Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keys - Let's see if I got this straight...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 04:51 PM
Chile_Pepper
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keys - Let's see if I got this straight...

Hi all. New to the forums, having bought an '04 S last month. It came with one key, with the guts in an aftermarket fob case that was duct-taped together, so now I'm looking at getting two new keys made - one for me, and one for the wife. We're going to keep the craptastic key as a spare.

There's a lot of information out there, but let's see if I've got the gist of it. From my understanding whoever is doing the programming needs physical access to the car (or at least the Kessy module), along with all the keys.

1. Obvious solution, and probably the best, but priciest - order new keys from Porsche dealership. They'll arrive at my dealer pre-cut to my pepper's VIN, and the dealer will then program the car for both new keys and the old key.

2. Obtain a new aftermarket key fob with blank key blade, and do the following:

2a. Find a local locksmith willing to cut the harder metal of an aftermarket blade. Be prepared to buy him new cutting heads.
2b. Have the programming done by:
  • Finding a local shop with access to PIWIS, or
  • Mailing the keys along with the underdash Kessy module to any one of several 'smiths who advertise this service online, or
  • Taking a chance on one of those third-party software packages that claim to be able to do this.
Is this pretty much it, or am I off base here somewhere? I don't currently have a local Porsche dealer, but as luck would have it there's one opening in five weeks just a half-hour away, so I could make do with a crappy fob until then. Maybe I could talk them into cutting me a grand-opening break.

TJ
Old 11-16-2018, 03:26 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The local aftermarket locksmith I found that could cut the keys could also program them.
Call them first, they want to sell you the key blanks and charge less for the blanks, cutting, and programming than if you buy blanks and take them to get them cut/programmed.
They are also, big surprise, cheaper than the dealer.

I went to a locksmith that said he could cut the keys, and he could not, he key copier would not hold the ket and cut it as far into the base as needed.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:32 AM
MKITGO2
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Here is what I learned.

I was similar to you, bought an '04 this summer.. but I was lucky and had two working fobs, but they were in crap shape. I looked at all the same options and you're pretty much correct. Below is the understanding I was able to pull together ( I could of course be a bit off on some details... but I think it's pretty accurate overall)

Because of the way Porsche controls the security of they key, a new programming code for the remote which is assigned to the VIN has to be requested by the dealer from the 'Mother Ship' which then allows the programming of the new transmitter (guts) in the fob to the Cayenne... and why any previous keys need to be present so they can be re-entered as any new ones are being set up. (its and all or none procedure). There are really 3 functions in the remote to deal with... 1. Remote lock/unlock 2. Anti-Theft Chip/Code 3. Physical Key blade

Careful with aftermarket guys who claim to be able to program a key. There is a function where they can program one single fob/remote (sort of an emergency procedure) to work with the car.. but my understanding is the chip reader does not allow it to start the car, you still need an original to do that, so this 1X fob can only open close.

On the FOB shells themselves. There are lots out there, without the guts, you can get fairly cheap. (Ebay, Amazon, Wish etc..) I bought two and swapped my guts and everything over, Here is what I learned:
- Your keyblade is removable, there is a split pin that holds it in
- Key blade may not be identical in width, length etc... and may cause problems in case fitment, cutting and use.
- The original case is either plastic welded, or well glued together.. you will not get it apart without breaking it.
- The new case is 2 piece and will need to be glued or siliconed closed... it does not have a clip closure system like many other fobs on the market.
- You can remove the Porsche emblem from the original with some care, and attach to the new one.
- The guts transfer over pretty easy.

One thing to note, is that all the Authentic but used Keys on Ebay are essentially useless. 1. The remote and chip function cannot be reassigned to a Car 2. You won't get that case open to reuse it without breaking it 3. Keyblade is used / usless

On mine, I ended up swapping over my key blade and it;s holder/button... which required me to massage the seat in the case a bit. But in the end it worked really well and I am happy with the result. I have some video that I was intending to put together as a DIY ... maybe I'll get my act together sooner than later and do this.

Good luck
MK
Old 11-16-2018, 01:01 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
The local aftermarket locksmith I found that could cut the keys could also program them.
Call them first, they want to sell you the key blanks and charge less for the blanks, cutting, and programming than if you buy blanks and take them to get them cut/programmed.

I went to a locksmith that said he could cut the keys, and he could not, he key copier would not hold the ket and cut it as far into the base as needed.
Local to OKC? Mind sharing? I too only have a single key and fob and it stresses me out!
Old 11-16-2018, 04:10 PM
JakeSwe
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't you single-key guys worried about the other key's whereabouts? I was with my old '06 CTTS so I took it to the dealership to get a new key and delete the missing one from the car's software. They flashed the software and asked me to have a coffee in the lobby. Then after a while they got back, embarrassed, and said they got info from the "mothership" that it would take weeks to get an updated version of the software and in the meantime my car would be a brick. Ended up driving a new Macan for that time, nice car but it had the smallest engine so I missed the grumpy old beast.
The following users liked this post:
oldskewel (02-11-2022)
Old 11-16-2018, 04:29 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
Are you saying that you found someone other than the dealer who could program the key fob to disable the immobilizer and start the car?
Did you actually have this done?

