Sponsored by:

very stiff steering 06 cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 12:29 PM
benjay
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very stiff steering 06 cayenne

Hoping somebody can shed some new light as I cant figure this one out.
Just installed new power steering pump as my previous one was leaking. I did not buy new pump its rebuilt.
My steering is fine when steering slowly. When faster steering is required, sharp turns, parking etc it becomes very stiff? Car speed makes no difference.
Anyway I purged the system after install leaving reservoir lid off and turning steering to each side did not fix the issue.
Then I purchased the vacuum gun. Created 20 psi of vacuum at reservoir and once again turned wheels side to side. I dont believe I have any air in the system.
Rebuilt pump and new pentosin 202 fluid. Is it a weak pump? What am I missing. If anybody can point me in the right direction thanks!
Old 10-23-2018, 02:28 PM
benjay
Track Day

my bad car speed does make a difference. i can only replicate this at very slow speeds parking lots etc. if Im parked and I put it in neutral increasing the rpm does not help the stiff steering.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:15 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Does the car have servotronic steering?
Old 10-23-2018, 06:02 PM
benjay
Track Day

Originally Posted by nodoors
Does the car have servotronic steering?
Im not sure its a recent purchase. Do I have to locate it on the rack and pinion?
I dont recall the steering being so stiff under 5 km/hr prior new pump install. Not just stiff but I do not have enough strength to turn the vehicle.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:36 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

is the servotronic fuse pulled or dead? ...for stiffness i removed mine
Old 10-24-2018, 12:57 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Is the new/used/rebuilt pump guaranteed? If so - I'd suggest asking for one that works. Sounds like it's not working. Sounds like no power steering is happening.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:11 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by benjay
Not just stiff but I do not have enough strength to turn the vehicle.
It should never be that hard to turn the wheel. Sounds like air or the rebuilt pump is garbage. You would be surprised how many 'new' and rebuilt parts don't work out of the box.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:25 AM
benjay
Track Day

I think I fixed it and Im satisfied. Its not as good as the leaking pump but its better then a day ago.
So I ordered new reservoir with filter. In the meantime I removed the reservoir and flushed the entire thing in de-greaser and hot water. A bunch of sludge came out from filter. It was dirty. Filled it back up with fluid and did another round of vacuum to the reservoir while turning wheels left and right. I can now maneuver in tight parking spaces.

Yes I agree this pump is rebuilt but it is not as smooth as my old pump. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2018, 02:11 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

I think I fixed it and Im satisfied. Its not as good as the leaking pump but its better then a day ago.
So I ordered new reservoir with filter. In the meantime I removed the reservoir and flushed the entire thing in de-greaser and hot water. A bunch of sludge came out from filter. It was dirty. Filled it back up with fluid and did another round of vacuum to the reservoir while turning wheels left and right. I can now maneuver in tight parking spaces.

Yes I agree this pump is rebuilt but it is not as smooth as my old pump. Thanks!
I have never heard of vacuum filling P/S systems. What's wrong with jacking the front and turning it clock to clock to bleed? Sometimes seals that are meant for very high pressure do not do well with vacuum depending on the style.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:26 AM
benjay
Track Day

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
I have never heard of vacuum filling P/S systems. What's wrong with jacking the front and turning it clock to clock to bleed? Sometimes seals that are meant for very high pressure do not do well with vacuum depending on the style.
i was desperate and ive heard of shops using vacuum to bring up the air as long as you stay below 25 psi. Initially i turned it clock to clock with no vacuum but i was having no luck. Attempted this procedure half dozen times.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:18 PM
Drizcol
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i was desperate and ive heard of shops using vacuum to bring up the air as long as you stay below 25 psi. Initially i turned it clock to clock with no vacuum but i was having no luck. Attempted this procedure half dozen times.
Im running into the exact same problem. I couple of weeks ago while driving I needed to take a left turn at an intersection. I slowed down to an almost stop and turned the wheel I noticed it was really hard to turn. As a matter of fact I stopped completely because it felt like the car died. When I realized it didn't die I tried to continue turn which it did but it was very very hard to turn the wheel. While driving at normal speeds or accelerating the steering feels fine. I have since replaced the power steering pump. I did the full bleed procedure about 5 times including using a vacuum pump. But I noticed something that seems odd to me. I can hear a squirting sound when turning the wheel back and fourth from lock to lock. The sound is coming from the rack. At first I thought it was just the sound of air getting blead out of the system but no matter how many times I bleed the system the sound does not go away. After researching a bad rack and pinion I didn't find anything about this squirting sound. I found plenty of information about a leak in the tierod bellow so I checked that and found no evidence of power steering fluid. After all that I made sure I wasn't seeing any bubbles in the PS revisor, Steering feels nice and smooth with wheels off the ground during the bleeding process. BUT, when take it for a drive everything is free and smooth for a block or two and as soon as I slow down steering gets very very hard again unless accelerating.
I called the manufacture of the rebuilt power steering pump. He told me that the problem sounds like debris inside the PS pump. There is a pressure fitting inside the PS pump where the the return line is conected. He suggested that I take it apart and clear any debris from this fitting and to clean it with break clean. The fitting is held in place by a 29mm nut, underneath that nut there is a plunger and a spring. I first experimented on my old PS pump and found that removing the plunger was just a matter of pushing down on the plunger which release it from its compressed position and then I was able to remove it and the spring fairly easily. I have now done this to the new pump while it was still installed on the vehicle (huge pain in the ***). I have now gone through the process of bleeding the system again, but I am still hearing this squirting sound. I installed a brand new revisor and an inline power steering filter. I also flushed all of the fluid again just to make sure all of the fluid was brand new.

