Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HIRIOT Android 8.0 PX5 8 Core review

Old 01-11-2019, 09:31 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's the video of my audio problem, I made it for the seller on Aliexpress.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:58 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

So when it went the whole trip without cutting out, that was with the MOST adaptor powered off the CAN BUS lines? If you made the video, I assume it later cut out again and the problem is not gone. Things I noticed in the video; I never use the media button on the wheel to flip between programs - the stock apps are not so great, and when I tried them I did notice the HU seemed to not handle the shifting between apps so well. Sound would take a second to lock up with the new mode, but would never cut out though. Also when you said a relay is clicking, was the car off at the time? That definitely should not be happening if it is on. You could test if it is the head unit reset or the adaptor reset that makes it work again after being off for a while by holding the reset button in for like 10 seconds (until the amp makes a sound) while the engine is running. That should only reset the HU, telling if the problem is there.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:43 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

This was with the MOST Decoder ACC line connected again to the AMP-CON line on the audio connector of the Hiriot... It wouldn't work connected to the yellow on the CAN-BUS Decoder, and I haven't tried to rewire it to a switched fuse location yet.
I don't plan on shifting inputs via that button on the wheel, that was just for the video to show that the CAN-BUS link was working.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:40 AM
pvanosta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My PCM looks like this, so which is the GPS connection and what connector do I need on the adapter? (the new unit is installed and my GPS signal to the new antenna is weak, so I want to connect the new unit to the OEM GPS antenna and want to know if it is doable before I start breaking stuff )

Old 01-14-2019, 09:44 AM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That looks like a PCM2.1 unit, and I am pretty sure the factory GPS antenna connects at the NAV unit under the passenger seat.
NAV info is sent to the head unit via the optical link.
I believe the green connector at upper right is video in (for back-up camera). The two at left are the dual radio antenna connections.
The supplied GPS antenna works quite well on my Android unit, GPS likes line of sight to the sky, so any location such as under the center dash grille, or under the dash is not going to give good results.
See post #61 above for some info.

Last edited by AJ88CAB; 01-14-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:18 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by pvanosta
My PCM looks like this, so which is the GPS connection and what connector do I need on the adapter? (the new unit is installed and my GPS signal to the new antenna is weak, so I want to connect the new unit to the OEM GPS antenna and want to know if it is doable before I start breaking stuff )

I believe the GPS antenna input is the green FAKRA in the upper right corner of the photo.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:28 AM
pvanosta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@AJ88CAB : assuming you are correct, does that mean I would need to run a cable from the back of the android to the NAV unit under the seat and connect to the OEM GPS antenna under the passenger seat?

I understand GPS antenna's like line of sight. My installer put mine inside the A pillar unfortunately. Nice and clean. And useless
Old 01-14-2019, 10:40 AM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

I had the same PCM2.1 factory head unit, and when I changed it out with the Android unit, there was nothing connected to the green connector, but the system did have navigation.
That doesn't mean it isn't an input for a GPS antenna, it was just not connected on my factory unit.
I used the info I read in this thread to base my comment that the green connector is a video input.
https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi.../?_fromLogin=1

i could be wrong about the green connector, it certainly wouldn't be the first time I was wrong
But in any case I am pretty sure the factory GPS antenna connection is at the NAV unit, not the head unit.

EDIT:
OK...after reviewing the factory manual & diagrams...I am now thinking the green connector may be for a factory telephone.
Should have done that first...

Last edited by AJ88CAB; 01-14-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:45 AM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pvanosta
@AJ88CAB : assuming you are correct, does that mean I would need to run a cable from the back of the android to the NAV unit under the seat and connect to the OEM GPS antenna under the passenger seat?

I understand GPS antenna's like line of sight. My installer put mine inside the A pillar unfortunately. Nice and clean. And useless
Can you move the installed antenna so it is not concealed in the A-pillar? Maybe run it along the base of the windshield?
I don't have any experience as to whether connecting to the factory GPS antenna would work or if it is feasible. Seems like it should work, but the electronics on these cars can be odd.
Sounds like you would be blazing new territory for all of us if you went ahead and gave it a try
Old 01-14-2019, 12:27 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

What are you supposed to do with the blue wire on the dual fakra to DIN adapter like this? Connect to power, ground, or ignore?

Old 01-14-2019, 02:08 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

The blue wire is power for the cylindrical amp on the connector.
There should be a blue wire on the HU harness marked "ANT" that it connects to.
It may not require 12v, possibly 5v, so it should not be connected directly to the cars 12v power.

EDIT:
After further review, the call is overturned...
Based on a review of the specs for the adapter, it would appear it does take 12v, so theoretically the blue wire could be connected to any ACC switched 12v car source.
However, the HU harness should have a blue wire (ANT) to connect to, and I would use that.
No sense introducing possible interference or ground loops by using another power source.

Last edited by AJ88CAB; 01-15-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:51 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2019, 03:25 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

I connected it to ANT, my radio reception is working well with the dual Fakra connector.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:21 PM
evilcorgi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Acc and ground

Where did you run the “Acc” and ground for your wireless backup camera receiver??

and where did you ground the transmitter to?
Old 01-26-2019, 10:28 PM
Zakowsky
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

For the wireless receiver I took the power from the same points that I powered the MOST adapter from, so the ACC line to the CAN BUS box and the main ground line to the HU. But some posts above have great suggestions for ACC sources that I might change this to in the future. For the transmitter I just used the two wires to the light bulb it replaces for power, so I didn't ground it to the frame or anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HIRIOT Android 8.0 PX5 8 Core review