I know places that can program the key chips for a variety of cars. The ones I've asked say they cannot do Porsche.

Everything I've heard & read says what others in this thread are saying:

It needs to go to a dealer. The dealer needs the car and all the keys. They are the only ones who have the ability to encode both the car and the fobs to turn off the immobilizer to start the car.

And, based on what's being said in the above posts, the dealer communicates with Porsche HQ (Stuttgart?) and gets new codes for the car & fobs.

It would be great if this was possible. Not having to pay the stealership the outrageous rates for 5 minutes of work would be nice.
But I find it hard to believe that Porsche and the insurance companies would allow that utility (basically the ability to steal any Porsche out there) in the hands of anyone but the dealer.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:41 PM
MKITGO2
Advanced

Here is the Video I tried putting together.. .my first DIY... hope its helpful.

MK
The following users liked this post:
Beury TurboS (12-01-2020)
Old 11-17-2018, 10:57 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Awesome DIY video!

I don't recall some of these issues when I swapped cases 3 years ago...maybe sourced from a different China supplier.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:48 AM
MKITGO2
Advanced

Default Longer than I wanted

Originally Posted by v10rick
Awesome DIY video!

I don't recall some of these issues when I swapped cases 3 years ago...maybe sourced from a different China supplier.
Thanks, it turned out a lot longer than I anticipated... I guess it proves my wife right - that I like the sound of my own voice too much!

I am sure that all the variations of knock off replacements out there will generate different levels of quality and ease in swapping over. The one nice thing about knowing what the Porsche Dealer route would cost - is when a $15 case from China requires 2 hours of fine tuning and massaging... it isn't frustrating at all because your still saving a couple hundred bucks. If I had paid even $50 or $75 for those cases, i would have been ticked off for sure.

MK
Old 11-18-2018, 01:30 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

MK - I'm going to copy that post over to the DIY subforum. Thanks for taking the time to make it up - although the process seems complex - at least people will know what they're getting into if they want to go this route.

There'ya go: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-fob-case.html
Old 01-17-2019, 03:20 PM
Coach 11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MKITGO2 > Great video and it went very smoothly. I actually did not have to use a dremel to shave down the radius molding for the flip key. After i put it back together for a dry run the key fob worked perfectly with all key function working. I then took the key fob apart and used gorilla glue sparingly and put the key back together. The flip key worked perfectly however, the key button > lock-unlock and hatch and panic button would not work. The right corning light on the fob would light up when i pressed a button! Nothing else works! Any suggestions sir?

Thank-you, Coach 11
Old 01-17-2019, 07:28 PM
MKITGO2
Advanced

I had this happen on one of mine too... using the key to start the Car solved it for me. I think that if the battery is out of the fob too long it drops it's 'pairing' to the vehicle

Key in the ignition and the chip detection reassigned things (as best I can tell)

Cheers,
MK
Old 01-17-2019, 07:56 PM
natty
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lost my ONLY key after going on a day trip at the airport. Needless to say I started to panic when I couldn't find my key in my bag. After going back to the plane and looking all around, tearing apart my bag, talking to police, etc, I decided to wander back to the Cayenne.

There, sitting on the pavement being my car...was my keychain. Untouched by hands or tires for around 8 hrs. A very lucky day for me as a no-key lockout could be around $1000 -- a stolen Porsche even worse

Been researching keys since then (and being VERY careful with my only key). I found this outfit that sources Porsche fobs with the blade and cuts them for you (based on a photo of your existing blade). They guarantee it to work. Still needs to be programmed at Porsche though. Saves you a few hundred over the factory fob.

I talked to someone at the company and they were very helpful and knowledgeable.

I asked at Porsche and said they will attempt to program it but sometimes they aren't successful. I'm pretty sure the ones that fail are the used fobs or other rip off items.

Alternately, they also sell an aftermarket non-remote key-only that is supposed to unlock the door and work in the ignition for a LOT cheaper (although you still need to cut the blade and have it programmed)

Factory fob and blade
https://www.fobkeyless.com/porsche-c...lding-key.html

Non remote key
https://www.fobkeyless.com/porsche-c...lizer-key.html

Cutting service
https://www.fobkeyless.com/high-secu...t-service.html

Give them a call if you need more info
Old 01-17-2019, 08:10 PM
RSbob
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

My 08S has been at the dealer for exactly one week for only one thing, a second key. This is also at one of the Porsche premier dealerships and they have had nothing but issues getting a correctly programmed fob from the fatherland and getting a correctly cut blade. I believe they are on to the third one. In the meantime I am enjoying driving a new Macan. Oh and they are so embarrassed they are picking up the total cost. Moral to the story, be very patient and then be patient some more.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:55 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

I bet what gets a lot messed up is not choosing the correct MHZ that your original key/Cayenne used. There are two options and it is printed in micro lettering on the remote under the key blade when closed. Many of the ebay or china remote sellers do not advertise what MHZ their remotes are.

Quick Reply: Keys - Let's see if I got this straight...