Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HIRIOT Android 8.0 PX5 8 Core review

Old 01-03-2019, 06:29 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

When I was installing my android unit, I discovered a GPS signal app already installed. So I tried a couple locations for the GPS receiver. I was going to put the GPS receiver under the center grille. The signal was strongest there when the receiver was in the bottom middle of the recess, the shape of the recess acts like a dish I think, but I discovered significant loss of signal strength when the metal grill was put in place. I ended up running the wire out the front edge of the grille (about 2"-3") and used the adhesive to attach it to the dash at the base of the windshield. I didn't have to cut the dash or modify the grille to get the wire routed, the grille just snapped in place with the wire run under the edge of it. I have not had any GPS signal issues, it locks quickly and stays...

If you don't have a GPS app pre-installed, just load one from the Google Store to test the signal.

Last edited by AJ88CAB; 01-04-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:35 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by natty
If it's that easy, wonder why everyone is messing with the secondary antenna routing??
I just tried the above Fakra to SMA connector to connect the car's GPS antenna to the head unit, and it worked instantly, even in my garage. I also tried the dual fakra radio antenna connector mentioned above and that worked great.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:45 PM
natty
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VulcanGrey
I just tried the above Fakra to SMA connector to connect the car's GPS antenna to the head unit, and it worked instantly, even in my garage. I also tried the dual fakra radio antenna connector mentioned above and that worked great.
Very nice! I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an android unit. Gotta get the fuel pumps changed out first and it will be next on the project list

So, the list as I see it so far:
Android unit
Most adapter
Wireless backup cam
GPS adapter
Dual antenna adapter

Anything else?
Old 01-05-2019, 10:10 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

I also thought the bluetooth was a little weak, so I bought a SMS male to female extension cable, so I could move the bluetooth antenna closer to the glovebox.
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-05-2019, 10:13 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

It looks like my audio was cutting out due to some bad splices that I did to connect the MOST decoder to BAT+, GND, and ACC. I'm fixing those now.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:16 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

BTW, forgot to mention that the GPS signal (checking with the included app) was MUCH better using the Porsche built in antenna and connecting it to the headunit via the above Fakra to SMA male connector. The signal was weak using the included gps antenna stuck under the dash.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:15 AM
pvanosta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, forgot to mention that the GPS signal (checking with the included app) was MUCH better using the Porsche built in antenna and connecting it to the headunit via the above Fakra to SMA male connector. The signal was weak using the included gps antenna stuck under the dash.
Vulcangrey, I have a question specifically on that topic. Can you elaborate a little bit on exactly how you repurposed the stock GPS antenna for the new android unit?

Is is ONLY the short Fakra Male to SMA Male cable which you inserted between the new head unit and whatever GPS connector terminated behind the dash for the old head unit or did you need to run a cable from behind the head unit to somewhere underneath the passenger seat to make the connection?

I ask because I have a new android head unit in my 957 CTT and the installer saw fit to install a new GPS antenna inside the passenger side A-pillar, which yields a very poor signal and constant loss of GPS signal.
I would love to be able to reconnect the old GPS antenna instead and am looking for detailed 'howto' steps or any info you can provide to confirm the above.

Thanks and happy New year.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:17 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

You da man! That's good intel. I'll be retrofitting my with the Fakra to SMA connector as I sometimes get a delay in GPS location lock.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:58 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Originally Posted by pvanosta
Vulcangrey, I have a question specifically on that topic. Can you elaborate a little bit on exactly how you repurposed the stock GPS antenna for the new android unit?

Is is ONLY the short Fakra Male to SMA Male cable which you inserted between the new head unit and whatever GPS connector terminated behind the dash for the old head unit or did you need to run a cable from behind the head unit to somewhere underneath the passenger seat to make the connection?

I ask because I have a new android head unit in my 957 CTT and the installer saw fit to install a new GPS antenna inside the passenger side A-pillar, which yields a very poor signal and constant loss of GPS signal.
I would love to be able to reconnect the old GPS antenna instead and am looking for detailed 'howto' steps or any info you can provide to confirm the above.

Thanks and happy New year.
Mine is a 955 2004 CTT, so it had PCM 2.0 with the CDROM Navigation. There were 3 male FAKRA connectors (Yellow, light blue, and dark blue). The dark blue one is the GPS, so I connected that to the GPC female SMA connector on the back of the Hiriot head unit via this cable.
Amazon Amazon
My head unit looks something like this on the back.
You can see 2 gold female SMA connectors (one for GPS and one for bluetooth)

So if your head unit has an SMA female for the GPS, and if your car has the built in GPS antenna with a FAKRA female plug, then the connector is all you need.

I also bought this for the radio, worked well.
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-07-2019, 02:52 AM
pvanosta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for that.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:11 AM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you try the wifi+bluetooth dongle?

I installed my Hiriot 9" android 8.0 this weekend. It was working fine, though the GPS signal jumps around a lot (I installed it under the dash... need to move it to the grill area) and the bluetooth has quit twice on long drives to and from the mountains. I'm not able to get bluetooth to reconnect until after the car is turned off.
Didn't try the dongle yet it'll be a few weeks before I'm home.

Long-term observation leads me to believe the wifi and Bluetooth chip in some units does not work while cold and then starts working when car is warmed up or outdoor temperature high enough but restarting the unit (and thus restarting the car) is always needed.

My planned workaround on that cayenne is to wire a power switch between ACC and android power harness. I will locate the switch in glovebox or in center console or in plastic cover beneath steering wheel so that after driving ~10 minutes or whatever on a cold day I can power cycle the head unit and get Bluetooth and wifi working.

On the Cayenne I have with me now with same chipset there are zero Bluetooth / wifi issues.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:15 AM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Mine is a 955 2004 CTT, so it had PCM 2.0 with the CDROM Navigation. There were 3 male FAKRA connectors (Yellow, light blue, and dark blue). The dark blue one is the GPS, so I connected that to the GPC female SMA connector on the back of the Hiriot head unit via this cable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So if your head unit has an SMA female for the GPS, and if your car has the built in GPS antenna with a FAKRA female plug, then the connector is all you need.
Very interesting that you had GPS fakra already wired to the head unit. First time I've heard that. Maybe I'll go exploring under passenger seat for mine
Old 01-07-2019, 08:53 AM
natty
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan H
Very interesting that you had GPS fakra already wired to the head unit. First time I've heard that. Maybe I'll go exploring under passenger seat for mine
if your old PCM has GPS, how could an antenna lead not be present at the head unit? Where would it get its signal?
Old 01-07-2019, 10:26 AM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by natty
if your old PCM has GPS, how could an antenna lead not be present at the head unit? Where would it get its signal?
Now I'm wondering if I didn't really have GPS. That or I plugged my GPS fakra into the radio connection... I'll have to double back.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:28 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jonathan H
Here's what my PCM 2.0 had

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...a-connections/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HIRIOT Android 8.0 PX5 8 Core review