't really change, so you might need to look at the braided hoses, pump, and fittings for a slow leak.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:07 PM
cayenne2008
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Good deal. I assume you mean the PDCC fluid and not the power steering, correct? If so, that level shouldn't really change, so you might need to look at the braided hoses, pump, and fittings for a slow leak.
PDCC fluid. This cayenne is new to me. I am at the point of keeping my eye on things. 10 years old. Don't know if the PDCC reservoir was ever serviced. Now that i have topped it off, i will monitor it. It's winter and i don't feel like removing the under plastics to check the hoses, but i've read up on that issue and will be prepared if i hear the "pop"
Old 12-22-2018, 05:58 PM
JakeSwe
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, another question. I'm trying to get my compressor replaced, since I frequently get the yellow Chassis system faulty code on my 2009 CTTS. I bought a compressor from ebay and it is advertised as working for Q7 / Touareg / Cayenne, but my indy now reports that he cannot fit the new compressor since it's missing one connection: a threaded hole which exists on the old OEM compressor is plugged and threadless on the new one. I'm confused.

Question: does anybody know the OEM number for the air suspension compressor on a 2009 Turbo S? Need it to facilitate discussions with the vendor of the new compressor.

Old OEM compressor.

(To moderators: I tried to post a new thread about this two days ago but it hasn't appeared - I guess it's cause I'm a newbie here. Pls throw it away if you find it floating around somewhere waiting to be approved.)
Old 12-23-2018, 10:38 AM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by BauerR
Everything seems to be functioning normally. Suspension raises and lowers evenly.

Thoughts?

2008 Turbo with 56k
I just had a battery go dead on my 2008 Cayenne Turbo. I bought an AGM replacement battery but ended up not needing it (and returned it) after getting the car jumped off my Suburban and driving the hell out of it all day yesterday.

Here are the fault codes that immediately came up AFTER I jumped the car (the battery was pretty much drained to zero):

+ Chassis Warning Fault
+ Headlight Fault

Both the chassis system ( I have PDCC also) and lights were fine. I changed modes and everything adjusted just fine. Just faults that appeared after a dead battery.
After driving all day and getting the battery back up to operating condition, both faults went away after the 2nd or 3d restart.

Hope this helps. I suspect it is a battery related issue given your fact pattern.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:48 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

chassis warning fault light......first thing to check is battery
low on juice it seems to trigger this for some reason.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:04 PM
JakeSwe
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my case a new battery didn't help, unfortunately. Message appears from time to time, but often when driving over a pothole.

So, still hoping for the OEM number for the compressor as a Christmas present - who might have it?
Old 12-26-2018, 05:34 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeSwe
In my case a new battery didn't help, unfortunately. Message appears from time to time, but often when driving over a pothole.

So, still hoping for the OEM number for the compressor as a Christmas present - who might have it?
Sorry to hear a new battery didn't do the trick.

It reminds me of what my orthopedic surgeon said when looking at my left knee: "Start with changing out your old running shoes and then things get more involved/expensive from there". Same deal.

Let us know what you find out.

Quick Reply: Chassis system faulty