I was really worried that after all of that it wouldn’t fix my steering issue. I was sure that squirting sound was an internal leak in the rack. Im happy to report that the rack is fine and the steering is back to working perfectly. The rebuild manufacturer seemed to have been right and either the plunger was just stuck or a little bit of debris was keeping it from moving.

Hicks nut, plunger and spring from Cayenne Power steering pump.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:10 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Drizcol - just offhand - what fluid did you fill the system with?
Old 03-25-2021, 01:31 PM
Drizcol
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Drizcol - just offhand - what fluid did you fill the system with?
I used the recommended Pentosin CHF 202. Its pricey but I didn't want to risk using anything else.
The following users liked this post:
deilenberger (03-26-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 07:18 PM
benjay
Track Day

Originally Posted by Drizcol
Im running into the exact same problem. I couple of weeks ago while driving I needed to take a left turn at an intersection. I slowed down to an almost stop and turned the wheel I noticed it was really hard to turn. As a matter of fact I stopped completely because it felt like the car died. When I realized it didn't die I tried to continue turn which it did but it was very very hard to turn the wheel. While driving at normal speeds or accelerating the steering feels fine. I have since replaced the power steering pump. I did the full bleed procedure about 5 times including using a vacuum pump. But I noticed something that seems odd to me. I can hear a squirting sound when turning the wheel back and fourth from lock to lock. The sound is coming from the rack. At first I thought it was just the sound of air getting blead out of the system but no matter how many times I bleed the system the sound does not go away. After researching a bad rack and pinion I didn't find anything about this squirting sound. I found plenty of information about a leak in the tierod bellow so I checked that and found no evidence of power steering fluid. After all that I made sure I wasn't seeing any bubbles in the PS revisor, Steering feels nice and smooth with wheels off the ground during the bleeding process. BUT, when take it for a drive everything is free and smooth for a block or two and as soon as I slow down steering gets very very hard again unless accelerating.
I called the manufacture of the rebuilt power steering pump. He told me that the problem sounds like debris inside the PS pump. There is a pressure fitting inside the PS pump where the the return line is conected. He suggested that I take it apart and clear any debris from this fitting and to clean it with break clean. The fitting is held in place by a 29mm nut, underneath that nut there is a plunger and a spring. I first experimented on my old PS pump and found that removing the plunger was just a matter of pushing down on the plunger which release it from its compressed position and then I was able to remove it and the spring fairly easily. I have now done this to the new pump while it was still installed on the vehicle (huge pain in the ***). I have now gone through the process of bleeding the system again, but I am still hearing this squirting sound. I installed a brand new revisor and an inline power steering filter. I also flushed all of the fluid again just to make sure all of the fluid was brand new.

I was really worried that after all of that it wouldn’t fix my steering issue. I was sure that squirting sound was an internal leak in the rack. Im happy to report that the rack is fine and the steering is back to working perfectly. The rebuild manufacturer seemed to have been right and either the plunger was just stuck or a little bit of debris was keeping it from moving.

Hicks nut, plunger and spring from Cayenne Power steering pump.
Great find! Good to hear you are all sorted out and running smoothly. Thanks for sharing.
Im onto a new PS project brought to you by Porsche. My 944 has tough steering only in one direction. Pump is rebuilt. Car will be out of storage next month so hopefully I can resolve that one.

Quick Reply: very stiff steering 06 cayenne